I passed WREB; advice for candidates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2iatrogenic

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I received my results earlier in the week, and just wanted to write a short summary of my experience and things I learned about the exam, since many of these points have not been covered in this forum. Here are some suggestions if you are planning on taking it:

1) Read the candidate guidebook 3-4 times from front to back. Then read the prep/fill/endo criteria tables 25 times. Focus on what will give you a "5" on each section, but also read what will give you lower scores.

2) Get an excellent assistant who has experience with this test. My assistant, Ericks, was the best possible assistant. He can travel to different locations and he brings along everything you need--instruments, handpieces, caries indicator, composite, ultrasonic scaler, light cure, etc. He had the rubber dam expertly placed within seconds after I confirmed anesthesia. He knew the exam inside and out. He submitted the patients for approval and grading and really took the stress away. Ericks' SDN ID is boardassistant and his email is [email protected]. He is definitely highly recommended by myself and others on SDN. I would suggest getting in touch with him early to book him for your exam date.

3) Endo suggestions:
  • Find excellent teeth. This was definitely the most difficult portion for me, partially because of bad tooth selection. You want large pulp horns, natural taper of the canals, and short, straight canals. The most desirable teeth would be maxillary central incisors and maxillary first premolars with 2 canals.
  • Make sure you measure every dimension before mounting, and follow the mounting guidelines exactly. Teeth that are mounted too apically or occlusally relative to the plastic teeth were rejected during my exam, for example.
  • Try to find teeth that you can rubber dam isolate at the same time. The optimal aforementioned combination of maxillary centrals and first premolars can be isolated together, therefore saving time when removing and replacing the dam for taking xrays.
  • Use occlusal films for taking working xrays because you can put both teeth on them at the same time. Spending time before the exam accurately measuring the length of the canals from the radiographs will save time because the first xray you need to take will be the master cone film (or the accessory cone tree if you are really confident). That applies to the lateral condensation method of filling which I was taught, but if you learned another method, stick with that. Lateral condensation could lead to fracture of the roots, especially of brittle extracted teeth. If I knew another method and had the equipment, I would have avoided lateral condensation.
4) For the restorative section, I can't emphasize enough reading the prep and fill criteria several times. The biggest difference between the way my school taught us and WREB criteria for amalgam is the converging walls. I am used to making the walls parallel, but that will give you a "3" score. DO NOT place retention grooves on your conventional amalgam preps unless you have severely overextended your proximal walls. According to WREB criteria, they are not required and will only be graded if placed. That does not apply to slot preps.

5) For patient selection, you obviously want lesions and perio that will qualify. Confirm this with any knowledgeable instructors at your school beforehand. Take multiple xrays from different angles to get the best possible view of the caries clearly getting to the DEJ (this only needs to be shown on ONE xray--either the periapical or bitewing that you submit). Since I was traveling quite a distance to take the exam, I paid Lu Lau to provide patients for me. They had all the patients and backups I could use with ideal lesions and plenty of clicks for perio; however, the service cost me $8000, so if you can find reliable patients and can put up with the stress of taking care of their lodging, transportation, food, waking up on time, etc, then you can save money by doing so.

If you have any questions/suggestions, please post them here.

Members don't see this ad.

I have one thing to add.
Since I also traveled from California to San Antonio, I brought my patient with me. My assistant found my patient for me. But I didn't have to pay her much neither. I spent about $3000 for the patient (with 2 class two) and assistant (this including room & board & food).

I found a local assistant in San Antonio and she found me a perio patient for less than $500. I think that is very cheap considering how many fmx she has to take to find the qualified patient.
If you have to travel, find a perio patient with many quads so you can share cost with other candidates. That's also money saving.

I prefer to bring my own class II because I want to check out lesions first with explorer, meet the patient and make sure he is not a psycho, and I want a patient with 2 class II so I can submit them together (that save time). I also try out the rubber dam on patient first. I took his impressions, pour up a couple of cast with die stone, try rubber dam, modified the clamp to make sure it is customized to fit the tooth (I had to clamp #17). I also did the ideal prep on the casts the day before the exam and had my professor criticized it. Before that, I spent the whole month cutting just plastic teeth to make sure I got every possible worst scenario that can happen cover, and every tooth I did got checked & criticized by several professors and I took this very seriously. I usually put the model prep in front of me, then try to make the same prep (Well, not 100% but 99%)

For RCT, bring your own gutta percha, the one that you always use, so you can gauge the consistency and can avoid gutta percha extruding the apex.

Don't try to save a few penny. If you have to fly a patient out, keep him until Monday afternoon. Even if you have to pay one extra day for hotel and food, then so what? I have seen people rushing to restore a tooth because the patient has to catch her flight at 5 pm and ended up not doing a perfect restoration and got pink slip for open margin, high spot, etc...Being poorer $500 is a lot better than spending another 10G to take the test again.
Pay your assistant a little more so she can find you good patient, so you can spent time studying for the computer portion. I got perfect score on those and that bring my total score all the way up.

DO NOT SUBMIT ADJACENT TEETH at the same time. Even if the lesions are not adjacent. You will get pink for submit #12 DO & #13 DO together. Read that manual like 300 times and watch the CD, memorize it and don't let them catch you. The least they know about you, the better it is.

Good luck to all of you
Tink

Thank you for sharing your invaluable experiences. :D:D My WREB will be in Cleveland next April. I'm been busy screening for ideal lesions. Tough tasks.:oops::oops:

Members don't see this ad :)
I took my boards in San Antonio too and passed with a very high score. I flew from other state with my patients and assistant. I had a bad experience with my endo teeth. My anterior got accepted in the first shot but posterior got rejected ( reason was they couldn't see the apex putty clearly on the radiograph.) I didn't have a back up so Some student in the orientation gave me a tooth which had huge occlusal restoration. As i didn't have choice I submitted that tooth. My endo was on Sunday morning and I was working on my perio patient on Saturday morning. That's when I got the bad news saying that my other endo tooth got rejected as the restoration is violating the pulp chamber . I was looking to find some extra teeth and Some other candidate gave me a tooth that was not radiographed. I requested some dental office and they got back to me at 10:00 PM saying that they can open the office for me to radiograph the tooth. I radiographed the tooth at 11:00 PM in the night and went to school next day morning at 6:30AM to mount the tooth and take final radiographs. I submitted the radiographs at 8:00 AM and my exam was at 8:15AM. I started working on my anterior tooth and after 30 min I got my posterior tooth which finally got accepted. Even with all the tension I could pass with a very good score .
So my only suggestion is look for the teeth way ahead(real good teeth).In my opinion upper 1st premolars are really good . As long as you don't loose orientation they are so easy to work with. I opened my access in less than 5 minutes. Don't loose hopes and try your best.

For rubber dam placement on WREB, where did you put the clamps at ?

There is no official WREB criteria on where the clamp is to be placed, but the more posterior you place the clamp, the better the visibility but the more difficult it becomes to actually place it. I didn't have to worry about this aspect at all because my assistant (Ericks, SDN ID boardassistant, who posted right above this) placed it perfectly. Remember, you are graded on the quality of your rubber dam placement! If the prep becomes wet or bloody while your patient is waiting to be seen by graders, you will lose points.

If I didn't stress it enough before, I want to do so now: get a great trustworthy assistant who will go the extra mile for you. You are investing a lot of time and money into this, and it would be silly to fail because you wanted to save a few bucks and hire an inexperienced assistant (or use a family member).

I worked on #18, so I had to clamp the partially erupted 17, so it was from #17 to #22 for me. Not that bad though.
The other tooth is #13, I clamp #14 to #10.

Hi
I took WREB last weekend.Every thing went fine except for endo in which i had a apical puff of sealer about 2mm and little piece gutta percha sitting high up in the pulp chamber which i noticed at the time of final xray when i had just 1 minute left for submission.Couldnt do any thing at that time.Does any one had any idea how that would affect my score in endo?Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Dear Dr,
How can find the question for both computor exam.
Thank You,
Karu [email protected]

I don't know of anybody that had the questions....I just studied dental decks for part II, the questions are very clinical....perio is easy, but be ready for prostho! Very important, don't waste time playing with the interactive models!!!!

If somebody passed the california clinical board exam pl. share their experiences too.I really apreciate.
:thumbup:

I received my results earlier in the week, and just wanted to write a short summary of my experience and things I learned about the exam, since many of these points have not been covered in this forum. Here are some suggestions if you are planning on taking it:

1) Read the candidate guidebook 3-4 times from front to back. Then read the prep/fill/endo criteria tables 25 times. Focus on what will give you a "5" on each section, but also read what will give you lower scores.

2) Get an excellent assistant who has experience with this test. My assistant, Ericks, was the best possible assistant. He can travel to different locations and he brings along everything you need--instruments, handpieces, caries indicator, composite, ultrasonic scaler, light cure, etc. He had the rubber dam expertly placed within seconds after I confirmed anesthesia. He knew the exam inside and out. He submitted the patients for approval and grading and really took the stress away. Ericks' SDN ID is boardassistant and his email is [email protected]. He is definitely highly recommended by myself and others on SDN. I would suggest getting in touch with him early to book him for your exam date.

3) Endo suggestions:
  • Find excellent teeth. This was definitely the most difficult portion for me, partially because of bad tooth selection. You want large pulp horns, natural taper of the canals, and short, straight canals. The most desirable teeth would be maxillary central incisors and maxillary first premolars with 2 canals.
  • Make sure you measure every dimension before mounting, and follow the mounting guidelines exactly. Teeth that are mounted too apically or occlusally relative to the plastic teeth were rejected during my exam, for example.
  • Try to find teeth that you can rubber dam isolate at the same time. The optimal aforementioned combination of maxillary centrals and first premolars can be isolated together, therefore saving time when removing and replacing the dam for taking xrays.
  • Use occlusal films for taking working xrays because you can put both teeth on them at the same time. Spending time before the exam accurately measuring the length of the canals from the radiographs will save time because the first xray you need to take will be the master cone film (or the accessory cone tree if you are really confident). That applies to the lateral condensation method of filling which I was taught, but if you learned another method, stick with that. Lateral condensation could lead to fracture of the roots, especially of brittle extracted teeth. If I knew another method and had the equipment, I would have avoided lateral condensation.
4) For the restorative section, I can't emphasize enough reading the prep and fill criteria several times. The biggest difference between the way my school taught us and WREB criteria for amalgam is the converging walls. I am used to making the walls parallel, but that will give you a "3" score. DO NOT place retention grooves on your conventional amalgam preps unless you have severely overextended your proximal walls. According to WREB criteria, they are not required and will only be graded if placed. That does not apply to slot preps.

5) For patient selection, you obviously want lesions and perio that will qualify. Confirm this with any knowledgeable instructors at your school beforehand. Take multiple xrays from different angles to get the best possible view of the caries clearly getting to the DEJ (this only needs to be shown on ONE xray--either the periapical or bitewing that you submit). Since I was traveling quite a distance to take the exam, I paid Lu Lau to provide patients for me. They had all the patients and backups I could use with ideal lesions and plenty of clicks for perio; however, the service cost me $8000, so if you can find reliable patients and can put up with the stress of taking care of their lodging, transportation, food, waking up on time, etc, then you can save money by doing so.

If you have any questions/suggestions, please post them here.

How about the PATP section? How do you study for that? What are the secret key items are they looking for?

Hi
I took WREB last weekend.Every thing went fine except for endo in which i had a apical puff of sealer about 2mm and little piece gutta percha sitting high up in the pulp chamber which i noticed at the time of final xray when i had just 1 minute left for submission.Couldnt do any thing at that time.Does any one had any idea how that would affect my score in endo?Thanks

I bet they would only take less than 0.5 point off as long as there is no voids

Does anyone have any advice on printing good-quality x-rays on gloss paper like the WREB indicates? I've done some printing and the class II lesion is visible but the general quality of the x-ray is slightly lost (appears a little bit pixelated) in comparison to being viewed on the computer. Not sure if this is normal or if I should keep on messing with the image formats (if that's even the problem..).. a bit worried if this will cause problems at acceptance