I made a Med School Search Engine for Aussie Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drgearson

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm a recent med grad from USyd and over our summer I made this page with a mate to help with the very confusing process.

Don't have every country yet / work in progress.

http://worldwidemed.co/

Would love you guys to check it out and give some feedback. Do you find it useful?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
This is incredible!
I like how user friendly it is, very easy to navigate etc. for pre-medical students. Very well structured.
Is there a list of sources? (I may not have navigated enough) - as in is it just a compilation of school info direct from school websites and brochures?

The main issue I have (and I have the same issue with med school sites, recruitment agencies etc) - is that there's no discussion of what happens after you graduate. If there is a page for that, feel free to direct me to it!

For international students anyways, they should know what their chances are of obtaining postgraduate training is after grad, both at home and overseas. At least it should be clear to them, that just graduating with a medical degree does not necessarily mean you're automatically entitled to residency anywhere in the world. The process of applying for jobs after med school is just as confusing by the way, if you're international. I wish someone had created a website for that too of equal calibre to what you've put together.

It's perhaps outside of your website aims. However, I do think it's unfair to international full-fee paying students to not know what their opportunities are upfront after graduation, if they're expected to pay $300k in tuition for a degree in Australia for instance.

e.g. for those heading to the USA for residency, they have an additional up to 10-20k USD they'd have to foot for board exams, travel for interviews and applications. Vast majority of international students who attempt to obtain residency in North America for instance, will end up in Family Practice or some form of primary care. There's a degree of discrimination against non-North American medical degrees for those intending to practice Canada or the USA - they're labeled IMGs regardless of nationality. If not discrimination, then stigma definitely. Australian internships for international students are not a guarantee either, and every year the number of international students are increasing in Australian (not just domestic students). It's already a competitive market, I can't imagine what it will be like in a 4-6 years. Not to mention, the end of the training pipeline is also uncertain unless you go into private practice in a number of subspecialties.

To clarify further, what's your affiliation if any?
i.e. is this an independent project to help students free of charge, or is this connected with medical schools for profit?

Last edited:
Hey mate

To be upfront – no affiliation with any Med Schools, we aim to be free and independent!

Sources are various, from the unis themselves, to past students' word-of-mouth. Some of it is stuff the unis don't publish, but will disclose when pushed. The data is a work in progress and we are aiming to refine, as well as work out the best way to keep it up to date.

The post-grad thing is interesting, and something we haven't discussed at length. You make a strong point for the inclusion of something like that. People don't want to be left high and dry, especially those forking out the big bucks.

I would see that as a section like 'After gradudation' with prospects of hospital placements, international recognition of that country's degrees etc etc? Is that what you're picturing?

Thanks for the feedback.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Damn! That's a bloody professional looking website, I wondered if $$$ was involved.
Glad to hear it's free and independent :)

Thanks for the clarifications

It's exactly what I had in mind, an 'after grad section.'
It's a potentially massive undertaking in itself though. However, at least a brief Q&A format or "faq" type of thing is better than nothing at all, to serve as a warning or "before you buy" type of thing for the full fee paying guys. The problems don't end when you get into medical school. They just evolve.

Almost all of schools in United States as well as some Australian schools have pre requisites. I think it would be better if it was taken into consideration.
And this is so great. Thank you for your effort. It's so boring to find information with google.

hesble's post about pre-reqs made me think a bit more about the school courses themselves and how it's served them after grad. since starting work I've had students from schools different to mine rotating through or worked with people who attended different places. It's interesting how much diversity there is in many Australian schools. But as a pre-med, you have any idea. Many just go off what's easier to get into, if students are happy in the course and what the "world ranking is" etc.

Anyway,
one clarification that could be made under the "course" section is that "Preparing for practice" is widely considered the pre-internship term or year. Not all schools have this. And I can see students confusing that title or term with regular core rotations that clinical year students take which is completely different.

i.e. a surgical rotation is a regular clinical rotation or clerkship where you learn about surgery for the first time. a pre-intern on surgery implies that you've already done the core surgery rotation before and passed. you're now just shadowing the residents and interns on their surgical rotation, learning how to do their jobs and actually sharing their jobs but under their supervision.

On the side/off topic,
Reason why the pre-internship is not widely part of all curricula - Uni Melb for instance has pre-requisites (not all schools do - some schools have 0 pre reqs, bit scary for business and arts students going into med having never taken a single science course in their life) and their prereqs are there because their students do one pre-clinical year and 3 clinical years with one research semester in there. Others like JCU and Monash have longer degrees. Monash is a 5 year one.

(it's by no means the equivalent to the 'subintern' year by the way, for any North Americans snooping into this thread)

hesble's post about pre-reqs made me think a bit more about the school courses themselves and how it's served them after grad. since starting work I've had students from schools different to mine rotating through or worked with people who attended different places. It's interesting how much diversity there is in many Australian schools. But as a pre-med, you have any idea. Many just go off what's easier to get into, if students are happy in the course and what the "world ranking is" etc.

Anyway,
one clarification that could be made under the "course" section is that "Preparing for practice" is widely considered the pre-internship term or year. Not all schools have this. And I can see students confusing that title or term with regular core rotations that clinical year students take which is completely different.

i.e. a surgical rotation is a regular clinical rotation or clerkship where you learn about surgery for the first time. a pre-intern on surgery implies that you've already done the core surgery rotation before and passed. you're now just shadowing the residents and interns on their surgical rotation, learning how to do their jobs and actually sharing their jobs but under their supervision.

On the side/off topic,
Reason why the pre-internship is not widely part of all curricula - Uni Melb for instance has pre-requisites (not all schools do - some schools have 0 pre reqs, bit scary for business and arts students going into med having never taken a single science course in their life) and their prereqs are there because their students do one pre-clinical year and 3 clinical years with one research semester in there. Others like JCU and Monash have longer degrees. Monash is a 5 year one.

(it's by no means the equivalent to the 'subintern' year by the way, for any North Americans snooping into this thread)
A research concludes that there's almost no differences between science students and other students after they start working in hospitals. However science students generally score higher in USMLE step 1&2 so maybe it's not so scary. Well, that's just another topic and the conclusion isn't necessarily accurate. Especially when people don't know who publishes it.

The reason why I brought up the "pre req" thing is that.......
If only I had the chance to take science classes........
I mean, the system in North America and other countries are quite different. In North America, law and medicine are considered professional education, or graduate education . But in most of other countries, they are undergraduate. In my country, there are some universities that only have law and medicine majors. And unfortunately, I am studying at a law school. I have taken very few science classes since admitted into university because the school don't have many except something like computer science or forensic. All of the science classes are at introductory level. I have heard that medical schools require that students should take science classes at science majors' level ( corret me if I am wrong), which is another problem. Neither do I think introductory level classes are enough for studying medicine.

Another tricky thing is that we are not allowed to take classes other than what you are required to. For example, our school do have calculus class and it could only be taken by students who major in financial law. What I mean is that you are more than welcomed to sit in the classroom, but you can't get semester hours or grades of this curriculum.

I am curious about the students who have never taken science classes. Haven't they taken them in high school? I took all of them at that time. Besides, all of applicants are required to take MCAT or GAMSAT, aren't they? If they never took those classes, how did they make it to med school? Maybe it's argumentative, I think self-studying is a lot harder. I am going over the science lessons on my own (Thanks to resources on Internet ), it's obvious that what I have learnt before comes back really quickly, however, I am struggling with college level chemistry, especially biochemistry. It is said that GAMSAT requires less science knowledge. Anyway, I would love to know how they became med students.

I am also wondering what is a research semester. I thought all of the med students are required to have research experience by the time they graduate. Do you mean that schools that have 0 pre reqs don't reqiure research semester?

Lol, Sorry hesble a lot of your comments digress from the point I'm trying to make.

My main point was for there to be clarification on the lovely website about the pre-internship year.
And there needing to be a distinction on what that is. Also - why it exists in some schools (or why it can exist) and why it cannot at others.

Also your response also veers off the topic for drgearson's thread.
He's doing as service for premedical students and is looking for people to help him make it better.

I'm not going to respond to your questions and observations further in this thread.
It also kinda prevents others from jumping as we go on tangents. Which ends up being unfair to the OP/original poster.
Try remember to be aware of other people around you. Next time do a new thread on the topic you wish to discuss or PM directly.

What I will do is start a new thread addressing what you've asked - how does that sound? I'll see you over there.

Lol, Sorry hesble a lot of your comments digress from the point I'm trying to make.

My main point was for there to be clarification on the lovely website about the pre-internship year.
And there needing to be a distinction on what that is. Also - why it exists in some schools (or why it can exist) and why it cannot at others.

Also your response also veers off the topic for drgearson's thread.
He's doing as service for premedical students and is looking for people to help him make it better.

I'm not going to respond to your questions and observations further in this thread.
It also kinda prevents others from jumping as we go on tangents. Which ends up being unfair to the OP/original poster.
Try remember to be aware of other people around you. Next time do a new thread on the topic you wish to discuss or PM directly.

What I will do is start a new thread addressing what you've asked - how does that sound? I'll see you over there.
Oops, My mistake. I shouldn't have changed the topic. Sorry for that.

BTW, just as @A Leaky Sieve has mentioned, it's advised to add "the future"on the website. It's possible that students who wish to go to Australia would spend huge amouts of money and get nothing in return. It's also said that going to Europe means almost no chance of working there.

Besides Australian and European schools, for example, Singapore National University also has a similar graduate entry medicine program. (SNU-DUKE)
Because Duke University's title is added on the program, some American students thought that graduating from SNU makes them a American Medical School Graduate, which is not true. So it's very wise to warn people before they invest 300k.

hesble and A Leaky Sieve, thanks so much for your thoughts, even if we did get a bit tangential there for a bit!

I agree that prospects "After Graduation" should be a really important factor in decision making and it's often hard to sift through the noise so a summary/explanation of this is definitely in the works for Worldwide Med.

The suggestion of clarifying pre-requisites is something we have tried to do within each school's page, but the variation is huge and I know our data on that isn't comprehensive so that's still a work in progress! The same goes for the various course structures (including the presence/absence of a pre-internship term) and 'quality'/student experience. All great feedback, though, so thanks a lot!

I guess another thing we would love to hear your thoughts on is how best to get Worldwide Med out there? We don't have a heap of cash behind us but would love it to help as many students (around the world) as possible - any suggestions on how we could get it in front of them?

Cheers.

PS in our next expansion we plan to add the rest of the medical schools in Europe, the Middle East and Asia that teach in English, before we start on the Carribbean ones...

http://worldwidemed.co

Just sent an email to your side,for UK medical schools graduate entry,hope you view it and make the changes :)

Off the top of my head,
Social media.
Everyone's on facebook so a facebook page?
Or buying a cheapo facebook ad. I can never open up facebook now without some obnoxious advertising asking me if I want to attend med school in Cypress or the Carribbean. About 5+ years too late for me. Or ads for locuming.
Reddit (has a Meddit) Tumblr (Has a Premedblr subsection), Pinterest, Twitter, Instagram. etc.

Seeing if the SDN overlords are happy for you to post the website link to other parts of SDN forums.

Emailing student or medical associations, like AMSA or AMA, to see if they're happy for you to have a link on their website (or webpage dedicated to premeds). Or medical student societies, because they do get premeds that solicit their advice.

Expanding to include Asia and the Middle east - this is a really ambitious project!
G'luck :) and pretty sure a lot of premeds will appreciate it

This is seriously awesome….instead of rushing here and there I can find info on a single site. However there are certain improvement areas like, add more schools to the list, link of school website, approx. tuition fee for the courses and lastly some career paths / advice for the future will make it more popular

That is by far the most aesthetically pleasing UI I've encountered of all med websites. Great job OP, kinda wish I had it when I started on my journey. In agreement with those above that adding a pre-req section would be really helpful to those new to the game. I'm more than willing to help with the compilation of aussie medical schs so PM me if you need assistance but other than that, keep up the good work :)