MSW Hunter, Fordham, or Columbia - cost & student experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beckyuma

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have been reading threads about the major NYC MSW programs but many seem to be outdated and I'd like to get the updated scoop. So far I've been accepted to Fordham and Columbia and am waiting on Hunter. My end goal is an LCSW working with youth and family, potentially as a school SW.

Here is my thinking:

Hunter - Best value. Long commute for me from Brooklyn. Did not love how macro their focus is; I am not interested in organization/admin.
Fordam - 2x as much as Hunter. Best location. Loved everything I heard while I was there and felt very comfortable.
Columbia - 3x as much as Hunter. Also long commute. Would love to have the name on my resume but is the prestige worth it?

Does anyone have a sense of what the schools offer in terms of financial packages? Can you cut costs by getting a prof assistant job? Any other ideas? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know about the programs but once you get more info on possible funding I would consider the total cost and the amount of loans you'll have to take out veeery carefully. I think there's a good bit of latitude in the work once you get your degree and some experience, but it hurts to have loans and compounding interest hanging over your head a decade or so after you've graduated, when the cost could have essentially been a mortgage payment instead.