Husband cheated. Anxious about residency.

All types of women, from college aged woman who were about 5 years younger than me (never again...) to women 10 years older. It was honestly just more attention.

I am pretty confident in my looks, but I have to admit that my last three partners / dates as well as my current wife are subsequently step ups in their looks as well as general success in life compared to people I used to date even in med school (physician, dentist, well published Phd, physician).

To give an example, if you show me a picture of my current wife to myself in highschool, I would have never believed that I am capable of attracting her. The difference has been this stark for me.

Mind you, I am a radiologist and I have much less time socializing with staff compared to other residents.

I do believe men have an easier time dating (or cheating unfortunately) once graduating med school.
I do agree with the last sentence that men will ultimately have an easier time. You do get a bump in your overall appeal after all.

But if you're attracting better looking women then without a doubt you look much better than you used to. Guys who do get with girls well out of their league generally have a sugar daddy type of role. Also there's a very common pattern of unfaithful girls being with guys who don't look as good as them (due to insecurity).
There's also the fact that an educated woman who's aging wants to get with a decent looking doctor when she has the chance. Looks are also relative to her prime; if she's gone down a couple notches then she would think she isn't nearly what she used to be.

Members don't see this ad.

I do agree with the last sentence that men will ultimately have an easier time. You do get a bump in your overall appeal after all.

But if you're attracting better looking women then without a doubt you look much better than you used to. Guys who do get with girls well out of their league generally have a sugar daddy type of role. Also there's a very common pattern of unfaithful girls being with guys who don't look as good as them (due to insecurity).

It also has to do with the fact that during med school I was very nonselective and cultivated situations that was low stress and nontime consuming for me. I supposed when I was more serious about romance during residency I had better luck.

Money hasn't even been a factor yet. I can't say I have experienced the jump from resident to attending, which is supposedly the biggest jump. I can't imagine getting any woman more attractive than my wife as she's already cream of the crop.

I guess as a resident you still need to actively pursue people and get yourself out there, and perhaps as an attending attractive women will start to hit on you.

Reactions: 1 user
I think DT III had a point - ultimately what does our advice mean? nothing. These are emotional decisions you have to make, both in how you react emotionally and how you react behaviorally. Of course you also have to consider the practical decisions as well, re: emotional wellbeing of your children and only you know your situation well enough to know what that might entail either way.

If you're going to take any advice, I strongly recommend you find a therapist who will help you think (and feel) your way through this until you can determine your own course of action. Whatever you decide you'll be making decisions that impact the rest of your life, so they need to come from fully inside of you and you need to reach the point where you can make them with no regrets or reservations afterwards. It is going to take you quite some time to get to that point; I mean, I imagine you're going through some sort of grief process. It's all a pretty traumatic situation. Really sucks for you, I'm so sorry. No one deserves that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks to everyone that took the time to read and respond to my post. I really appreciate the advice, insight, and kindness. I agree that seeing a therapist is probably a good idea and will hopefully allow me to work through these issues in a healthy way and learn to feel okay again, one way or another.

Thank you

It also has to do with the fact that during med school I was very nonselective and cultivated situations that was low stress and nontime consuming for me. I supposed when I was more serious about romance during residency I had better luck.

Money hasn't even been a factor yet. I can't say I have experienced the jump from resident to attending, which is supposedly the biggest jump. I can't imagine getting any woman more attractive than my wife as she's already cream of the crop.

I guess as a resident you still need to actively pursue people and get yourself out there, and perhaps as an attending attractive women will start to hit on you.
But on a large scale, most male physicians are with female partners who are on the same level of attractiveness as themselves. Chances are the male attending who is being hit on is the best looking doc there and all the credit goes to his status when in reality it's a mix.

Males and females judge men differently. A guy sees a hot girl with her BF and because the guy isn't a top tier model, he assumes the dude isn't anything special. But the reality is the guy is pretty much always well above most other men. You don't need to be in the top 1% to be considered hot to girls, likewise having a nice body & haircut doesn't automatically make a guy attractive like many people say on forums like this.

This is a really sad situation. Sorry to hear this happened to you. :(

I have to agree with those who are saying that IF a male physician wants to cheat, he will have the opportunities to do so as a resident and as an attending physician. There are definitely some women out there who will pursue a man just because the man is a doctor, and my understanding from my male peers is that just saying you're a doctor makes it really easy to get dates on online dating sites and such.
I wouldn't focus on the issue of his resident classmates being female. Even if all the other residents in his program were male, there will still be plenty of other women around the hospital - lots of nurses, techs, PT/OT/Speech therapists, residents from other programs, female attendings...even patients will sometimes hit on their doctors (though I think the vast majority of docs would not get it on with a patient, it does happen).
I say that not to make you feel bad or paranoid, but just to point out that it's not like you can stop him from having opportunity with other women. He's going to meet women and have the means to cheat with them if he wants to.
So, really, the bottom line is, you have to decide if you can trust him or not. It's not about keeping him away from other attractive women. It all comes down to *his choice* to be faithful or not.
You have to decide if you really think this was a temporary lapse or if his affair with this nurse was evidence that he just isn't the person you thought he was.
I am a mother, so I understand that it is a big deal to consider ending a marriage when you have children. I can't tell you what's right for your family. I think if this happened to me, though, I would have a very hard time ever forgiving this kind of thing. I think seeing a therapist to get some support and sort through your feelings is essential. I wish you all the best in whichever way it goes, and please do keep reaching out here if we can be helpful.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Well, yes, the bottom line *might* be whether she can trust him or not. But that's not the only choice/decision that might be made. Not that I'm advocating any decision over the other because it's all so personal, but even if you can't trust (I mean, like, can you ever after something like that? You can't just will yourself into trusting someone, and it's totally unrealistic to keep someone away from attractive women, plus there's the whole "door in the face" effect in psychology)... there is also the possible decision of accepting that the trust is broken and might not ever be healed but to just hope for the best and that he never disappoints in that way again while making the best of the things in life that are going OK in the meantime/look the other way and accept that this is a major flaw in someone you love (which is the choice my grandmother made, though I imagine that decision was probably more common in the 50s and prior, when it was harder on women to get divorced; personally I think this would be an impossible choice for me, but it's still a choice some people make, a kind of unusual radical acceptance I guess), OR (another possible choice) decide to negotiate some sort of (equitable and well-delineated) open relationship or something in between (which would be tricky with kids, but again, a choice some people make, at least per the David Savage/Savage Love podcasts I've been listening to to liven up my commute lately).

Personally I don't think I would make either of those choices, but who knows- maybe I would. Hopefully I'll never have to be in that situation and find out. Life is complicated and messy and when I'm faced with a difficult decision I like to think of all the possible choices, no matter how absurd they might be- it makes me feel less anxious in a weird way to feel like I have identified all options and there are more conceivable possibilities than just full-stop yes or no even if I think the other options are a little crazy, but maybe that's just me and my phobia of black/white thinking. The one thing I do know about how I would react in such a situation is that I would most certainly seek therapy/counseling to help organize my thoughts in such a sh***y situation. Hope the OP finds the support she needs :(

Should'a used the Mike Pence method! :laugh:

600.jpg

From OP's original post, her husband went out for drinks with a nurse and then spent two nights with her. It's bad, but it's not multiple occasions of infidelity with multiple women. It might be the start of a pattern, there may be other occasions OP doesn't know about, or it might be a one-off that caught her husband unprepared and will never happen again. None of us know, and from the sound of it neither does OP.

Couples therapy sounds like a very good idea.

I also think OP needs to take a look at how she would like the rest of her life to go. When she is 70 and a grandmother, does she still want to be in this marriage? Does the answer to that depend on whether her husband will be faithful from now on? Would she rather be divorced? If so, would she want to bring up her children as a single mother, or try to find another life partner? What will she regret the least?

It's all hard stuff to start thinking about again, when getting married should mean all these questions are off the table for life.

Cheating is bad for a relationship:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Hahaha, this woman's husband is living the "greys anatomy" life if you know what I mean.;)

Seriously though, you guys need some help.

Cheating happens because something needed within the relationship was not attained during the relationship. Sad reality is once someone gets caught, they get a lot better about not getting caught again. I hope that he truly is remorseful and that it doesn't happen again but you have to ask yourself "Will I ever be able to trust again". If not then you're just putting yourself and your husband in situation where scabs will constantly be pulled off and never heal. Kids makes things very difficult but on the same note trying to cover up the hurt and fix a situation that may be irreconcilable will put them through more. Sadly, my advice is decide 1) can you and will you live with this? 2) decide how you are going to make sure that there is enough trust left that a division between you and your husband can still function (he may say he is willing to make a lot of changes but will he be willing to be constantly questioned about every detail whi is absolutely in your right given the infidelity).I have seen this sort of thing a lot in medicine. Sometimes it is the young pretty nurse who is a reminder that the physician is still attractive (I have seen be both with male and female physicians/nurses etc) and sometimes its just an escape from reality (married with children). I suggest if you guys really want to make it work seeking professional counseling may be a good option as they may help with effective communication styles and other things that maybe neither one of you realized was an issue. I sincerely wish you the best of luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't be so quick to blame the OP. Hubby might just be an dingus for whom marital vows are just an inconvenience.

Cheating happens because something needed within the relationship was not attained during the relationship. Sad reality is once someone gets caught, they get a lot better about not getting caught again. I hope that he truly is remorseful and that it doesn't happen again but you have to ask yourself "Will I ever be able to trust again". If not then you're just putting yourself and your husband in situation where scabs will constantly be pulled off and never heal. Kids makes things very difficult but on the same note trying to cover up the hurt and fix a situation that may be irreconcilable will put them through more. Sadly, my advice is decide 1) can you and will you live with this? 2) decide how you are going to make sure that there is enough trust left that a division between you and your husband can still function (he may say he is willing to make a lot of changes but will he be willing to be constantly questioned about every detail whi is absolutely in your right given the infidelity).I have seen this sort of thing a lot in medicine. Sometimes it is the young pretty nurse who is a reminder that the physician is still attractive (I have seen be both with male and female physicians/nurses etc) and sometimes its just an escape from reality (married with children). I suggest if you guys really want to make it work seeking professional counseling may be a good option as they may help with effective communication styles and other things that maybe neither one of you realized was an issue. I sincerely wish you the best of luck.

Reactions: 2 users
I wouldn't be so quick to blame the OP. Hubby might just be an dingus for whom marital vows are just an inconvenience.

Marital vows? What are those?

Puhleeze.... this isn't about "will he do it again" but when he will do it again. This all comes down to integrity...or lack thereof. Given the state of our culture, it is a rare find to meet another with sterling integrity. Forget looks. Character is priceless.

OP, I don't know if you are still reading these boards but there is a very good book women need to read in situations like yours

Leave a Cheater, Gain a Life: The Chump Lady's Survival Guide Paperback – May 10, 2016

When it comes to cheating, a lot of the attention is focused on cheaters—their unmet needs or their challenges with monogamy. But Tracy Schorn (aka Chump Lady) lampoons such blameshifting and puts the focus squarely on the-cheated-upon (chumps) and their needs. Combining solid advice that champions self-respect, along with hilarious cartoons satirizing the pomposity of cheaters, Leave a Cheater, Gain a Life offers a fresh voice for chumps who want (and need) a new message about infidelity. This book will offer advice on Stupid **** cheaters say and how to respond, Rookie mistakes of the recently chumped and how to disarm your fears, Why chumps take the blame and how to protect yourself, and more.

Full of snark, sass, and real wisdom about how to bounce back after the gut blow of betrayal, Schorn is the friend who guides you through this nightmare and gives you hope for a better life ahead.

You might want to buy the book, let your husband see that you are reading it, tell him you have every intention of looking at your options, and if he's interested, make an appointment for both of you to see a therapist together.

Best wishes

Reactions: 3 users
So as the title states, I found out a few months ago that my husband cheated on me multiple times with a nurse. I didn't find out about it until almost a year after the fact and not because he decided to come clean. Apparently it happened when he worked with her for two surgery rotations at a hospital 3 hours away, but we were still visiting regularly on weekends. They met up in a group for drinks a few times, then alone, then he slept over at her place twice during the week. The nights they slept together, he told me that his phone had died.

Discovering this has been the single most devastating experience of my life thus far. I have never felt such a tremendous amount of emotional pain, and from a person that I thought would never be capable of such betrayal. It's mind-boggling to me how he always portrayed himself as such a moral and faithful person, disgusted by infidelity. But my eyes have opened. I thought seriously about walking away, but we have kids together which complicates the situation. He seems truly regretful and says he's willing to do whatever to make things better, but we still have a long ways to go in rebuilding trust between us. The number of lies he told regarding these incidents of cheating and the fact that he didn't choose to tell me about it himself really bothers me.

We've discussed how this happened and what steps should be taken to prevent anything like this from happening again (like getting too close/flirty with female co-workers), and he's agreed to limit lunches out with females, drinks after work, etc. until we have worked through these issues.

Well he matched today and unbelievably, his entire residency class is women. I'm incredibly happy for him matching at a good program, but I couldn't help but feel bummed by this. I really hoped and expected there would be other guys in his class that he could hang out and socialize with, hoping this would lessen the need for him to seek such friendships in other women at work. But clearly he will be spending a significant amount of time getting close with these women since they are the only people in his class, and after the whole cheating incident, the prospect of that makes me feel incredibly anxious and afraid. I know it's a situation that requires trust, but I'm just not there yet . My whole world was shattered a few months ago, and honestly I'm still processing it and figuring out how one even goes about trusting someone again after something like that.

Now in a few months he's going to be spending long days and sometimes nights away working with these people, and I'm so afraid something like that could happen again. I don't want to live with anxiety everyday wondering what's going on between him and the people at work, but I can't quite rationalize it out of myself. It just feels like there hasn't been enough time to re-establish that kind of trust. I dread thinking of what the next 3 years could bring for our relationship. Sometimes I still wonder if this is fixable. It's left our marriage in such an unstable and uncertain place, and I don't feel like that's the kind of relationship that survives residency. In a class of all women, at that.

I don't know what I'm looking for exactly. Really just any kind of insight or advice, I guess. I feel like I'm at crossroads and feel incapable of choosing either path. I just feel paralyzed by all of this. It's suppose to be a happy time for him and our family, and I just feel full of dread thinking about all the time he's going to be spending away getting close with these women, and what it could mean again.

How do I overcome this?

Thanks for reading.

The reasons cited for cheating; boredom, excitement, something new, loneliness, stress, etc., will never change. The actions a person takes in response to these is the measure of who they are. Your spouse chose to betray your marriage and then cited one of the above reasons. Did he at any time state that he was a poor husband or did he blame the above reasons?

These situations and feelings will wax and wane throughout our lives, but how we respond to them defines our character. I would think that overcoming the bar of cheating on a wife with multiple kids and claiming stress as the reason means he has set the bar very low. That he blames stress and depression as his reasons seems remorseless.

I doubt you will ever trust him again. The medical field isn't very conducive to regaining trust in a philandering spouse. Every time he is called in early, works late, takes call, or travels for a conference, you will have that voice in the back of your head wondering if this is the time he is meeting her. You will become paranoid every time he has an irregularity in his schedule. To assuage that, you'll 'check up on him', which will annoy him because he's either busy at work or cheating. This will further alienate the two of you until he begins his previous behavior.

I would suggest getting a reputable marriage counselor and later, a lawyer. Meet with the MC a few times as a couple and individually. Get a feel for how your spouse is responding to counseling. Is he still hiding behind the excuse of stress and depression, or is he confronting his decision to handle his woes by cheating? If the former, it's time to get a lawyer.

The initial meeting with a lawyer is usually free. Meet with a few of your local attorneys to get a feel for your options. Avoid the 'take him to the bank and make him pay' types and gravitate towards the 'let's find a fair and equitable decision' ones. Bonus, the lawyers you talk to, even without paying them, cannot be hired by your spouse. By this time, you've had some more counseling and have a general idea on where your husband lies as well as your emotional well being. Is your husband coming around or is he playing lip service and going through the motions?

Don't forget to talk with family, peers, or religious leaders if so inclined.

*Most of the info I've given is due to my current divorce, not due to infidelity, as well as talking with a few colleagues who are dealing with the legal system at the moment.

Reactions: 3 users
I Basically think we all don't have to face all these deceit and lies from our spouse anymore...In a case of mine wen I got sick and tired of all the lies and deceit I had to contact a friend of mine to get me the contact of one of the best hackers in the statesz ..then I met nope at nope dot com..He saved me from the lies of my cheating husband by hacking his phone..In case you need help with hacking any phone or account or other jobs contact him via email.

This is illegal.

So what do you suggest? What's the right way to handle being cheated on and lied to? What are the appropriate expectations, without setting myself up to experience this horrible feeling again?
You're picking at the iceberg from a boat.

You need to see why his personal values didn't stop him from doing it in the first place.
There's a foundation that needs serious repair.

I'd say there is a 100% he get much more strange on the side going forward. Dude sounds like a playa - and you can't blame the playa, blame the game.