I overslept and missed a day at my hospital APPE, how do i prevent this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Amphetamine Salts

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
i ended up oversleeping 2 nights ago and wasn't able to come in yesterday. sleep schedule was complete trash that night, went to bed at 8pm-ish because i was so tired, woke up at 1-2 am, decided to spend some time on the computer, suddenly it's 4:30 am, decide to get a 1.5 hour rest and wake up at 6 am to get to the hospital. Turns out i forgot to turn the alarm on and woke up around 11 am. my preceptor seemed understanding of it and today she never mentioned the situation. i pretty much missed patient counseling in the morning and an informal meeting involving some residents who were going over a particular disease state. my school knows that i missed a day and when i asked my APPE coordinator over the phone what happens to me now he said "i don't know, i'll talk to your preceptor and see how she feels about it, don't lose any sleep over it, ironically" he then chuckled a bit there. so yeah, not sure what's gonna happen now. APPE coordinator wants me to get back to him in terms of what me and preceptor decide as a make up. right now i'm just sitting in the back of the IV room suppose to be working on a presentation for a certain drug. preceptor is off doing her management type things (she's the manager of the pharmacy). anyone have any uplifting comments or advice on how i can prevent this from happening again? thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Don't sleep too early again? And always set your alarm clock? I used to set my phone alarm and a radio clock alarm back in the day.

Reactions: 1 user
I mean the obvious way to avoid this happening again is to always use an alarm. The temptation to "just close my eyes for a second" after turning off the alarm needs to be ignored every time.

While this is obviously bad, I highly doubt that you will have to do anything worse than come in early one day or stay late sometime. You might not even have to do that much. You did the right thing by being honest and trying to make amends immediately. Everyone makes mistakes, at least you took responsibility and are trying to make it right, very professional of you. Keep us posted on what your preceptor decides to do but don't get too discouraged. And maybe stay off your phone the rest of the day while you are at your APPE site. ;)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Don't sleep too early again? And always set your alarm clock? I used to set my phone alarm and a radio clock alarm back in the day.
yeah i'm trying to stop taking naps after appes, i always get so tired when i'm back home, the napping screws up my sleep schedule

I mean the obvious way to avoid this happening again is to always use an alarm. The temptation to "just close my eyes for a second" after turning off the alarm needs to be ignored every time.

While this is obviously bad, I highly doubt that you will have to do anything worse than come in early one day or stay late sometime. You might not even have to do that much. You did the right thing by being honest and trying to make amends immediately. Everyone makes mistakes, at least you took responsibility and are trying to make it right, very professional of you. Keep us posted on what your preceptor decides to do but don't get too discouraged. And maybe stay off your phone the rest of the day while you are at your APPE site. ;)
turns out we set a make up day in 2 weeks. i'm suppose to come in standard time and there will be stuff to do. i think i got off easy this time, i'm still kinda bummed and embarrassed. overslept and missed the day, preceptor didn't have my number so she had no choice but the call one of the coordinators at my school since i woke up so late at like 11:20 am

last night i went out and bought myself a jumbo alarm, going to use that as well as multiple phone alarms for the rest of the APPE

It's not that big of a deal. I don't even know why the pharmacist called the school. Douche move to me. I would have waited until you contacted me or came in the next day and went from there. I'm a preceptor and havn't had any issues. Calling the school is always last resort. At least for me.

Reactions: 7 users
It's not that big of a deal. I don't even know why the pharmacist called the school. Douche move to me. I would have waited until you contacted me or came in the next day and went from there. I'm a preceptor and havn't had any issues. Calling the school is always last resort. At least for me.
I was thinking the same thing. Could easily have been settled between the student and preceptor without involving the school. To each their own I guess.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using SDN mobile

Only reason I can see this is if you never got contact from the student (no phone call, email, etc) and you had no way of contacting them (you didn't have their personal cell) and you were actually concerned that something bad may have happened. You always hear those stories where somebody doesn't show up for work and after like the fifth day, then they finally call the police and find them dead.

Although the chances that is what was going through the preceptor's mind are probably fairly low, and they were just "one of those". But ya - I would probably give you a make up day/stay late a few days to make it up.

How do you prevent it? pretty easy - set your alarm

Reactions: 2 users
what school of pharmacy do you attend. are all your classmates like you? I want to warn everyone about your school

i ended up oversleeping 2 nights ago and wasn't able to come in yesterday. sleep schedule was complete trash that night, went to bed at 8pm-ish because i was so tired, woke up at 1-2 am, decided to spend some time on the computer, suddenly it's 4:30 am, decide to get a 1.5 hour rest and wake up at 6 am to get to the hospital. Turns out i forgot to turn the alarm on and woke up around 11 am. my preceptor seemed understanding of it and today she never mentioned the situation. i pretty much missed patient counseling in the morning and an informal meeting involving some residents who were going over a particular disease state. my school knows that i missed a day and when i asked my APPE coordinator over the phone what happens to me now he said "i don't know, i'll talk to your preceptor and see how she feels about it, don't lose any sleep over it, ironically" he then chuckled a bit there. so yeah, not sure what's gonna happen now. APPE coordinator wants me to get back to him in terms of what me and preceptor decide as a make up. right now i'm just sitting in the back of the IV room suppose to be working on a presentation for a certain drug. preceptor is off doing her management type things (she's the manager of the pharmacy). anyone have any uplifting comments or advice on how i can prevent this from happening again? thanks

I'll reply later to this a little longer, but for now, considering that they told you they are meeting to decide your MAKEUP, I doubt you are going to fail or get kicked out of school so you can relax a little.

I would have called the school too, if a student was over 5 hours late and I had no phone number for the student. Too to get the student in trouble, but because I would be concerned that there was a mix-up or misunderstanding about the schedule (or worse case scenario an accident.) Of course, the ideal is to get a contact number for the student on the first day, so that the student can be called directly.

OP, this isn't a big deal in the grande scheme of things. You just want to make sure it doesn't happen again, and it seems like you've taken good precautions in that regard.

It was about 3 and a half hours from my start time (8 am) before i finally was awake and able to make contact with my preceptor and APPE coordinator. Preceptor didn't have my phone number at all so I think that's why she called the school, no way to get in touch with me and it had been a few hours. Is it common for students and preceptor to exchange phone numbers the first day? She now has my number because I called her cell phone (which was included in e-mails she sent me)

It was about 3 and a half hours from my start time (8 am) before i finally was awake and able to make contact with my preceptor and APPE coordinator. Preceptor didn't have my phone number at all so I think that's why she called the school, no way to get in touch with me and it had been a few hours. Is it common for students and preceptor to exchange phone numbers the first day? She now has my number because I called her cell phone (which was included in e-mails she sent me)
I gave all my contact info in my initial email to my preceptors. I assumed it was common courtesy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using SDN mobile

Phone # and photo is standard practice when we on board students, we're also responsible for you so being a no-show sets off alarms for us.

Students are part of our daily clinical workflow and thus also part of departmental communications...which includes being on the emergency phone tree.

If a student no-shows, it's treated as if a pharmacist no-shows, so we react with the same concerns and courtesies we afford our paid staff. Obviously, life happens, so one-off events are handled with make-up days and the ability for the student to move on from it. Keyword = one-off.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
I never had a preceptor ask for a photo. Seriously

Phone # and photo is standard practice when we on board students, we're also responsible for you so being a no-show sets off alarms for us.

Students are part of our daily clinical workflow and thus also part of departmental communications...which includes being on the emergency phone tree.

If a student no-shows, it's treated as if a pharmacist no-shows, so we react with the same concerns and courtesies we afford our paid staff. Obviously, life happens, so one-off events are handled with make-up days and the ability for the student to move on from it. Keyword = one-off.

You ask for pictures? That's a little weird to be honest...

Photos lol i'm done. I want a family tree and contacts to everyone who's ever met you and all of your social media pages lol Seriously missing one day of one rotation and we assume the person is dead? **** happens. If not having a unpaid intern effects your workflow or pharmacy business that much you got issues far more than the intern missing a day.

Photos lol i'm done. I want a family tree and contacts to everyone who's ever met you and all of your social media pages lol Seriously missing one day of one rotation and we assume the person is dead? **** happens. If not having a unpaid intern effects your workflow or pharmacy business that much you got issues far more than the intern missing a day.

For real, is that even allowed? I can't pretend to know ACPE standards but surly your pharmacy isn't supposed to need the students to keep functioning?

UF uses PharmAcademic and that shows photos, so maybe it isn't as weird as some people seem to think it is. :shrug:

Photos = security protocol, they're taken at orientation and sheet showing all the students and visiting residents from other facilities are distributed to the department.

Workflow = I just want to know whether I need to start the clinical program or wait for your late ass to show up. When my students are present, they run the entire clinical program with (if they're good) minimal oversight.

so what happened was i scheduled a make up day in 2 weeks on saturday. also just now i got cc'd in an e-mail to my preceptor from one of the APPE field supervisors. apparently she wants to schedule a visit to discuss my rotation with me, sigh. i feel like i just created something to do for the field supervisors. one oversleeping event and they're coming down to watch me lol.. i wonder what will happen next, surely this isn't the end of it! lol

in all seriousness i think they will leave me be by the time my second rotation rolls around, at that point i'd be starting "fresh" i believe

Standard practice and outlined in your APPE manual most likely. If a student did not show up for rotation and did not call. I would contact the school out of concern. This also gets lumped in with professionalism and dependability. If this happens when you are a pharmacist, the pharmacy might not open and that would be a serious issue for your employer. Better to learn the lesson now.

It is good you are taking ownership of the mistake and trying not to repeat it in the future. A lot of students we see now seem to blame everyone else for their shortcomings.

Reactions: 2 users
I once did nearly exactly the same thing as you've done.

I was in the middle of a particularly hellacious week, and I was trying to really knock a journal club out of the park. I'd discovered that the researchers had intentionally fudged their NNT by using a normal NNT, and was trying to teach myself how to calculate the number for this crazy study.
I stayed up until about 4am finishing up, printing, and getting the jc ready.
So, I wake up at around 10am (rotation started at 7) on my couch because my preceptor had been texting and called, which woke me up.
I went in, gave the JC, and then voluntarily after confirming with preceptor, found extra cases to follow and did another journal club.

I ended up getting an A in the rotation because I did way more than what was necessary after I missed that day.
I went to Ikea and bought a little battery operated manual alarm clock, bells and all.

I never missed anything again.

what school of pharmacy do you attend. are all your classmates like you? I want to warn everyone about your school

Speck, plank in eye, etc...

On my intro form I send students I added the line "emergency contact" for stuff like this.

Bro, put on an alarm. That's it.

You forgot to put one on. Deal with it.

What are you? A 12 years old?

Be more responsible and realize that your life is real.
Everyone here has been through worse than what you`ve described. I didn`t miss my APPE even when there was a hurricane.

Put your phone away before you go to bed

What are you? A 12 years old?

Be more responsible and realize that your life is real.
Everyone here has been through worse than what you`ve described. I didn`t miss my APPE even when there was a hurricane.

I agree with your post, but re: hurricane, what kind of preceptor wants a student to come in for a hurricane?

That's a double liability issue to me - exposing your student to travel risk (not sure if restrictions by local authorities are in place), and that's one extra unnecessary body in the hospital that could be facing a triage situation.

I agree with your post, but re: hurricane, what kind of preceptor wants a student to come in for a hurricane?

That's a double liability issue to me - exposing your student to travel risk (not sure if restrictions by local authorities are in place), and that's one extra unnecessary body in the hospital that could be facing a triage situation.

It was 2012. There was some kind of hurricane passing near South Florida... and the train I usually use wasn`t operating due to some rail obstructions & heavy rain. I asked my preceptor if we are operating as usual and he said very much yes so I drove all the way down there through rain and made it there in time.

I can emphasize with the original poster and would not mind giving him some soothing comments..
,but I found it personally unacceptable to ask people here how to get up early in the morning.

I had to figure that out when I was 8 years old.. and it`s the absolute minimum requirement to become a responsible member of society.

I woke up late too! Approximately 1.5 hrs late. Got dinged on my mid eval.
Edit: hrs

This kid is on here asking how to wake up in the morning? WTF???