I know im posting a lot but would love some help.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Daniellevk

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello again,
Sorry to be posting again but just need to get all my questions answered all at once just one more time. Im the first person in my family to go to college and do the whole medical thing. ( parents are Jewish Russian immigrants.)

Here are my stats?

I graduated with a B.A in Biological Sciences and minor in Russian with a 2.87 cumulative GPA. ( took me 5 years total to complete 2012-2017)
My university already did the grade replacements and accommodates that with the GPA. So I did retake about 4 classes.
Before I transferred over to a 4 year I went to a CC and had a GPA of a 2.8 there as well.

Towards the end of my Senior year, I finally got the hang of things and had an upward trend.
This summer I took Gen Chem II (analytical) and got an A- ( so I guess this is part of post-bac?)
I really don't know what my full GPA is then and not sure how to figure that out.

For extra activities besides studying this is what I have:
~ 200 hours of volunteer work at a cancer institute.
~ 200 hours of community work.
one full summer from June-September I shadowed an Oncologist.
I volunteered for STEM day which was offered the first time at my university.
I was on the Deans list for one semester. (IDK if this counts?)
I served as the head philanthropy women for my sorority, which I created an event and raised over $17,000 for Pediatric AIDS.
I served as the VP of social standards for my sorority as well.
Member of the pre-professional medical society
Member of the National Society of leadership and success
Member of Slavic Klub

Currently working as a Scribe
Currently waiting to hear on research in Chicago for Fragile-X research.

- In two weeks I will be retaking my MCAT which so far with my practice exams my scores have been increasing from 485 to 504. Hoping to get above 500.

Now I completely understand my GPA is probably low for MD schools and probably DO schools.

I'm not planning on doing a masters program
and maybe i'll do a post-bac during my gap year.

I am considering Carribean schools such as Ross.. and I know i should stay away and only 50% of people get residency. I know i hear you completely... but i really think i can do it.

Is there any DO schools that might take me?
Am I good candidate for Caribbean schools?

Members don't see this ad.

What was your old MCAT score? It's good you're aiming for above a 500 which is what you'll likely need to compensate for a sub 500. I won't beat a dead horse, but it would be tragic to see you lose $$$ by not making it through one of those Caribbean programs. I think it would be in your best interest to rather do a Post-Bac and show not just to medical schools, but yourself that you are capable of earning a 3.7+ GPA, as your low GPA indicates to medical schools that you're likely not ready for their curriculum (slightly offset with a good MCAT). It's not in your best interest to apply this cycle.

My advice would be to enroll in a post-bacc. for the next one to two years so that you can raise your GPA to above a 3.0. In doing so, you’ll greatly increase the number of DO schools you can apply to since a majority of them pre-screen at a 3.0.

I cannot recommend applying to Caribbean schools - you will get in, but note that you’ll be doing yourself a huge disservice by not trying to apply MD/DO in the U.S. for at least 2 to 3 cycles.

By doing a post-bacc. for 1-2 years, you will not only further prove to yourself that you’re capable, but also to schools that especially reward re-invention.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Getting into medical school is a marathon, not a sprint.

Your GPA is not probably low. Your GPA IS low for MD and DO. Figure out your cumulative and science GPAs. You can do that by downloading an excel GPA calculator somewhere around here or online.

1. Avoid the Caribbean like the plague (they prey on desperate people like you). You are very likely to fail out based on your academic history.
2. Plan to do a 2-year post-bac where you take new challenging upper-level sciences. Your goal is to establish an upward trend by consistently getting nothing but A's.
3. Don't take the MCAT just yet. You need to take your time in your preparation for a career deciding exam. You need to get a much better score than your first attempt. Settling to just break a 500 is not good enough.

Reactions: 1 user
Your gpa is too low dude. Why are you so opposed to a post bacc or smp? Tons of people in similar positions to you have done that and are physicians today.

Caribbean is just far too risky. Why spend all that cash and 4 years when you could do a post bacc, get into an American school, and be confident of a good career?

The above poster is right. This is a marathon. You got to be flexible with your situation. Considering Caribbean schools with your stats is not being flexible.

Your stats are lethal for MD and DO.

Read this:

And do NOT retake the mCAT until you are 100% ready and you're scoring well > 500 in your practice exams.

Hello again,
Sorry to be posting again but just need to get all my questions answered all at once just one more time. Im the first person in my family to go to college and do the whole medical thing. ( parents are Jewish Russian immigrants.)

Here are my stats?

I graduated with a B.A in Biological Sciences and minor in Russian with a 2.87 cumulative GPA. ( took me 5 years total to complete 2012-2017)
My university already did the grade replacements and accommodates that with the GPA. So I did retake about 4 classes.
Before I transferred over to a 4 year I went to a CC and had a GPA of a 2.8 there as well.

Towards the end of my Senior year, I finally got the hang of things and had an upward trend.
This summer I took Gen Chem II (analytical) and got an A- ( so I guess this is part of post-bac?)
I really don't know what my full GPA is then and not sure how to figure that out.

For extra activities besides studying this is what I have:
~ 200 hours of volunteer work at a cancer institute.
~ 200 hours of community work.
one full summer from June-September I shadowed an Oncologist.
I volunteered for STEM day which was offered the first time at my university.
I was on the Deans list for one semester. (IDK if this counts?)
I served as the head philanthropy women for my sorority, which I created an event and raised over $17,000 for Pediatric AIDS.
I served as the VP of social standards for my sorority as well.
Member of the pre-professional medical society
Member of the National Society of leadership and success
Member of Slavic Klub

Currently working as a Scribe
Currently waiting to hear on research in Chicago for Fragile-X research.

- In two weeks I will be retaking my MCAT which so far with my practice exams my scores have been increasing from 485 to 504. Hoping to get above 500.

Now I completely understand my GPA is probably low for MD schools and probably DO schools.

I'm not planning on doing a masters program
and maybe i'll do a post-bac during my gap year.

I am considering Carribean schools such as Ross.. and I know i should stay away and only 50% of people get residency. I know i hear you completely... but i really think i can do it.

Is there any DO schools that might take me?
Am I good candidate for Caribbean schools?

Reactions: 1 user