I hate third year ;)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

newdoc2013

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you're anything like me, you may have found yourself saying, "oh my god, I hate third year." you might have also done sdn searches looking for reassurance that others have felt the same way - I've literally type the phrase I hate third year and pushed search upwards of twenty times in this god forsaken year...

But then....

You start night float... All of a sudden you're doing 16 hour shifts but in reverse and what you thought was miserable becomes unbearable. I've thought countless times - why am I doing this, I hate becoming a doctor.

Then, at 5:50 am, 10 minutes before your scheduled to leave you hear over the intercom - "can we have the medical student to [L&D] room 1 for a delivery?"

An hour and a half later you've helped deliver a baby.. An hour and a half too late, sleep; but you dont care. it makes sense why you've started on this crazy career - you care about people. You've just assisted a mother bringing a child into the world. You watched her doubt herself, give up and eventually find the confidence to do something that looks impossible.

I am so glad I am becoming a doctor!!!!!! It is so worth it. (thought it would be nice for future searchers of doom and gloom to read something positive for once ;) )

Members don't see this ad.

Looks like Stockholm syndrome has set in for the poor OP.

Members don't see this ad :)
Looks like Stockholm syndrome has set in for the poor OP.

:laugh: Yep, plus when it hurts bad enough for long enough you just become numb. I've seen it in those ahead of me and I can't wait for my turn! :rolleyes:

Medical school is the kindest, bravest, warmest, most wonderful human thing I've ever known in my life

... what is night float!?!??! and why do we have to do it?!?!?! scared.

Bam. End-stage Stockholm.

Deliveries CAN sometimes be adorable though.
Especially when the mom is pooping everywhere and bleeding on it. o_0 jk jk

Just saying, I'm not so sure anything about deliveries can be classified as "cute". :p

Members don't see this ad :)
and yes i may be a bit stockholm-y but it was still a really good walk home when I typed my orig post :thumbup:

Bam. End-stage Stockholm.

Deliveries CAN sometimes be adorable though.

Adorable in a nasty kind of way. To each their own. I'm glad you found something to cheer you up.

If you're anything like me, you may have found yourself saying, "oh my god, I hate third year." you might have also done sdn searches looking for reassurance that others have felt the same way - I've literally type the phrase I hate third year and pushed search upwards of twenty times in this god forsaken year...

But then....

You start night float... All of a sudden you're doing 16 hour shifts but in reverse and what you thought was miserable becomes unbearable. I've thought countless times - why am I doing this, I hate becoming a doctor.

Then, at 5:50 am, 10 minutes before your scheduled to leave you hear over the intercom - "can we have the medical student to [L&D] room 1 for a delivery?"

An hour and a half later you've helped deliver a baby.. An hour and a half too late, sleep; but you dont care. it makes sense why you've started on this crazy career - you care about people. You've just assisted a mother bringing a child into the world. You watched her doubt herself, give up and eventually find the confidence to do something that looks impossible.

I am so glad I am becoming a doctor!!!!!! It is so worth it. (thought it would be nice for future searchers of doom and gloom to read something positive for once ;) )

Quoting cause this'll be deleted one day soon.

I never got to deliver a baby during my OB rotation, much less was paged to the room for that purpose.

Never did a single pelvic exam during the rotation either. They really don't like boys in Ob/Gyn.

I never got to deliver a baby during my OB rotation, much less was paged to the room for that purpose.

Never did a single pelvic exam during the rotation either. They really don't like boys in Ob/Gyn.

That's sad. 1/2 of your future patients will be females and I'm sure some will have OB problems. They're just decreasing your ability to take care of female pts.

Same experience with me. I actually thought it was NORMAL for med students to never do deliveries(although I delivered a....placenta :eek:). Although I was asked to leave countless times in clinic, I thankfully got to do some pelvic exams just so I won't be a doofus in residency.

I think it's the fact that ladies don't like guys to see their lady parts, so male med students get the short end of the stick as far as Ob/gyn goes....

Ummmmm, what? I thought those were lcme graduation requirements. Appearantly not?

Last edited: