HPSP, USUHS, FAP threads

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yes, so National Guard and HPSP Is separate right? I meant National Guard IS Army, so I figured it might disqualify me later on.

Members don't see this ad.

In order to be in HPSP you MUST be in the Reserves. You MUST NOT be obligated to any other source that requires you to "repay time" to that source or entity be it the Active Reserve, National Gaurd, state, WAMMI, etc. Basically, the students that we see come to HPSP after being in the National Gaurd have been discharged from their unit after fulfilling their contract. There are some (very few) who have been allowed an early discharge in order to pursue a medical degree with the HPSP. Do not count on being allowed to take money from your home state National Gaurd and being discharged because you want to attend medical school, your chances of this are slim at best.

ROTC is a little different. The students who used ROTC to help pay for undergrad, can apply for and hopefully be allowed an educational delay to attend medical school. Then, the time owed for ROTC is added to the time owed for HPSP.

In order to be in HPSP you MUST be in the Reserves. You MUST NOT be obligated to any other source that requires you to "repay time" to that source or entity be it the Active Reserve, National Gaurd, state, WAMMI, etc. Basically, the students that we see come to HPSP after being in the National Gaurd have been discharged from their unit after fulfilling their contract. There are some (very few) who have been allowed an early discharge in order to pursue a medical degree with the HPSP. Do not count on being allowed to take money from your home state National Gaurd and being discharged because you want to attend medical school, your chances of this are slim at best.

ROTC is a little different. The students who used ROTC to help pay for undergrad, can apply for and hopefully be allowed an educational delay to attend medical school. Then, the time owed for ROTC is added to the time owed for HPSP.

OK, So it goes the way I imagined. You attend one source, do your time, and then HPSP and then do your time. I figured it would be too "easy" that you walk in from the street and get enrolled in a program that worth hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone please comment on the Pros vs. Cons of doing the HPSP through the army, air force, or navy. Which is better? does it matter? do you have more opportunities with one over the other?

Thank you for any input you can offer.

Lots of people already have on this very forum. Start at the beginning.
So I'm planning on going back to school from January. What are the proper steps I should take? Should I talk to a recruiter?

My question is: HPSP Looks straight forward: 1 year of Med school-1 year of payback as an active duty service. But:

1. Does residency in the Army count as payback?

2. How is Payroll as a working Army Physician? Dr pay+Base pay by rank (sounds too good to be true so I don't belive) Or just the officer pay?

1. Technically, yes you pay back one year for each year of residency, but you also gain a year of commitment from participating in a DoD training program so it really is a wash. If you do a residency that is 5 years or more (fellowship), you can incur longer commitments.

2. All of the pay tables are open-source and you can find them online: http://www.military.com/benefits/military-pay/charts/military-pay-charts.html. If you plan on doing primary care, you will make nearly equivalent salary, possibly more later in your career. Also, at least at your normal duty location, you will get many more days off than in the civilian world and those are paid holidays. The HUUUUGE differences that you MUST consider before joining the military are:

* The uncertainty and lack of choice in where you live
* The fact you will likely deploy (can be an awesome opportunity, but also tough on families etc)

One thing I didn't mention about pay. As a doc, you get your officer's pay (basic pay), a variable special pay (VSP), additional special pay (ASP), and if board certified an ISP. Also keep in mind your living and food sustinence are in addition to these pays and are 'allowances', not payments. This is huge as this means they are not taxed! These types of things need to be considered when comparing salaries to outside world. Additionally, you do not pay for malpractice and you don't pay a cent for healthcare (may be changing...probably should change). And you get the GI Bill, which with a certain amount of commitment can be transferred to your children (free college for junior?!).

There are pros/cons, money should be a consideration, but the best advice I got before joining was 'Don't do it for the money!' Sound guidance.

Can anyone please comment on the Pros vs. Cons of doing the HPSP through the army, air force, or navy. Which is better? does it matter? do you have more opportunities with one over the other?

Thank you for any input you can offer.

USN is notorious for taking individuals out of GME or not letting them go to do GMO duties on a vessel (so I'm told).

I don't know much about army.

If you want more info about USAF, send me a PM and we can discuss. I debated all 3 and chose to wear the blue for a variety of reasons. I've had a great experience, even as I now consider getting out to pursue a civilian life + ANG or USAFR.

There's some misinformation with the payback section in FAQ:
When you start residency, you can only pay back your reserve obligation and NOT your active duty obligation.

If I were to join the National Guard, when is boot cam starting, or it's a year around deal?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the answer! So this means I can go to boot camp after next semester and continue school in the fall?

For those who take FAP or HPSP, does the service obligation have to be completed in active duty? Or can it be completed in the Reserves?

For those who take FAP or HPSP, does the service obligation have to be completed in active duty? Or can it be completed in the Reserves?

Active Duty. Programs like TMS are reserve programs,but I know very little about that program these days.

I'm contemplating HPSP or FAP later on. However, I'll be IRR all throughout medical school and my intern year. I've already been commissioned. Would these two factors hurt me at all in terms of selection or navigating technicalities?

Did you know that if you are trained in one of the Military Specialties with Critical Shortages, your HPSP years will count for retirement, one year gets added for every SELRES year you complete. I have attached the newest Critical Shortages list, as well as the Instruction detailing the Service Credit for HPSP/FAP . Please let me know if you have any questions.

Attachments

• HPSP CREDIT and CRIT WAR TIME SPEC.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 186
Did you know that if you are trained in one of the Military Specialties with Critical Shortages, your HPSP years will count for retirement, one year gets added for every SELRES year you complete. I have attached the newest Critical Shortages list, as well as the Instruction detailing the Service Credit for HPSP/FAP . Please let me know if you have any questions.

You left out one HUGE word in this statement: "Reserve". You get 50 points/1 year towards a reserve retirement. Which in reality means you accrue less than one years active duty equivalent (200 points vs 365 points) for the entire four years IF you serve 4 years in SELRES after your active duty obligation is completed. It's better than nothing, and a way to get some credit for your HPSP time, but I wouldn't want people to think they are all the sudden going to be able to get some great windfall. (and it's been in place since 2000)

There are a couple that answer in the Veterinary forum

Reactions: 1 user
I doubt it. You can post any info you'd like. There is nothing secret or mysterious. But maybe you were called out for spamming half the threads on the first page. Answer his questions. Can't wait to read it.

I doubt it. You can post any info you'd like. There is nothing secret or mysterious. But maybe you were called out for spamming half the threads on the first page. Answer his questions. Can't wait to read it.

I’m going to assume that most of this post was directed at me so… Here is what I know:

To the OP, first I recommend that you contact Dr. Elliot Garber (http://www.elliottgarber.com/) He is an Army Vet that I personally hold in high regard. I'm not "outing" him. He has posted his info in the veterinary forum and we have spoken in the past about his willingness to speak to those like you.

I am not a recruiter, nor do I work for the Recruiting Command. I can tell you that the HPSP provides full tuition, authorized (by the Army not the school) books, equipment and fees. For the Vet Corps it is only offered for the last two or three years of vet school. Minimum payback time is 8 years, with no less than three on active duty regardless of scholarship length. It is possible to join and do the three active and then the last five in the Army Reserve. It’s best to speak to an Army Recruiter concerning this. 1-800 872-2769. Make sure you talk to a recruiter who knows you want come in as an officer and a veterinarian.

Is the scholarship competitive? Yep. There are a very limited amount of veterinarians that are brought in each year. Last year there were almost 150 applications for 33 scholarship slots. That said, letters of recommendation, transcripts, experience, research and such you provide goes a long way. Think of it as applying to vet school and you made it there. Right? The one sure way to not get in is to not apply.

First Year Graduate Veterinary Education (FYGVE): All HPSP students must apply to this program and it is served while on active duty. If selected you can turn it down. It can be considered an internship that neither incurs and obligation, nor does it pay back any of the obligation incurred by scholarship participation. The general feeling is that the Vet Corps would rather have you do it than not.

Other educational opportunities available:
Ph.D.
MPH, with different programs or internships available in combination – the Vet Corps really likes for its docs to have a MPH…
Lab animal Residency (with or without Masters), Pathology Residency

Now for a couple personal observations based on almost 16 years around the Vet Corps and 31 years working in and for the Army AMEDD. In 16 years there have been three veterinary students drop from the HPSP due to academics. Because of the selection process for the scholarship (Army Veterinarians sitting on the selection board and only selecting the best) it has related to less than ½ of one percent drop rate. The Army veterinarians that I have personally known over the years have volunteered and enjoyed deployments. What they have told me is that while in Afghanistan, they are provided the opportunity to work with large animals and put their food safety skills to use. Overall, the HPSP has between 1400and 1800 participants depending on the time of year. The veterinarians are certainly the ones who can be counted on to excel academically and seemingly are the happiest once they access onto active duty.

One last website is http://vetopportunities.amedd.army.mil/index.html. But as I stated in the beginning, please visit Dr. Garber’s website and drop him a line he is really my go-to-guy for folks like you and he has no vested interest like a recruiter will. He’ll give it to you straight. Also, feel free to PM me if I can help at all. Again, I'm not a recruiter so I have no vested interest either.

Gastrapathy - As far as the spam comment, not really sure if that was directed at me. If so, which of my previous 380+ posts would you consider to be spam as opposed to simply information?

I am looking into taking up the Army or the Air Forces' medical school assistance program. I am a first year med student that is newly married and bought a house. My wife is okay with this if they are able to keep me at a reserve level and my repayment is on a reserve basis. I have spoken with a recruiter and know to get everything in writing before agreeing to join up.
For those of you who have gone through this program, Army or AF, would you do it again or would you have just increased your loan amounts? The $2300/month stipend is pretty attractive to me right now; and the fact that they wouldn't be able to dictate my specialty is attractive as well.

I am looking into taking up the Army or the Air Forces' medical school assistance program. I am a first year med student that is newly married and bought a house. My wife is okay with this if they are able to keep me at a reserve level and my repayment is on a reserve basis. I have spoken with a recruiter and know to get everything in writing before agreeing to join up.
For those of you who have gone through this program, Army or AF, would you do it again or would you have just increased your loan amounts? The $2300/month stipend is pretty attractive to me right now; and the fact that they wouldn't be able to dictate my specialty is attractive as well.
What program are you discussing with a recruiter? You do know that Reserve Medical Corps Officers deploy, right?

I believe the stipend program is in the Reserve Medical Corps. http://www.goarmy.com/amedd/education/graduate-health-care-education.html

No, I didn't know that. I have not met with the recruiter yet, just a phone call. Our meeting is tomorrow.
Make sure you are fully aware of what you are signing up for before trying to join the reserves. The military doesn't need reservists because we love having you drill on the weekends. We have reserves so that you can be mobilized when needed. If you aren't enthusiastic about the opertunity to deploy do not join. Don't be the guy who is shocked when he is asked to mobilize, it's a huge disruption on your life but it should be an expected disruption.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi Everyone,

Looking to hopefully get some information from anyone out there with experience. I had previously received information for HPSP programs when I was considering medical school. However, my plans changed to pursuing pharmacy instead. I have recently been accepted to a PharmD program and cannot seem to get in contact with recruiters to get ANY information. I have called multiple times and emailed just to find out the basics and ask some questions. I received a reply to an email back stating that there are no pharmacy scholarships and to try again late spring. I replied that I just want general info, expectations, processes, all things Id want to know for applying. Anyway, is anyone able to speak on behalf of HPSP scholarship program and pharmacy school? Any differences in job duty between the different branches? Worth it? etc...Additionally, any info on being able to actually speak to a recruiter and maintain contact instead of having them fall off the grid and ignore me would be GREAT!

Thanks.

Basically there are no HPSP scholarships strictly for pharmacy in the Army. There is an agreement between the Army ROTC scholarship and HPSP for pharmacy. The basics are that you apply for and get accepted for a four-year ROTC scholarship to cover the first four years of pharm/pharm D. Then you are allowed to apply for the remaining 2-3 years (depending on the length of time needed to complete the degree) of HPSP scholarship. The additional three years of HPSP is added to the obligation incurred for ROTC, so basically you would be signing up for seven years of obligation minimum.

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions about Army HPSP

Spoke to the recruiter and someone who went through the FAP. Any ideas from those of you in the know about whether they will eventually let those in residency to do med. school repayment loan, the residency pay, and the previous FAP, as apparently that is currently not an option?

Also, anyone who has info. about the Walter Reed transplant fellowship program with UMB would be appreciated, as they are not responding to my emails or calls to ask about number of spots in the fellowship, average stats for those who are accepted, and whether this is considered a military fellow. or a civilian one.

Spoke to the recruiter and someone who went through the FAP. Any ideas from those of you in the know about whether they will eventually let those in residency to do med. school repayment loan, the residency pay, and the previous FAP, as apparently that is currently not an option?

Also, anyone who has info. about the Walter Reed transplant fellowship program with UMB would be appreciated, as they are not responding to my emails or calls to ask about number of spots in the fellowship, average stats for those who are accepted, and whether this is considered a military fellow. or a civilian one.
What did the AMEDD Recruiter you met with say about Loan Repayment and Stipend programs?

What did the AMEDD Recruiter you met with say about Loan Repayment and Stipend programs?
The recruiter said nothing about it. The student that just went through it and went to the meeting with the office that controls the program said they currently do not let students do all 3 programs. The student I talked to didn't know whether they would reverse that or not, but told me not to plan on it.

The recruiter said nothing about it. The student that just went through it and went to the meeting with the office that controls the program said they currently do not let students do all 3 programs. The student I talked to didn't know whether they would reverse that or not, but told me not to plan on it.
Based on your meeting with the recruiter and FAP recipient, what does the FAP program offer that the others don't?

I suspect because there is overlap between FAP and both other programs (HPLRP and Stipend) they would never allow them simultaneously. FAP appears to be an annual 45K grant while in residency (comparable to Loan Repayment numbers) and the same monthly stipend.

The ACGME website indicates University of Maryland is approved for 2 Transplant Hepatology positions and NCC has none.
https://apps.acgme.org/ads/Public/Programs/Detail?programId=10904
You are nine years from applying to a transplant fellowship so any answers you get now regarding civilian vs military will have changed. Active duty MilMed may be fully civilian in nine years with most deployments covered by medical reservists.

You can only do one program.

If you are in FAP, then generally you can't ask for that branch of services' loan forgiveness program.

The national public health loan forgiveness program is separate however, and is a viable option.

You need to get into income based repayment loan program, then piggy back that with the loan forgiveness program. Serving in the military qualifies you for this loan forgiveness program, but remember other options are qualifying too such as non profit organization and such

How is it now that the Army is downsizing? Is it harder to get in, or is it fairly constant?

I'm an S1 (currently aspiring to become a dentist) and the population fluctuation of the Army is something I can talk *somewhat* intelligently about. So now that the current administration is talking about dumping substantial funds into the Army we have put a lot of the downsizing efforts on hold until we have a better idea of where the money is going to allocated. We recently increased our end strength numbers for RA officers.

Regarding the special branches (Medical, JAG & Chaplain) you really see a correlation between demand and the health of the economy. When the economy is good and employment is not an issue the Army has a very hard time getting enough officers to fill those branches needs, even with downsizing. We always need doctors and medical is a revolving door. When people pay off their loans most of the time they want to go to better paying jobs assuming they are competent enough to get a hospital job.

I assume you're an 18 series so I think it would be easy to get a slot in your case if you got out due to a family care plan issue.

Are there any Army Veterinarians on here that can provide insight on the HPSP?

The HPSP is rumored to be going away for veterinarians. I would go straight to a recruiter and ask them your questions because if this program is in transition they are going to have the most reliable information.

I am the healthcare recruiter for the Army that covers Cornell. I have 6 current scholarship awardees and a couple of active duty veterinarians I can put you in contact with. @emlady09 or anyone else that is looking for info.

Does anyone have any insight about the HPSP selection schedule?? I've been in the process of applying for HPSP since maybe late feb. for the 4 year AF scholarship, and everything has been moving very slowly. I'm afraid I missed out on all the four year scholarships but my recruiter says I'm still fine and that there are still some. I'm dying to know when the May board selection date is, because I have so many other things to work out before school starts depending on if I get into this program or not....does anyone know when the May board is??

Does anyone have any insight about the HPSP selection schedule?? I've been in the process of applying for HPSP since maybe late feb. for the 4 year AF scholarship, and everything has been moving very slowly. I'm afraid I missed out on all the four year scholarships but my recruiter says I'm still fine and that there are still some. I'm dying to know when the May board selection date is, because I have so many other things to work out before school starts depending on if I get into this program or not....does anyone know when the May board is??

You are still good as of now but we are getting close....the positions will fill this year! You will want to make sure you make the next board. May board was 2-4th. June is 22nd.

Does anyone know if USUHS accepts single parents?
The Army requires all single Soldiers or Soldiers that are married to another service member to have what is called a Family Care Plan (DA Form 5305). You talk to your relatives/significant other and decide who is going to take care of your kid(s) if you are TDY or deployed, and then both parties sign and you submit it to your command. It doesn't have to be your next of kin, but obviously someone you trust to be an adult while you are gone. They are not written in stone and can be updated any time there is a change. AR 601-105 is the regulation that covers admission requirements to UHSU. It's 145 pages. As a career AG officers I always tell all the Soldiers that I take care of that they are their best advocate and that when they have questions to take the initiative to dig into the regs. I cannot tell you the number of times I have dealt with supervisors or superiors that had an impact on my career that started to make decisions that effected me without knowing what the regulation outlined. Your recruiter SHOULD know all the ins and outs, but if you decide to give UHSU a shot, be your own best advocate and know your stuff ahead of time.

Here are the most recent regulations that I was able to find on requirements for HPSP/UHSU applications. www.apd.army.mil probably has most of the army regulation regarding this if you want to check them out.

Attachments

• R601_105.pdf
    141.9 KB · Views: 94
Is there a little Napoleon syndrome with working for a PA or a nurse when you are a physician in the AF?

I am thinking about signing up for the FAP in the AF, but I am concerned about having a PA or nurse over me that can't handle the fact that I'm a physician.:D
There is a very high likelihood that you may end up "working" for someone that is medical service or AMEDD branched that is not an MD/OD. In this instance they aren't going to be wearing the healthcare provider hat. They will be giving you input and instruction on administrative types of issues because they are your commander or XO. Everyone in the army answers to someone else, even generals. I can't speak from experience about healthcare on the civilian side, but I assume civilian doctors are accountable to hospital administrators, board members, and licensing organizations. I would be more concerned with getting the respect of your enlisted Soldiers and knowing how to lead. That means being physically fit, knowing how to handle your weapon, wearing your uniform correctly, and behaving in a mature and responsible manner. The profession of arms has a long and storied history and although you will be a physician you will still be an officer in its ranks. Respect is our touchstone. As you long as you have the right attitude you shouldn't encounter too many people with a "Little Napoleon Syndrome" as they tend to get weeded out before they get promoted to Major.

about me, I am going to be a first year medical school this coming fall. I recently met a military recruiter at a family gathering. I believe he is my distance cousin's boyfriend and he is currently serving in the U.S Navy. We talked and I thanked him for his service then i proceed to asking about what he does in the navy . So we talked and he told me he is a dentist and he is getting out next year to practice on his own. He also said he doesn't have any loans because the navy pay for his dental school as well as his cost of living while he was in dental school. He said I could get the same thing from the navy if I accept a military scholarship in return for a 4 year service . By this time, I am super interested and ready to join the military because the though of not having to pay for medical school is really appealing to me. But I forgot to ask him a few more questions so I hope to get my questions answer here.

Here are my questions
1) can I bring my girlfriend with me when I am deployed or bring my wife if I'm married?
2) will the military allow me to choose my specialty ?
3) what is expected of me if I accept the scholarship?
4) what is my day to day work like as a military doctor?
5) do I get to pick where I want to station ?
6) how much am I expected to get paid in total per year so I can budget Accordingly?
7) how many patients will I see everyday?
8)I want to spend quality time with my patients , will the military restrict me from spend more time my patients?
9) finally, will nurses have authority over me because my cousins boyfriend says he has to answer to nurses sometimes because they outrank him?

Thank you!

about me, I am going to be a first year medical school this coming fall. I recently met a military recruiter at a family gathering. I believe he is my distance cousin's boyfriend and he is currently serving in the U.S Navy. We talked and I thanked him for his service then i proceed to asking about what he does in the navy . So we talked and he told me he is a dentist and he is getting out next year to practice on his own. He also said he doesn't have any loans because the navy pay for his dental school as well as his cost of living while he was in dental school. He said I could get the same thing from the navy if I accept a military scholarship in return for a 4 year service . By this time, I am super interested and ready to join the military because the though of not having to pay for medical school is really appealing to me. But I forgot to ask him a few more questions so I hope to get my questions answer here.

Here are my questions
1) can I bring my girlfriend with me when I am deployed or bring my wife if I'm married?
6) how much am I expected to get paid in total per year so I can budget Accordingly?
8)I want to spend quality time with my patients , will the military restrict me from spend more time my patients?
9) finally, will nurses have authority over me because my cousins boyfriend says he has to answer to nurses sometimes because they outrank him?

Thank you!
Mr. Duncan,
To answer your questions, I will go in order.
1. As far as your wording, when you say deployed I assume you mean going to your first duty station. The military will not recognize your girlfriend. You can live off base with her but the military will not pay for her to move with you. If you happen to get married before the end of your medical school, your wife can accompany you to your duty station and the government will pay it.
2. You will go through a match process similar to the match process in the civilian sector. However, there are not as many locations and slots as in the civilian sector. As far as the Army is concerned, we have as many slots available as we have HPSP scholarships. More goes into the match process, I suggest you speak with a recruiter or someone who has gone through a military match.
3. If you accept the scholarship, you will have a year for year commitment to the military branch you choose. This is based off of the length of your scholarship or your residency whichever is greater. Your residency will be with the military. Your obligation would start upon completion of your residency.
4. Your day to day life will for the most part be just like a civilian doctor. There is a physical fitness requirement and there may be formations you must attend, but at the end of the day you are a doctor and that is how the military is going to use you. At the end of the day, we all go home. The difference is during deployments overseas and training. During those times, you will be away from your home station. Once again, if interested talk with your local recruiter more in depth about deployments.
5. You get a "wish list." They will try to get you to a duty station of your choice but ultimately it comes down to the needs of the military. Also where your specialty is needed comes into play. I have spoke with many physicians who are told they get a choice of say 3 locations to choose from. It varies person to person.
6. All physicians start off as an O-3 pay grade. You can google military pay charts. This is your base salary. You also get a Basic Allowance for Housing that is supposed to cover your rent and utilities for the area you are living in. It varies from zipcode to zipcode. Usually an entry level O-3 makes 75k-90k. That number looks low, but take into account that you will have no debt from med school and no malpractice insurance. Once again, speak with a recruiter and they can break down the pay better.
7. That depends on your specialty and where you are stationed. Some places serve the retiree population, some are just small clinics that just see the local service members and their dependents.
8. The military will give you more flexibility than the civilian sector will. I can't speak for all physicians but the military is not driven by insurance. If a service member needs that extra time and care then you are expected to give it.
9. As a physician you are the authority over a patient. A nurse will not "pull" rank on you in patient care. Where a nurse or PA may be placed over you would be in an administrative capacity.

If you would like to speak with me more on this you can direct message me. After speaking with me and if you would like to learn more, I can get you to a local recruiter. I know my responses were brief but there is a lot of information to put out. I definitely recommend speaking with a recruiter and someone who has gone through the process. A good recruiter will put you in touch with one or there are many on this forum that have gone through it. Best of luck to you.

No

You can state which specialty you want to do, but you might not get it and will be forced to become a flight surgeon or other general medical officer.

Pass medical school and serve as a military doctor.

There are whole threads on SDN about that very topic. Start at the top of the military forum and read every one of them

You can file a preference list, but the military picks your duty station.

$70,000-$80,000 a year in residency, $130,000-$140,000 as an attending

Depends on specialty and location. Emergency physicians typically see 25 a day at my hospital. The internists see 6 a day on average. I really have no idea why their numbers are so low.

Yes, as will any civilian private practice. Your job is to see as many patients as possible.

Yes, everything comes down to rank. A nurse cannot order an inappropriate medical treatment, but every other part of your life will be controlled by the people who outrank you.