hysterectomy question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SEpathguy

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Honest question (although I know this may generate some smart ass replies). Do you report the phase of endometrium (secretory, proliferative) on hysterectomy specimens? I always have because that's how they did it where I trained but seems like totally worthless information so I stopped reporting it the last few weeks. Surprise - no one seems to care. I was just curious what others do.

Members don't see this ad.

Honest question (although I know this may generate some smart ass replies). Do you report the phase of endometrium (secretory, proliferative) on hysterectomy specimens? I always have because that's how they did it where I trained but seems like totally worthless information so I stopped reporting it the last few weeks. Surprise - no one seems to care. I was just curious what others do.
No

I do, but simply out of habit and to add a line to the report. Only the generic phase - proliferative or secretory. I don't date it any further than that.

Members don't see this ad :)
What about uterine weights? It's just an unnecessary step in grossing so we dont do it. Got some complaints but explained my reasoning and they were ok with it.

What about uterine weights? It's just an unnecessary step in grossing so we dont do it. Got some complaints but explained my reasoning and they were ok with it.
We were told it had something to do with billing so we include it. I don't think it's for our billing, it's for the surgeons. I.e. if the uterus is >500g or some arbitrary amount it changes their billing. Not sure, though.

Usually I do not mention the specific pattern, and just say it is benign endometrium without hyperplasia.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I usually do but only out of habit from residency. Usually the endometrium is not fixed as well as biopsy specimens so sometimes it's harder to tell and I just say benign endometrium.

Regarding weights, I was told during residency that to apply for OB/GYN boards they needed a list of hysterectomy specimens including the weights. I'm not sure if it's true or not. I don't put it in my diagnosis, but I do make sure it's in the gross description.

I usually do but only out of habit from residency. Usually the endometrium is not fixed as well as biopsy specimens so sometimes it's harder to tell and I just say benign endometrium.

Regarding weights, I was told during residency that to apply for OB/GYN boards they needed a list of hysterectomy specimens including the weights. I'm not sure if it's true or not. I don't put it in my diagnosis, but I do make sure it's in the gross description.

I trained in obgyn and what you guys say is true about uterine weight it
1) billing: the cutoff is 250 g, it's like an extra 2-5 RVUs

2) oral boards: we do need to submit a list that includes uterine weight (it's so that the examiners make sure people are doing the right surgery, e.g. One shouldn't be doing an abdominal hyst for a benign 85 g uterus )

I don't think anyone looks at phase of endometrium and it doesn't change what someone would do post op

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for all the input - for now I guess I'll stick with "endometrium with no evidence of hyperplasia, atypia, or polyp formation."