This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Black_Mamba

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what would happen to the remainder of your enlisted contract. However, you cannot take an HPSP scholarship and remaining drilling. HPSP requires you to take a commission. You cannot be enlisted and commissioned at the same time.

Have been trying to research this, but can't find a definite answer:

I'm currently in the AF Reserves, pre-med, applying to med school next year. My current (enlisted) Reserve contract is not over until 2020, my planned entry into med school (if all goes well) is in Fall of 2019 however.

I know that in order to get the HPSP or go to USUHS I need to get a signed release from my current enlistment - I am wondering if I would be allowed to remain in the reserves while on HPSP in Medical School? Or would the contract I am signing for HPSP be a completely new assignment, releasing me from my unit/AFSC/enlisted ranks altogether?

Basically, I very much like my current assignment in the Reserves, which allows me quarterly UTAs, and I was hoping I could do HPSP as well as remain in my unit.

Any information appreciated!

This might be similar for AF, but for the Army, the recruiter will have to request to release you from the Reserves so this means you won't incur TIS unless you go to USUHS, which you will be considered AD while in med school (no wonder it's a 7-year commitment).

Have been trying to research this, but can't find a definite answer:

I'm currently in the AF Reserves, pre-med, applying to med school next year. My current (enlisted) Reserve contract is not over until 2020, my planned entry into med school (if all goes well) is in Fall of 2019 however.

I know that in order to get the HPSP or go to USUHS I need to get a signed release from my current enlistment - I am wondering if I would be allowed to remain in the reserves while on HPSP in Medical School? Or would the contract I am signing for HPSP be a completely new assignment, releasing me from my unit/AFSC/enlisted ranks altogether?

Basically, I very much like my current assignment in the Reserves, which allows me quarterly UTAs, and I was hoping I could do HPSP as well as remain in my unit.

Any information appreciated!
No, you wouldn't be allowed to remain in the reserves while on HPSP.
Yes, the contract you are signing releases you from your unit. Also, although it sounds appealing now to stay in the reserves while in Medical School; it is impractical since your drill weekends would take time away from studying. You would also do ODS during the summer which means you wouldn't be able to find time to do AT with your unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.