Husson University School of Pharmacy Class of 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aar44

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to start an thread for Husson University. Is anyone going here? I had my interview back in April and the school was pretty amazing. The only thing I do not like is the location, it is so FAR up in Maine but nonetheless, anyone know about the school.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey! I am planning to attend Husson this fall. I was accepted a couple months ago and have already paid the deposit. I have been living in Maine for 6 years now (originally from Michigan), so I am relatively familiar with the area and might be able to answer some questions. Are you planning on attending or just feeling it out for now?

Hey! I am planning to attend Husson this fall. I was accepted a couple months ago and have already paid the deposit. I have been living in Maine for 6 years now (originally from Michigan), so I am relatively familiar with the area and might be able to answer some questions. Are you planning on attending or just feeling it out for now?

Hey there. Awesome! How do you like the area since you been living there for 6 years? I'm originally from New Jersey and out of the schools I have been, HUSSON is my favorite. I love the community there. Anywho, I got an offer from them an week ago and got accepted to USF which has an ranking. I am a little worried within husson doesn't have an ranking. Based on your knowledge how is the program? It seems that a lot of their students go straight into retail after graduation. To all the interviews I went on, I really like what I saw in Maine. I am just too much of an New Yorker that I need to leave that area to focus on school. And I have options in florida but I rather deal with the cold since it's super safe there.

Members don't see this ad :)
So, I have a family in Maine and am planning to stay here. The job market for pharmacists in Maine is better than other parts of the country, so ranking doesn't mean too much to me. Likewise, I only applied to Husson and UNE (in Portland, ME), because of my intent to stay here while I am in school. UNE and Husson are pretty comparable, but with the scholarship I am getting, Husson is way more affordable. If you're planning to work in New Jersey after graduation and want a hospital job, you will probably need a residency, and getting a residency might be easier if you're coming from a ranked school. It looks like USF's out of state tuition is pretty close to Husson's tuition rate, but how much is it to live in that area? In Bangor, you can get a room in an apartment for around $500-$600 (or less) a month if you are willing to have roommates and whatnot.

Maine is extremely safe, however, it does take some time to get used to the day-to-day lack of excitement. There's just not a lot going on here. I have a great community here and have found a great deal of happiness, but not everyone does. Many people can't deal with the cold, the snow, and stupid stuff like it getting dark at 4PM in December. It really is an adjustment.

With that said, the people in Maine are awesome, laid-back, and very supportive. I also chose Husson because I can tell the faculty are going to be understanding of my life-style (family commitments, kids, work, etc.) Everyone there had a great attitude and I know I will fit right in. I think you should follow your gut and do what's best for you! Good luck choosing!!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey! I just got accepted into the school. I did a video interview though, as I had exams during the week of the scheduled interview. I haven't visited Maine but I like the idea of a relax, tranquil town where I can live in and fully dedicate to pharmacy studies. I live in a place where distractions are many and studying pharmacy would not be ideal here. I haven't decided yet if I'm attending this school, as I'm waiting to hear back this week from two other schools. With that said, I've looked into Bangor and I've read/seen some really nice things. I would also like some input on Bangor life. While I know it's not the same, I visited Iceland last year for 2 weeks and fell in love with the country, weather patterns and all. I know it's a small sample but if Bangor weather and climate is similar, I wouldn't mind living there for the next 4 years.

Reactions: 1 user
So, I have a family in Maine and am planning to stay here. The job market for pharmacists in Maine is better than other parts of the country, so ranking doesn't mean too much to me. Likewise, I only applied to Husson and UNE (in Portland, ME), because of my intent to stay here while I am in school. UNE and Husson are pretty comparable, but with the scholarship I am getting, Husson is way more affordable. If you're planning to work in New Jersey after graduation and want a hospital job, you will probably need a residency, and getting a residency might be easier if you're coming from a ranked school. It looks like USF's out of state tuition is pretty close to Husson's tuition rate, but how much is it to live in that area? In Bangor, you can get a room in an apartment for around $500-$600 (or less) a month if you are willing to have roommates and whatnot.

Maine is extremely safe, however, it does take some time to get used to the day-to-day lack of excitement. There's just not a lot going on here. I have a great community here and have found a great deal of happiness, but not everyone does. Many people can't deal with the cold, the snow, and stupid stuff like it getting dark at 4PM in December. It really is an adjustment.

With that said, the people in Maine are awesome, laid-back, and very supportive. I also chose Husson because I can tell the faculty are going to be understanding of my life-style (family commitments, kids, work, etc.) Everyone there had a great attitude and I know I will fit right in. I think you should follow your gut and do what's best for you! Good luck choosing!!

One of my coworkers actually moved to Maine since it has alot of pharma companies up there, I did not know what prior to applying. That is good to hear since I was looking at the stats and it seems saturated in Maine? I feel you. It will probably be cheaper than you. I guess NJ is similar since we have two pharmacy school(one in state and one private university). One of my intentions in Pharmacy School is landing the John Hopkins Internship, and I heard USF sends an student or two to the program every year and that really attracted me about them and their research on pharmagenomics. That is about the same price in Tampa, which really surprised me. Its cheaper than NJ. This is why there are some students from NJ in Husson. Kristen told me she usually gets students from NJ and most of them get admitted.

The cold won't be an problem here. Since I am from NJ, I've dealt with the worse conditions which is similar to Maine but it doesn't get too cold that often which I like. That being said, I just need an place away from school to study since it will be 4 years of my life. NJ is full of distractions. And I like that Maine doesn't have that much going on there. From my visit, Bangor is an pretty nice area. It is NOT New York City which I am use to but it's good enough to study. Since you have other commitments, I am guessing you will be working during pharmacy school? And do you think I would need an car to get around? I heard from other students that there isn't a lot of transportation around the school.

Hey! I just got accepted into the school. I did a video interview though, as I had exams during the week of the scheduled interview. I haven't visited Maine but I like the idea of a relax, tranquil town where I can live in and fully dedicate to pharmacy studies. I live in a place where distractions are many and studying pharmacy would not be ideal here. I haven't decided yet if I'm attending this school, as I'm waiting to hear back this week from two other schools. With that said, I've looked into Bangor and I've read/seen some really nice things. I would also like some input on Bangor life. While I know it's not the same, I visited Iceland last year for 2 weeks and fell in love with the country, weather patterns and all. I know it's a small sample but if Bangor weather and climate is similar, I wouldn't mind living there for the next 4 years.

Congrats on getting in!! Where are you from if you do not mind me asking? I am in the same boat. And where did you apply? I am in the same situation as you, the place I am around is pretty distractive. Bangor Life as Cali said is pretty safe. From my visit(I only stayed 2 days), it is pretty safe. Not what NJ is like, it gets dark around 5pm? And there are restaurants there, not so much of an bar scene. Not so much going on. But you would need an car to get around since I didn't see too much of buses or ubers around. If you are looking for an ideal place for pharmacy school, Bangor is the place for you. The staff at Husson is one thing that really attracted me, I wouldn't know what if I didn't interview with them. As in Climate, I believe Bangor gets cold a lot which would be similar to Iceland and its pretty safe. **cough cough Tampa** There are trails around Bangor you can go to(if you are into hiking). But I have no idea what is around the area.

Last edited:
@SpiralOut, I'm not all that familiar with Iceland but I can only imagine it's pretty similar weather wise. I actually live in the Augusta area now which is about an hour south of Bangor so I'm not 100 percent on what the day to day is like up there. Husson has a good reputation and with two other universities nearby there's a decent amount of college kids around the area, which makes it one of the more ethnically diverse areas of Maine but still predominantly white. Bangor has some yummy restaurants and it's only an hour or so to the coast which has a lot to offer. Maine is called Vacation land for a reason, its beautiful here. It's extremely safe. Like, leave your keys in your car all night and don't lock your front door before bed, safe. It blew me away how nice people are here when I first moved here. But it is boring. You have to be creative and motivated to find things to do. You should come visit! Husson pays for a hotel for you I think.

@aar44, I would highly recommend having a car. Things are far apart in Maine. Everyone drives. Uber does not exist except a little in Portland. Cabs aren't reliable. Buses rarely run. Having a car is going to make your life so much better. Plus insurance is pretty cheap up here compared to other states. I am planning to work while in school. I bartend full time right now so I'll probably continue that a ltitle and hopefully get an intern job second semester. I worked full time throughout undergrad so I'm pretty used to juggling both work and school and I'll need the money for sure. I'm planning to save up money through this summer's busy tourist season so I can maybe not work quite as much.

Congrats on getting in!! Where are you from if you do not mind me asking? I am in the same boat. And where did you apply? I am in the same situation as you, the place I am around is pretty distractive. Bangor Life as Cali said is pretty safe. From my visit(I only stayed 2 days), it is pretty safe. Not what NJ is like, it gets dark around 5pm? And there are restaurants there, not so much of an bar scene. Not so much going on. But you would need an car to get around since I didn't see too much of buses or ubers around. If you are looking for an ideal place for pharmacy school, Bangor is the place for you. The staff at Husson is one thing that really attracted me, I wouldn't know what if I didn't interview with them. As in Climate, I believe Bangor gets cold a lot which would be similar to Iceland and its pretty safe. **cough cough Tampa** There are trails around Bangor you can go to(if you are into hiking). But I have no idea what is around the area.

While I wouldn't like to share my personal information on a forum, I come from a much, much warmer and busier place. I applied to Husson, VCU, Appalachian, Nova, Larkin, Hilo at Hawaii, Howard and Colorado. Been accepted to 2 programs, rejected by other two, waiting to hear from one after being interviewed, interviewing at another one next week and still waiting to hear for interviews from the other two. PM me if you want to chit-chat a bit more.

@SpiralOut, I'm not all that familiar with Iceland but I can only imagine it's pretty similar weather wise. I actually live in the Augusta area now which is about an hour south of Bangor so I'm not 100 percent on what the day to day is like up there. Husson has a good reputation and with two other universities nearby there's a decent amount of college kids around the area, which makes it one of the more ethnically diverse areas of Maine but still predominantly white. Bangor has some yummy restaurants and it's only an hour or so to the coast which has a lot to offer. Maine is called Vacation land for a reason, its beautiful here. It's extremely safe. Like, leave your keys in your car all night and don't lock your front door before bed, safe. It blew me away how nice people are here when I first moved here. But it is boring. You have to be creative and motivated to find things to do. You should come visit! Husson pays for a hotel for you I think.

This is basically what I'm looking for while I study. Not remote enough to be secluded from society but not busy enough to get easily distracted. I am considering a visit the last weekend of May.

How much is the tuition for 4 years of pharmacy school here? I saw that they charged you guys by credit number? I was just wondering what's the total is.