I love Scotch

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Actually tried it at a scotch bar in Savannah during our national convention.

It was a bit of heaven until a classmate knocked it out of my hands. Tear.
If you liked that go get a bottle of Lagavulin 16.:love:

Members don't see this ad.

im a johnny black drinker since im just a poor student however when I somehow get to mooch off someone's blue label I have to tell you its definitely nice. Overpriced maybe but i wouldn't say overrated.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got a bottle of Johnnie Walker Green... so smooth, I don't know that I can go back to black.
Great choice! JW Green is a malt blend, or a vatted malt. That means that it is a blend of single malts and nothing else. A regular blend (all the other JWs, Chivas, Dewers, etc) are single malts mixed with grain alcohol. There aren't a lot of vatted malts available in the US. I hope that changes. There seems to be some movement in this area within the industry.:thumbup:
I blend my own sometimes. It's fun to experiment and see what adding and subtracting components adds to the flavor or nose. I like adding a bit of smoke to the sherry bombs coming out of Speyside. It really changes their character.

Wow. More than 2 year bump. What, did every finish the first 11 steps or something?

Got a bottle of the Shackleton Whisky. Whyte and Mackay's recreation of the original Mackinlay whisky Shackleton took to Antarctica.

It's pretty damn good.

Macallan 12, Glenmorangie Nectar D'Or, Glenmorangie 18, and The Arran Malt are standing on my shelf right now. I love them all dearly.

Dewar's White label here. Just a poor resident. Have had tastes of the good stuff... mmmmmmmm

Survivor DO

MacCallan 15 or better yet 17. Balvenie 15 is very nice too. It has a little more spice and less carmel compared to the MacCallan choices. Scapa is my choice when I want something peaty.

Laphoaig, Lagavulin 16, and Oban ... In that order.

I'm either iodine deficient or my body wants me to be a smoker...but all 3 are divine

less harsh scotch tastes like bourbon

I am really proud of the immortality of this great thread :love:

I went and resurrected it because I had new scotch. The other threads were all in the lounge, and full of people who want to start drinking scotch, with a lower density of true drinkers.
This thread delivers.

Reactions: 1 user
MacCallan 15 or better yet 17. Balvenie 15 is very nice too. It has a little more spice and less carmel compared to the MacCallan choices. Scapa is my choice when I want something peaty.

If you like Balvenie 15 also try the 17 year old Double Wood. yummy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have always been a Gin drinker since my early college days, generally Bombay dry, sapphire an excellent choice too. But...if we are drinking scotch, I have found JW blue label my fav.

Great thread. I am relatively new to the scotch game, but have jumped in head first. I always enjoy my drams neat, and usually in glencairn glass. This is what's in my cabinet right now along with my unsolicited opinion on each:
Laphroiag 10yr- my favorite of the lot. Big smell of bandaids, hints of olive, wood on the palate, and loads of salty smoke that hangs around for an eternity. I just drooled on the keyboard.
Highland Park 12yr- To me it seems like this one has the peat with out the smoke if that even makes sense. Briny iodine without feeling like you licked a piece of charcoal. Very nice whisky.
Glenmorangie 10yr- Floral, citrusy, sweet, no peat. Very nice when I'm in the mood for something light
I also have 50mL samplers of the Nectar D'Or, Lastana, and Quinta Ruban that I haven't tried yet.
Johnnie Walker Black- This was my first introduction to peat, and convinced me to try some single malts. And I'm still not too stuck up to enjoy a dram, plus it is available pretty much anywhere that has a bar.

I have also got a few US whiskies in the cabinet, and have found that I prefer rye to bourbon. The ryes are spicier and not as sweet, and definitely worth a try if you never have before. but I've only tried a couple.
I would definitely recommend Sazerac Rye it does have a faint hint of wood varnish on the nose but tastes great with some pepper, some sweet, a great big lick of oak and is a great value at around 25 for a fifth.
I also have a bottle of Old Overholt, only 15 bucks for a fifth and still has that good rye taste, but feels a bit thin in the mouth and there are probably much better choices for an extra 10 bucks that I definitely plan on exploring.

-Cheers all

If you like Balvenie 15 also try the 17 year old Double Wood. yummy.

I haven't tired the 17, but for my birthday, my wife bought me the 21. That was a very nice bottle. I have to say that I like sitting down with a scotch that is old enough to have a glass of scotch with me.

I am still a Glenlivet enthusiast...
I have tried them all but I keep coming back.

definitely a good scotch, glenlivet 18 is one of the two scotches I "grew up with", i.e. one of the two that I used to sip in the evenings with my old man (he loves glenlivet and bruichladdich, my mom's more of a laphroaig drinker)

definitely try bruichladdich at some point. trust me, you won't regret it;

Mostly drinking Cragganmore 12 and Yamazaki 18 now. Neat. Haven't had a Laphroaig craving in a long time although it was my previous favorite.

Thinking about buying something really special when I finish fellowship. Leaning towards an old island whisky like Highland Park 30 or Talisker 30.

I love scotch. Scotchy, scotch, scotch...

I have been working down a bottle of JW gold. Papa likey.

Here it goes down. Down into my belly.

I've been on a bourbon kick for about 2-3 years too

1492 is great buy. Lovely ROI.

My favorite would have to be Lagavulin 16. My fiance got me some stones that are kept in the freezer then used like ice cubes to keep it chilled without diluting it.

I haven't tired the 17, but for my birthday, my wife bought me the 21. That was a very nice bottle. I have to say that I like sitting down with a scotch that is old enough to have a glass of scotch with me.

Belvenie Double Wood is exceptional scotch. I generally don't like the super "sherry-ish" malts. But, somehow the Double Wood has just enough sherry to make it taste really really good.

For a good couple of lower cost blends, I really don't think JW Red is a bad value. Not like Black but still pretty good.

A GREAT value is Teacher's Highland Cream. Very good stuff for the money (hint: residents...)

Try some of the barrel strength whisk(e)ys....

I've got George T Stagg and William Larue Weller, both at about 140 proof....

Great great whiskeys but doesn't compare to the Willet 18 barrel strenght I finished last year...

drccw

Maybe late to throw my hat in the ring, but I rather prefer Lagavulin 16. I haven't found a bottle Islay or otherwise, that can match its deep flavor. Although I do welcome the opportunity to put that to the test.

Also I am rather taken with The Macallan 18, though I have only had it once.

And, not to stir up trouble, but a fellowship director I was talking to today at Pitt told me The Macallan 25 is not a vast improvement from the 18. Can anyone verify or refute his claim?

By the way... all scotches are equal after the second glass...
That can be said about many other things in life as well....
I suppose that depends on how big your glass is. Sipping 1.5 oz of fine single malt from a Glencairn glass isn't the same as swilling 3 fingers of JW Black on the rocks with the used cars salesmen at the bar at Morton's.

Last edited:
Maybe late to throw my hat in the ring, but I rather prefer Lagavulin 16. I haven't found a bottle Islay or otherwise, that can match its deep flavor. Although I do welcome the opportunity to put that to the test.

Also I am rather taken with The Macallan 18, though I have only had it once.

And, not to stir up trouble, but a fellowship director I was talking to today at Pitt told me The Macallan 25 is not a vast improvement from the 18. Can anyone verify or refute his claim?

Try Aberlour A'bunadh for a great and affordable sherried whisky.
For something to compete with the well balanced Lagavulin, maybe try some Ardbeg Uigeadail. It's also a powerful sherried Islay, but I like it more, and that's saying something because I'm not a big Ardbeg fan. Give it a try.
As for the Macallan, you're comparing something around $175 to $750. I'll drink Macallan if you're buying, but it's not worth $750. I think Macallan is generally overrated, but the 18 is a good whisky. You could buy 3 or 4 bottles of great single malt for the price of the 25. It all depends on you're palate and nose though. YMMV.

I suppose that depends on how big your glass is. Sipping 1.5 oz of fine single malt from a Glencairn glass isn't the same as swilling 3 fingers of JW Black on the rocks with the used cars salesmen at the bar at Morton's.

Thanks for jogging my memory, I knew there was something I needed to add to my wedding registry!

Does anyone use glass decanters or do you leave your whiskies in their bottles?

It's also a powerful sherried Islay, but I like it more, and that's saying something because I'm not a big Ardbeg fan. Give it a try.

I am a big Ardbeg fan. I like Lagavulin, and it's a good bargain.
Ardbegs require water to really open up. They're close to 60% alcohol, and you want 43-46%. Otherwise you're getting too much burn.
I can't really recommend the Galileo. It's not bad, but there are better scotches by Ardbeg that cost the same.

I like Islay scotches- I got a $65 single malt bottle of Bowmore- 3 fingers and 3 cubes and a nice Cohiba

I am a big Ardbeg fan. I like Lagavulin, and it's a good bargain.
Ardbegs require water to really open up. They're close to 60% alcohol, and you want 43-46%. Otherwise you're getting too much burn.
I can't really recommend the Galileo. It's not bad, but there are better scotches by Ardbeg that cost the same.

3 month thread revival - just realized my fiance promised me a bottle of Lagavulin 16 year as congrats after M1 and hasn't delivered!

I'm a huge fan of the Islay region, especially Lagavulin, Ardbeg, and Laphroig (no surprise they're all located next to each other). Always 2 fingers neat with a splash of water to open 'em up. Other good Islay distilleries in my experience are Caol Ila (smaller/newer distillery, very smoky), and Bunnahabhain (really smooth).

Also like to give the thumbs up to some non-Islay region single malts -
Highland: Oban 14 year, Glenmorainge 10yr
Speyside: Aberlour 10 or 12 - great value

If you get a good cigar, pair it up with one of the Islay single malts or with Auchentoshan (lowlands I think, not sure how old, recently recommended to me at a scotch and cigar bar, really sweet and oaky). Any cigar rec's would be appreciated!

The Dalmore reissued it's famous Cigar Malt last year. It might be worth a try.
The Dalmore Cigar Malt Reserve, 44%, $125

Back due to popular demand in the U.S., this new incarnation of the Cigar Malt sees the percentage of ex-oloroso ‘Matusalem’ sherry wood ramped up from 60 to 70 percent. Pass the Partagas! Spicy Christmas cake with rich sherry notes on the nose. Fragrant, with figs, cinnamon, ripe oranges, and glacé cherries. Robust sweet toffee and mango flavors, with oloroso sherry, vanilla, and lively spices. Medium to long in the finish, with ginger, treacle, and licorice. —Gavin Smith

Advanced Malt Advocate magazine rating: 92

Got a bottle of Laphroaig 10 Year Old / Cask Strength for father's day. Not too shabby.

thought I would post something fun for Friday 13.

I got a bottle of Oban as a gift a few weeks ago. I thought I would crack it open tonight and have a wee dram, neat, to unwind. Any fans of Oban?

I put Splenda in mine.

Thank you so much for this thread! Matching into Anesthesiology this week....so I will probably celebrate with either:

Scapa 16 or Cragganmore 12.

Try Aberlour A'bunadh for a great and affordable sherried whisky.
For something to compete with the well balanced Lagavulin, maybe try some Ardbeg Uigeadail. It's also a powerful sherried Islay, but I like it more, and that's saying something because I'm not a big Ardbeg fan. Give it a try.
As for the Macallan, you're comparing something around $175 to $750. I'll drink Macallan if you're buying, but it's not worth $750. I think Macallan is generally overrated, but the 18 is a good whisky. You could buy 3 or 4 bottles of great single malt for the price of the 25. It all depends on you're palate and nose though. YMMV.

I completely agree with your opinion on Macallan. I had a Macallan 25 recently and didn't get the hype.

I am not a regular whisky drinker, but I love this thread. :claps:

Maybe you should recommend some starters, for "amateurs" who don't have a developed taste yet.

So a friend came over on Friday and we cracked ithe Oban opened and tried a couple of glasses each. I tried the trick of dribbling a few drops of room temperature volvic water and my buddy insisted on taking his with ice.

The only way to describe the taste is light and rich at the same time. After a couple of glasses it does leave you feeling, well, warm.

The most I can afford while I'm in school is Glenlivet, but I can sure imagine having a glass of Oban regularly after a long call shift once I'm an attending.

That's a great idea from FFP.

Can we please get a 5-10 bottle "scotch starter kit" list for those of us trying to get into it.

Five years ago (!!) I posted in this thread about the Hakushu, a very nice Japanese single malt. Used to be hard to find in America, but the other day I saw it at Costco. Clearly their distribution had ramped up.

Go try some and come back and thank me. Very balanced with background peat, I absolutely love this stuff.

http://www.suntory.com/whisky/en/distilleries/hakushu.html

Picked up some of the Laphroiag QA Cask and Macallan Whisky Maker's Edition at duty free a few weeks ago. I have to say despite being a big fan of the mainstream offerings from both Macallan and Laphraoig I haven't been overly impressed. Anyone have any recs on good duty free single malts? I didn't realize that many companies have a separate "travel retail exclusive" line -- often with middling reviews.

Either way, it's good enough for a celebratory afternoon drink on match Monday. I matched! As an intern switching fields, I'm excited to join the anesthesiology side of things.

There are a few different kinds of malt whisky, I'll make a recommendation for all I can think of at a reasonable price point ($50-$100). A good bar will have many of these. I have or have had all of them below.
Blend- (A blend of single malts and other grain spirits)-
Johnny Walker Black. It is a reference point. A bit of smoke, smooth and reliable. Blue is overrated and red is for stripping wax off combat boots. I also like Johnny Walker Swing, but it is not the easiest to find. I think it is better than Black, less smoke more complex. However, having said that, take a walk on the wild side and get Yamazaki's Hibiki 12 yo instead. Little to no peat smoke, but a superb Japanese blend. Sweet, clean, smooth and refined. Fruity, some sherry, sweet gentle spice, orange peel, so nice.
Blended malt (formerly known as vatted malt- a blend of single malts w/o additional grain spirit)-
Compass Box Spice Tree. Sweet, spicey, minerals, extra oakey from new barrel heads in the aging, really well blended and flavorful. Must try.
Blended grain-
Compass Box Hedonism. Who knew grain could be this good? Smooth as silk, sweet fruit, coconut, vanilla, ginger, honey. Creamy and complex.
Single malt, unpeated, bourbon barrel-
Balvenie 15 single barrel, the 12 will do if that's all they have, but don't get the 12 double wood. Sweet classic speyside. Vanilla oak classic bourbon barrel malt. I look for this one at bars to relax. Long finish. I think it is barrel strength as well.
Single malt, unpeated sherry cask-
Aberlour. Get whatever they have. It is lovely. Aberlour A'bunadh is a staple in my cabinet. Cask strength sherry bomb. It may be heresy, but I'd take it over macallan any day. If you get the A'Bunadh add a bit of water, it's close to 60% ABV. Sweet sherry, no smoke, rich, fruity spicey chocolates. Yum.
Single malt, lightly peated-
highland park 10. Honey heather and a balanced smoke. Lovely. The 18 is more refined but twice as much. Springbank 10 is even better, but may be harder to find. It has an interesting mineral note and may be too complex to appreciate without experience. But so worth it.
Single malt, heavily peated-
Ardbeg 10. Very dry and peated, high smoke content some sweetness, but full of coal and spice. If you don't like your whisky bone dry, get Lagavulin 16 instead, full on smoke and peat, but definitely a bit sweeter, may have some sherry casks to add the sweetness, I don't recall for sure. Definitely complex.
Single malt, "all in" heavily peated-
Laphroaig 10. It is the peatiest most medicinal malt out there. Smoke and Flavor for days. Smoke, peat, seaweed, salty ocean air, sweet malt, more peat, iodine, medicinal blast, long finish. For a little more you can probably get the 10yo cask strength and take it to the next level. It really is the most flavorful peated whisky out there. The 18 is great, but it dials the peat back a bit, and if you're going all in, just get the 10.
Irish -
Skip the blends and get single pot still- Redbreast 12. Fantastic Irish whisky. If you can find the cask strength, get that instead. Warm, sweet, spicy, rich, Sherry, vanilla, long finish. Always in my cabinet.

Comments welcome.

Last edited:
I am not a regular whisky drinker, but I love this thread. :claps:

Maybe you should recommend some starters, for "amateurs" who don't have a developed taste yet.

Single malt Scotch is often categorized by geography. Those regions are Lowland, Highland, Speyside (technically part of the highlands, but is its own category), Islay, Island, and the minor region of Campbeltown. A side by side comparison of the first five at a well-stocked bar should make the differences pretty apparent. Drink them all neat.

Lowland is not that interesting to me and if you were to leave one out besides Campbeltown, this would be it. But for completeness you could try Glenkinchie 10 which is light and inoffensive.

Highland is a broad category of middle-of-the-road whiskies that tend to be balanced in flavor and low in peat. Lots of options in this category. I think Oban and Glenmorangie are pretty representative.

Speyside is said to be more complex, although like Highland it is a broad category. Macallan is well-known and representative. I prefer Cragganmore. I think Cragganmore 12 is the most "complex" and interesting from any region.

Islay is famous for being peaty. Laphroaig being the peatiest and the best for educational purposes. If you're doing a comparison, drink this one last. This is what got me into Scotch in the first place.

Island is not recognized as an official region, but I think Talisker and Highland Park have more in common with each other than the Highland category. Talisker 10 is very smoky and moderately peaty.

Or for a simpler method, do a side-to-side comparison of Laphroaig 10, which is very peaty, and Macallan 12, which is not. These two are everywhere. If you prefer Laphroaig, try Talisker next. If you prefer Macallan, try Oban for comparison.

Reactions: 2 users
For scotch my all best bottle was a cask strength private bottle from Oban. Don't ask how I got it but it was a gift of a gift from a friend. I can't remember the details of it now because it was so long ago but it was great.

In my cabinet now I have Ardbeg Still Young for when I am feeling like a strong smokey drink. I have Glemorangie as my usual casual drink. Also have Balvenie Carribean cask and Dalwhinnie distillers for a change of pace. I used to have the Balvenie double wood 12 and I liked that a lot. May have some others floating around.

Anyone tried Pappy Van Winkle? I had the 20 year and it was very good. I am not a huge fan of bourbon but it was great. Tons of vanilla and caramel flavors.