Huge predicament!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ab_soccer8

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to read this post.

So I applied to strictly DO schools this cycle after taking my MCAT on 8/19. I submitted my primary app to 20+ schools on 9/8, thinking it would take at least a month to get verified. However, I was verified in less than a week and received many secondaries. The problem is I received my MCAT score today and got a 497. I was hoping I would at least crack the 500 mark. Now I am confused on what to do. I know my chances are slim to none. Should I only submit secondaries to the newer DO schools? Do I have any chance at all? I have over 300 hours of EC, and have been a D2 student-athlete. My EC's are above average and I am receiving some good LOR's. I am also receiving 2 phone calls from alumni to 1 particular school to vouch for me but I do not know what my options are. From my understanding, I can't withdraw bc I already paid and would be considered a re applicant anyway. Please help! What are my best options?

Verified AACOMAS GPA: 3.53, 3.37 sGPA

Members don't see this ad.

Do I have any chance at all if the rest of my application is strong? And is there a strategy I should use to target certain schools and ignore secondaries of the other schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do I have any chance at all if the rest of my application is strong? And is there a strategy I should use to target certain schools and ignore secondaries of the other schools?
If your pocketbook can handle it I wouldn't ignore any secondaries. Might as well go balls to the wall so you don't end up with more regret if you don't get a spot.

Okay. Would it be possible to retake the MCAT in January 2018 and update schools or would it be too late and not be allowed?

Thanks for taking the time to read this post.

So I applied to strictly DO schools this cycle after taking my MCAT on 8/19. I submitted my primary app to 20+ schools on 9/8, thinking it would take at least a month to get verified. However, I was verified in less than a week and received many secondaries. The problem is I received my MCAT score today and got a 497. I was hoping I would at least crack the 500 mark. Now I am confused on what to do. I know my chances are slim to none. Should I only submit secondaries to the newer DO schools? Do I have any chance at all? I have over 300 hours of EC, and have been a D2 student-athlete. My EC's are above average and I am receiving some good LOR's. I am also receiving 2 phone calls from alumni to 1 particular school to vouch for me but I do not know what my options are. From my understanding, I can't withdraw bc I already paid and would be considered a re applicant anyway. Please help! What are my best options?

Verified AACOMAS GPA: 3.53, 3.37 sGPA
I have a 3.55 cGPA and a 3.4 sGPA and a bunch of ECs. However I got a 498 on the MCAT and have only received one interview after applying to 12 schools. So its pretty frustrating, knowing that the rest of my application is good.

I have a 3.55 cGPA and a 3.4 sGPA and a bunch of ECs. However I got a 498 on the MCAT and have only received one interview after applying to 12 schools. So its pretty frustrating, knowing that the rest of my application is good.
Thank you for sharing! Do you mind saying where you received an interview and when you were complete? Our stats are similar, but it is most definitely frustrating how just one aspect of the application (MCAT) determines whether you get in or not.

Okay. Would it be possible to retake the MCAT in January 2018 and update schools or would it be too late and not be allowed?

I'm wondering about this too, theoretically the scores of a Jan MCAT come out in mid to late February which if you're still waiting to hear back from schools could be helpful. I would imagine if you're waitlisted/put on hold/still waiting on an II, a significant increase in MCAT score could be in your favor.

Thank you for sharing! Do you mind saying where you received an interview and when you were complete? Our stats are similar, but it is most definitely frustrating how just one aspect of the application (MCAT) determines whether you get in or not.
I interviewed at LECOM. I was complete mid June.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm wondering about this too, theoretically the scores of a Jan MCAT come out in mid to late February which if you're still waiting to hear back from schools could be helpful. I would imagine if you're waitlisted/put on hold/still waiting on an II, a significant increase in MCAT score could be in your favor.
Yeah exactly. However, I'm thinking a low MCAT score would give you a quick rejection, unless they would know that you are planning a retake in January. That is if the school actually accepts a Jan 2018 MCAT. I believe some schools do not

Afaik, most schools will make a decision based on the information they have rather than wait for a new MCAT score.
OP, you've already applied, see it through. Especially target the newest schools and Idaho when/if it opens this year.

So a retake soon would not be ideal, right? I guess the only option would be to see this cycle through and retake in spring and apply early next cycle if I do not get lucky.

If your pocketbook can handle it I wouldn't ignore any secondaries. Might as well go balls to the wall so you don't end up with more regret if you don't get a spot.

I agree- if you have the waiver, complete them and see what happens. If not, I would focus on the newer schools and others with lower MCAT averages. Off the top of my head, I would shy away from AZCOM, CCOM, and MSUCOM.

I did this, it worked out, had increased a 504 --> 505 with a muuuch more even section distribution & after submitting update got additional II / acceptances

Reactions: 1 users