I love Scotch

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I went backwards; I started on scotch (don't love the super smoky/peaty ones like Laphroig), Ardbeg, Glenfiddich >15yr, and basically any maccallan are good. But I've moved more to Bourbon's and a good spicy Rye.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Any opinions on laphroig select? I just got a bottle from a buddy last week. Haven't tried it yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
Any opinions on laphroig select? I just got a bottle from a buddy last week. Haven't tried it yet.

Tried it, preferred the 10 as it was a bit more peaty. The select seems better for folks that find the 10 a bit too much, but I like the 10 for everyday drinking with some ice/water to open it up.

For my birthday, I got a glass of, believe it or not, Yamzaki 18 year. That was one of the smoothest scotches (or whisky,) I had. It had a light smoke, and very mild citrus that seem to hang for a while. I can see how the company won awards a few years back.

Oban 12 and 18 years are also quite tasty.

Though my heart goes to Glenmorangie. I am rather embarrassed to admit it, but I was inspired to try it by the original Highlander movie. "Double Glenmorangie on the rocks." Though I seriously question director Russel Mulcahy's choice to put ice in it. If I want it cool, I'll use scotch rocks. I have just picked up two sets of "scotch rocks" in the shape of (more geekery of me here,) twenty-sided dice. https://www.artisandice.com/order/scotch-rock-d20s/

I tried MacCallan in August. Not a fan of it, but I can see the desire for it.

Had the chance to try Ardberg tonight, as it was available in the bar. So as to not to honk off fans of it (because I know it appeals to be few on the board,) I will just say it wasn't for me.

Reactions: 2 users
For my birthday, I got a glass of, believe it or not, Yamzaki 18 year. That was one of the smoothest scotches (or whisky,) I had. It had a light smoke, and very mild citrus that seem to hang for a while. I can see how the company won awards a few years back.

Though my heart goes to Glenmorangie. I am rather embarrassed to admit it, but I was inspired to try it by the original Highlander movie. "Double Glenmorangie on the rocks." Though I seriously question director Russel Mulcahy's choice to put ice in it. If I want it cool, I'll use scotch rocks. I have just picked up two sets of "scotch rocks" in the shape of (more geekery of me here,) twenty-sided dice. https://www.artisandice.com/order/scotch-rock-d20s/

Had the chance to try Ardberg tonight, as it was available in the bar. So as to not to honk off fans of it (because I know it appeals to be few on the board,) I will just say it wasn't for me.

Scotch rock d20s are now ordered, thanks!
I think we are the same person based on scotch drinking choices.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Been experimenting with my Scotch choices lately... Just got a 52 year old Carsebridge (grain) whisky. It's good. Very good. And basically a steal compared to any other well-matured Scotch.

I feel like right now is a good time to experiment with grain whisky before it too, likely, becomes overly bloated in price like our favorite malt Scotch distillers. I've been very pleased with Carsebridge, Girvan, Invergordon, and Cambus. However, grain whisky tends to be on the subtle end of things since, in Scotland, it is commonly aged in second or third-fill Bourbon barrels. So, it's not for the super peat heads out there... but for anyone who likes their subtle, interesting whiskies, I encourage you give it a go!

Reactions: 1 users
Just tried a springbank burgundy 12 tonight. Quite a tasty single malt! I highly recommend it.

Springbank is fantastic. Subtle, nuanced, I'm a big fan. I'll keep an eye out for that one. The only finished one I can get around here is the 21 yo Sherry cask. But at $400+ it's a little steep for a 21yo. The plain old 10 is amazing for a 10yo. That's in short supply as well. Special order material.

--
Il Destriero

Anyone else here tried the Douglas Laing "Old Particular" series? They bottle single casks and the pricing is reasonable. K&L Wines carries them, if you're in a state that allows for mail order of spirits. I've been working on an 18-year-old Tobermory and just got a 23-year-old cask strength Macallan that is excellent. Worth getting on the K&L mailing list, the Macallan sold out in less than a day.

Who would have thought that Japanese Whisky would ever be something we actually pay money to drink!

Who would have thought that Japanese Whisky would ever be something we actually pay money to drink!
Right? I find some of their 'lower' end stuff fills an interesting niche. Things like Nikka from the Barrel, Nikka Coffey Grain/Malt, Yamazaki/Hibiki 12, Chichibu. It's not always complex stuff, but has some distinct flavor profiles. However, especially with the current ludicrous prices, I've never quite found a place for the higher-end stuff that isn't better served by a similarly priced bottle from Scotland.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a chance to drink a couple glasses of the Talisker Storm while watching NBA playoffs.

talob.non7.jpg

It's from the isle of Skye, and has the beautiful peat flavor that you'd expect from an Island scotch.

Nose--light and floral, with hints of vanilla.
Taste-- smokey, caramel, earthy tones. Plenty of peat.
Finish--Smooth, sweet like molasses

I give this one a 4.5/5. This is one of my favorite whiskeys, and at $75/bottle, it's a treat that I cannot afford as a med student. Luckily, I have a good friend who went the MBA route who also enjoys the finer things in life.

I had a chance to drink a couple glasses of the Talisker Storm while watching NBA playoffs.

talob.non7.jpg

It's from the isle of Skye, and has the beautiful peat flavor that you'd expect from an Island scotch.

Nose--light and floral, with hints of vanilla.
Taste-- smokey, caramel, earthy tones. Plenty of peat.
Finish--Smooth, sweet like molasses

I give this one a 4.5/5. This is one of my favorite whiskeys, and at $75/bottle, it's a treat that I cannot afford as a med student. Luckily, I have a good friend who went the MBA route who also enjoys the finer things in life.
It's a good one, though the 10 yr is great bang for the buck (maybe even less than the Storm depending on your state?) and the 18 is superb if you get the chance to try it one day. I visited the distillery in the recent past and the taste really is reminiscent of the sea air around the distillery. Haven't picked up the 25 or 30 yet but they're on my list for a 'one day' purchase.

I've been on a sherry cask matured scotch ride here. First I got a springbank 12 burgundy cask which was amazing. Then a glenfarclas 12 which was good. Now I got me a glenrothes sherry cask reserve. It is excellent. Springbank 12 burgundy is a limited release. That was my favorite.

Anyone on thoughts about Johnnie Walker Double Black? I'm a Laphroaig person who enjoys the peat but am trying to branch out to something good but $u$tainable

Anyone on thoughts about Johnnie Walker Double Black? I'm a Laphroaig person who enjoys the peat but am trying to branch out to something good but $u$tainable

I've never had Johnnie Walker Double Black. Is Johnnie Walker Double Black that much cheaper than the 10 year old Laphroaig? I can find the 10 year old Laphroaig around me for under $40. The 12 year old Highland Park is also relatively inexpensive and has some smoke to it...though not nearly as much as Laphroaig.

Wild Turkey 101 is actually my standby for a cheap (but still delicious) whisky. Unfortunately, bourbon and rye prices are climbing fast.

Is Johnnie Walker Double Black that much cheaper than the 10 year old Laphroaig? I can find the 10 year old Laphroaig around me for under $40. The 12 year old Highland Park is also relatively inexpensive and has some smoke to it...though not nearly as much as Laphroaig.

Wild Turkey 101 is actually my standby for a cheap (but still delicious) whisky. Unfortunately, bourbon and rye prices are climbing fast.

10-15% cheaper or so at my local place, which isn't that much in the grand scheme of things, but I'm in danger of being CAGEd so I'm trying to be cost conscious...

i have this in bound - my first good bottle of scotch.

macob.15yo.jpg

you guys are bad influences

Reactions: 2 users
Wild Turkey 101 is actually my standby for a cheap (but still delicious) whisky.

Wild Turkey is my undisputed best bang for your buck whiskey!

I just passed orals and I'm looking to treat myself to a tasty bottle of bourbon. Any suggestions? I'd like to stay under a bill. Here's my short list.
Blanton's
Russell's Reserve 10 yr
Eagle Rare
Bulleit
Maker's 46

I just passed orals and I'm looking to treat myself to a tasty bottle of bourbon. Any suggestions? I'd like to stay under a bill. Here's my short list.
Blanton's
Russell's Reserve 10 yr
Eagle Rare
Bulleit
Maker's 46
As far as good bourbon for a decent price, I'd recommend:
Booker's
Baker's
Stagg Jr.
Elijah Craig Barrel Proof/Small Batch 12
Four Roses Small Batch/Single Barrel
Weller Antique/12

Your list is certainly a good one as well, but I'd personally put Blanton's and Russell's Reserve 10 a level above Eagle Rare, Bulleit, or Maker's 46.

Blanton's
Russell's Reserve 10 yr
Eagle Rare
Bulleit
Maker's 46

Of that list, I would say Blanton's and maybe Russell's Reserve.

Four Roses Single Barrel at barrel proof is one of my favorites. I've found it priced around $65-70 and it is one of the best bourbons out there. It's usually aged around 9-10 years and they have different recipes based on the yeast strain and mash bill used.

Bookers is good too, but the price has definitely been climbing. There was talk about increasing the retail price to around $100. It's not a $100 whiskey, but bourbon demand is so high right now that people will likely still buy it. If you can find it for around $50-60, it might be worth grabbing before the price goes up.

As far as good bourbon for a decent price, I'd recommend:
Booker's
Baker's
Stagg Jr.
Elijah Craig Barrel Proof/Small Batch 12
Four Roses Small Batch/Single Barrel
Weller Antique/12

Your list is certainly a good one as well, but I'd personally put Blanton's and Russell's Reserve 10 a level above Eagle Rare, Bulleit, or Maker's 46.

Nice list. I'm familiar with all of them but have only tried the small batch Four Roses, which was excellent. I've looked for the Weller before but it's been a tough one to come by. I'll give one of the others a shot.

Bulleit Rye 95 is my go to for a after long day of work/dinner cool down thirst quencher... as the sun is coming down out west.
I like it in the Old Fashioned form.
Smooth, insightful sipper.

Solid.

Last edited:
Bulleit Rye 95 is my go to for a after long day of work/dinner cool down thirst quencher... as the sun is coming down out west.
I like it in the Old Fashioned form.
Smooth, insightful sipper.

Solid.

Bulleit Rye is an extraordinary value in my opinion. Definitely 2 thumbs up. It has just the right amount of Spice and heat. Refined, but you know you're sipping Rye. I like to drop an ice cube in there with an oz or two, swirl it for a couple seconds and take it out. Magic.
Whistle Pig is my other go to Rye, but it's a different experience.

--
Il Destriero

Bulleit Rye is an extraordinary value in my opinion. Definitely 2 thumbs up. It has just the right amount of Spice and heat. Refined, but you know you're sipping Rye. I like to drop an ice cube in there with an oz or two, swirl it for a couple seconds and take it out. Magic.

--
Il Destriero

I've been on a major rye kick in recent months. I had a port finished rye from High West that was really pretty exceptional.

--
Il Destriero

100% IlD. Love the cubes. I have an assortment of different sized depending on the drink.

Posted this last night to add to the feel of the thread... In light of a fellow Bulleit aficionado... I'll repost it.

54703e53-a412-4f5b-96ac-74ce6432c01e_zpskyw5rddn.jpg

I'm enjoying a Four Roses Single Barrel. However, my go to is generally Mitcher's.

I went with a new bottle of Glenmorangie Nectar d'Or tonight.
What a disappointment. It's clearly inferior to the last couple of bottles I bought several years ago. I can't tell you how mad I am that I didn't pick up a dozen bottles of Yamazaki 18 and Glendronach 15 Revival when I had a chance. Quality is falling. Though I may have a couple bottles tucked away. ;)

--
Il Destriero

I went with a new bottle of Glenmorangie Nectar d'Or tonight.
What a disappointment. It's clearly inferior to the last couple of bottles I bought several years ago. I can't tell you how mad I am that I didn't pick up a dozen bottles of Yamazaki 18 and Glendronach 15 Revival when I had a chance. Quality is falling. Though I may have a couple bottles tucked away. ;)

--
Il Destriero

Funny. I just bought a bottle of Nectar d'Or a few weeks ago in anticipation of having a lighter Scotch around for the warmer weather. I think it's good, but a bit underwhelming. It's not worth the extra money over something like a Balvenie doublewood 12. My wife likes it, though. She cringes when I open my bottle of Ardbeg.

I went backwards; I started on scotch (don't love the super smoky/peaty ones like Laphroig), Ardbeg, Glenfiddich >15yr, and basically any maccallan are good. But I've moved more to Bourbon's and a good spicy Rye.

What? Ardbeg makes some of the peatiest single malts around.

Any love for bourbon here?

Picked up a bottle of Weller special reserve a while back and just opened it recently. Quite good! Better than Weller 107 IMO. Still on the lookout for some Weller 12.

Picked up a bottle of Weller special reserve a while back and just opened it recently. Quite good! Better than Weller 107 IMO. Still on the lookout for some Weller 12.
I am actually a big fan of the Antique (107) for the price. Good luck finding the 12... around me it's just about as hard to find as anything in the Pappy range! Been enjoying Stagg Jr. and Michter's 10 lately.

I scored some Compass Box Spice Tree Extravaganza, Hedonism, and Springbank 10 the other day. :)

--
Il Destriero
Nice finds. The Hedonism is a really interesting whisky... tastes a lot like coconut to me. Springbank 10 is also excellent. Haven't tried the Extravaganza before, but I also picked up a Compass Box the other day (Double Single -- should be an interesting one!) as well as an Adelphi Clynelish.

I like bourbon. I recently bought a bottle of Elijah Craig barrel proof.

However, I had a wee dram of Springbank 12 year old cask strength over the weekend that reminded me why I love Scotch.

I like bourbon. I recently bought a bottle of Elijah Craig barrel proof.

However, I had a wee dram of Springbank 12 year old cask strength over the weekend that reminded me why I love Scotch.

How's the Springbank 10 compared to the 12? Looks like the 10 is available locally but the 12 may require some searching.

I've never had the 12. The 10 is fantastic. It's a whisky drinkers whisky. Lots of subtle flavors, earthy, minerals, citrus, good smoke (but not heavy peat- that's their Longrow), dry, nice finish. It's low production, more artisanal, I really love it. The fact that it's actually available in the US and under $100 is amazing. I've had several bottles over the years.
Your non whisky friends won't get this whisky as it doesn't have what they will be expecting: a big Sherry punch or an oaky mellow or a heavy peat blast, etc. It might even be a bit harsh, only a bit, BUT that's part of its appeal! A little 46% bite. I've had the 18. Similar, but I think the youth benefits this whisky. I prefer the 10. Like with a peat monster, more age isn't necessarily better.
If you're new to whisky, maybe pass on this for now.

--
Il Destriero

(Edited to note it's well under $100, I thought it was a bit more. Even better!)

Last edited:
How's the Springbank 10 compared to the 12? Looks like the 10 is available locally but the 12 may require some searching.

I've actually never had Springbank 10. The Springbank 12 cask strength is probably a top 3 whisky for me. It's not a beginner whisky, but maybe more approachable than a heavily peated whisky. Like all of the Springbank line, it has a bit of smoke, fruit, and a "funky earthiness" to it. If you can find it, grab it. I can find it around me for around $80-90. and it is well worth it.

Springbank represents everything that is still right about the Scotch whisky industry. They are independent and carry out the entire production process on site. You pay a slight premium for the craftsmanship, but it is well worth it.