I got a 506 on AAMC FL 1, should I reschedule my exam?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

So worde

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I took the AAMC FL 1 today and scored a 506 (126/126/128/126) and my exam is about two weeks away (July 27th). I'm aiming for a 510. Should I reschedule the exam or should I be able to make it to a 510 if I study hard for the next two weeks?

Members don't see this ad.

I think it would be realistic to get a four point bump with full time studying for two weeks. Just practice with AAMC material. If you are planning on applying this cycle for MD, pushing your MCAT back any further will do a lot more damage then a 4 point MCAT difference. If you really need a 510 to apply, I would study 8 hours a day, and then take FL 2 two days before your exam. If you don't get atleast a 510 on FL2, void your exam. Most applicants report a 2-3 point increase on their actual test from FL 2 so a 508 FL2 might still get you a 510 on the real thing.

Reactions: 1 user
I think it would be realistic to get a four point bump with full time studying for two weeks. Just practice with AAMC material. If you are planning on applying this cycle for MD, pushing your MCAT back any further will do a lot more damage then a 4 point MCAT difference. If you really need a 510 to apply, I would study 8 hours a day, and then take FL 2 two days before your exam. If you don't get atleast a 510 on FL2, void your exam. Most applicants report a 2-3 point increase on their actual test from FL 2 so a 508 FL2 might still get you a 510 on the real thing.
Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad :)
I would probably post this in the MCAT forum, you'll probably get alot more people chime in. I just took the MCAT and I'm looking in the 500-506 range so I may not be the best to take MCAT advice from lol.

Calm down you're fine! Most people have a nice score bump from their FL exams. Also not getting a 510 isn't a deal breaker. I went from 503 FL -> 509 real thing and I'm going ahead with my application

I had a significant decrease in mine so take that for what it's worth.

I had a significant decrease in mine so take that for what it's worth.

+1. I dropped four points from my AAMC FL2 to my real score.

Curious what you guys think happened. Just got a harder test on the real day? Or test anxiety?

I've been pretty pleased with my AAMC FL scores and since I am retaking, need to make sure I get the "significant jump".

Curious what you guys think happened. Just got a harder test on the real day? Or test anxiety?

I've been pretty pleased with my AAMC FL scores and since I am retaking, need to make sure I get the "significant jump".

My scores are as follows:
FL2: 127 128 130 126
Real: -

Going into it, I knew P/S was a toss up. I'd scored as high as 129 and as low as 123. No surprise there.

CARS, though, I thought was going to go a lot better for me. I thought it was going well while I was taking my exam, but apparently that wasn't the case. I think I just fell for a bunch of traps when I was under pressure.

It's harder to fall for traps in science topics because that's information you learned in a low stress setting. So, when you get there, you're like "THIS. I know this.". But the CARS is sort of on-the-spot, and I think the pressure caused me to make mistakes and fall for traps.

Anyways, good luck!

P.S. - I'll be editing out my scores tomorrow to help preserve anonymity.

Last edited:
My scores are as follows:
FL2: 127 128 130 126
Real: 130 125 129 124

Going into it, I knew P/S was a toss up. I'd scored as high as 129 and as low as...well, 124. No surprise there.

CARS, though, I thought was going to go a lot better for me. I thought it was going well while I was taking my exam, but apparently that wasn't the case. I think I just fell for a bunch of traps when I was under pressure.

It's harder to fall for traps in science topics because that's information you learned in a low stress setting. So, when you get there, you're like "THIS. I know this.". But the CARS is sort of on-the-spot, and I think the pressure caused me to make mistakes and fall for traps.

Anyways, good luck!

P.S. - I'll be editing out my scores tomorrow to help preserve anonymity.

Thanks for the reply! Yeah, CARS seems to be hit or miss for me... One of my biggest concerns about retaking is that CARS was my highest section last time (129) and I'm worried I won't be able to get that again. Guess I'll just try and focus on not falling for their traps!

I always scored ~129 on cars. I never scored below a 128 on any practice test but ended up scoring a 125 on the real one. I have a friend that jumped SEVEN points from her practice to the real test. I'm not for sure what happened to me. Unlucky that day I guess. All of my other sub scores were within 2 points of expected