i know this is an odd Q

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meerkat111

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, buying a house again, hoping this one will be the more permanent one. When you guys do business transactions, would you ask them to call you Dr in the paperwork? I usually keep low profile and do not advertise. But now we live in a time when everyone else with PhD's and other degrees are being called Dr?? I have heard Pharmacists, NP's and professors asking to be called doctors. j/c

Members don't see this ad.

So, buying a house again, hoping this one will be the more permanent one. When you guys do business transactions, would you ask them to call you Dr in the paperwork? I usually keep low profile and do not advertise. But now we live in a time when everyone else with PhD's and other degrees are being called Dr?? I have heard Pharmacists, NP's and professors asking to be called doctors. j/c

First of all, a PhD is a doctor and has a right to be called a doctor in the academic context as long as there is no confusion about their not being qualified to practice clinically (and I don't know of any who would pretend to do so). This is a far cry from NPs and pharmacists calling themselves doctors which can be very confusing in the clinical context. For buying a house, it probably does not matter at all whether you are Mr(s). or Dr.

unless your ego dictates otherwise, it is irrelevant.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I get a little twinge in the back of my mind when people call me Mr X, which I then promptly ignore. Both myself (with one doctorate) and my fiancée (who happens to have two) left the titles off of our title paperwork when buying a condo. Who cares what the deed says?

Reactions: 2 users
I get a little twinge in the back of my mind when people call me Mr X, which I then promptly ignore. Both myself (with one doctorate) and my fiancée (who happens to have two) left the titles off of our title paperwork when buying a condo. Who cares what the deed says?

I'm exactly the same way! I get annoyed for a split second but I ignore it.

My realtor knew I am a physician cause he saw my financial documents but we were on a first name basis. I've got enough formality in military medicine that I'd rather not when I'm the client.

And if you ask people to call you Dr, are you indirectly advertising/offering your services and skill set? I know there is no physician-patient relationship, but why get into murky waters outside of a hospital or clinic setting?