HPSP, USUHS, FAP threads

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Runner, most likely the recruiter isn't trying to mislead you; they just don't know. They are misinformed, believe what they say, or just don't care enough to learn the details of situations like the detailed ones you ask.

Thanks. It's just joining puts you in a vulnerable position. I want to prepare myself the best that I can if I want to make the big decision to join.

I asked the recruiter to be put in touch with ppl at different stages of the program. I think that is probably one of the best ways to learn the ins and outs of the program. Additionally, I asked him to look into statistics on military matching.

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you! That helps a lot.

The payback time that you explained is right in line with what I believed to be true. The recruiter told me that I would have a maximum of a 3 year payback. I told him what I understood... and he said no.

I am not completely clear on the GMO/Flight Surgeon route. My understanding was that if you didn't match, then you would take a GMO tour and then try to match for your specialty at the end of that. I asked the recruiter to clarify for me and he said that I don't need to worry about matching because I can take the route of military or civilian residency. He also said that I don't need to worry about GMO tours because I won't have to take a GMO tour unless I volunteer for one.

I am very frustrated with the information the recruiter told me. I kept on telling him that the information that he was giving me goes against pretty much everything that I've read and he still went along with his story. Joining the Air Force is a BIG decision and I think they need to be straight with us.

You are correct about the GMO tour timeline. You are correct that many people do not volunteer for oneand get one anyway at the end of Intern year. You are correct that you are stuck with a a military residency unless you are given permission to defer, which is unlikely.

I agree with the above poster that there is a good chance that the recruiter legitimately doesn't know he's wrong. Medical recruiting a billet that they nurse corps and medical serve corps guys into in between deployments, and they often don't do their research because they're seeing their families for the first time in 9 months. Also the orientation isn't great, and a lot of them only have a vague understanding of residency training anyway. That doesn't mean one CAN'T be lying, but ignorance is another likely explanation.

Anyway you don't need to listen to us vs. the recrutier. Ask your recruiter for a copy of the contract that you are going to sign. You're responsible for what's written in it, and you're not responsible for anything else that anyone says, so just read it and make sure you're fine with what you're signing. Make that a habit for the rest of your military career and you'll never need to worry about taking someone at their word..

Finally, why the Air Force?

Last edited:
Thanks, I will definitely ask for the contract so I can read it over and get the facts.

I want to join because I would like to give back and serve the people who protect us. Also, I like the idea that I can travel and have a bit of an adventure while getting amazing medical training and experience. I've chosen the Air Force because I don't see myself being deployed and happy on a boat with the Navy. Also, when I've talked to docs and nurses in the military they always push the Air Force and say that they treat their personnel the best.

Perrotfish: You know a lot about joining. I'm assuming that you are in the military. What branch are you in and have you had a good experience so far? Also, thanks so much for your advice and info thus far!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, I will definitely ask for the contract so I can read it over and get the facts.

I want to join because I would like to give back and serve the people who protect us. Also, I like the idea that I can travel and have a bit of an adventure while getting amazing medical training and experience. I've chosen the Air Force because I don't see myself being deployed and happy on a boat with the Navy. Also, when I've talked to docs and nurses in the military they always push the Air Force and say that they treat their personnel the best.

Perrotfish: You know a lot about joining. I'm assuming that you are in the military. What branch are you in and have you had a good experience so far? Also, thanks so much for your advice and info thus far!

I'm in the Navy, still an Intern. I've had as good an experience so far (for an Intern).

I am looking into Uniformed Services University. I am new to this, so I am unsure about some things. I was born with a bit of a defect in my middle ear, so I have some hearing loss in one ear. I had middle ear surgery when I was 10 years old. It was more of an exploratory surgery and nothing was really changed. I was given a hearing aid when I was younger, but I have not used it. I have gotten along in everything I do just fine, so the hearing loss does not seem to affect me very much.

I read that inner ear surgery and the certain amount of hearing loss disqualifies a person. Then I read about the waiver stuff. I do not completely understand it. Is there no hope for me? Should I just forget about it or do they look at each case by itself and then determine? I guess I am looking for an answer about whether or not I should pursue this or forget it.
They will have you go get an exam from some contractor MD, what they say will influence the process. If you want to do it, tell the contractor you really want to go to USUHS. They will review the results and decide. There's no real penalty for you so you might as well try for the waiver.

Runner 1212, I am AD AF, can't really comment on how the Navy or Army treats its people. Seems like some things are worse some things better. Probably easier to get a fellowship from the AF than from either Army or Navy. Seems like GMOs more common in the Navy. Army has its own medical command (so does Navy?) which used to mean your boss was at least a physician...but that has changed and, like the AF, you could be working for a dentist that works for a nurse etc...But all this can change in the future so be prepared and flexible if you decide to join. While fighting for America's freedom you lose yours.

Runner 1212, I am AD AF, can't really comment on how the Navy or Army treats its people. Seems like some things are worse some things better. Probably easier to get a fellowship from the AF than from either Army or Navy. Seems like GMOs more common in the Navy. Army has its own medical command (so does Navy?) which used to mean your boss was at least a physician...but that has changed and, like the AF, you could be working for a dentist that works for a nurse etc...But all this can change in the future so be prepared and flexible if you decide to join. While fighting for America's freedom you lose yours.

Is there a little Napoleon syndrome with working for a PA or a nurse when you are a physician in the AF?

I am thinking about signing up for the FAP in the AF, but I am concerned about having a PA or nurse over me that can't handle the fact that I'm a physician.:D

Is there a little Napoleon syndrome with working for a PA or a nurse when you are a physician in the AF?

I am thinking about signing up for the FAP in the AF, but I am concerned about having a PA or nurse over me that can't handle the fact that I'm a physician.:D
Not always a Napoleon syndrome but just lack of respect for what you do. Seeing patients becomes just a widget for them and they end up not understanding why you can't do other required BS while doing your widget work. Not uncommon for a boss to stop the show in your work place to have you go to a room and listen to them blather about how great they are or the AF is or not to drive drunk or motorcycle safety or suicide prevention meanwhile your work is piling up. Then they go home at 4:30 and you are left picking up the pieces of the day. Is it the end of the world- no but these little interactions over the course of years starts to wear thin. It still may be worth the FAP however...

I am applying for the Air Force HPSP since I have a military family and a long time military boyfriend and want to serve those who serve the country. I am wondering if anyone knows what they do about student loans already taken out before the scholarship? I heard they only pay off federal loans? Is this true or do they even pay loans at all?

I want the army but the army doesn't want me! Currently working on even getting to apply -- I am in at a DO program and my recruiter said he won't even give me an app until he thinks he can get me a waiver (which I guess I appreciate) for my 7 in one of the MCAT categories. He mentioned that there are a few others in the same boat as me -- in a program, but need waivers. Otherwise, I have a decent record (good GPA and 7 years of medical experience) and would desperately like to do HPSP through army. Has anyone heard of any success getting waivers for this? I saw a few posts, but I do not know how many people are in the applicant pool this year, hence how competitive it is. Does already being in a program help at all? Thanks for any helpful responses.

Hey buddy I'm AF HPSP and looking to talk to other participants of the programs to share experiences from COT, which I haven't attended yet. Please reply so that we can establish contact.

Hey buddy I'm AF HPSP and looking to talk to other participants of the programs to share experiences from COT, which I haven't attended yet. Please reply so that we can establish contact.

I'm AF HPSP too. I will be commissioned in a few weeks and hoping to attend the May 28 COT. Which COT are you planning to go to?

Members don't see this ad :)
hi runner,

I am a current military resident in the AF and in a combined civilian/military program.

payback is 1 to 1 as you said.

there is no penalty for doing a civilian vs active duty (AD) spot. the only difference is when you start you military payback you won't be as familiar with our EMRs. another difference is when you are an AD resident you are acquiring time in service that changes your pay.

If you do not get your residency of your choice you can/will complete an internship (IM, surg or tranision). At that time, you can reapply to your residency of choice. at that time you will either get in or not. If you do not get in you would then do a flight doc/GMO tour. simple as that. many people will then reapply after about two years doing GMO. some will say screw it and finish their obligation as a flight doc and leave the military.

hope that helps

I want the army but the army doesn't want me! Currently working on even getting to apply -- I am in at a DO program and my recruiter said he won't even give me an app until he thinks he can get me a waiver (which I guess I appreciate) for my 7 in one of the MCAT categories. He mentioned that there are a few others in the same boat as me -- in a program, but need waivers. Otherwise, I have a decent record (good GPA and 7 years of medical experience) and would desperately like to do HPSP through army. Has anyone heard of any success getting waivers for this? I saw a few posts, but I do not know how many people are in the applicant pool this year, hence how competitive it is. Does already being in a program help at all? Thanks for any helpful responses.
So the waivers are apparently super difficult to get but not impossible. I got a waiver for my low undergrad GPA, but I do know there was a fair amount of persuasion that had to go into it. I would think the fact that you are already in a program would play in your favor. Hope that helps. Good luck!

Hey all. I'm new to this thread, so pease forgive me if this has already been discussed. I'm finishing my second year in med school and have been recently considering military medicine for both the unique medical experiences/training opportunities (including deployment) and for the financial benefit (a.k.a., loan repayment). From my research, it seems that to do any of the military programs for the sole reason of loan repayment is not a good move because it can wind up as a wash...which is fine. I'm not in medicine for big bucks and am genuinely interested in military medicine. I eventually want to do missions medicine and think the military would also provide a unique set of experiences that may better prepare me for that.

That being said, I've been considering an Army HPSP scholarship only to find out later on from my recruiter that there are no more two year scholarships available. I was pretty bummed because I'd like the opportunity to do a military residency amongst other things. The recruiter briefly told me about medical student reserve program, FAP, HPLRP and STRAP. I don't think he himself had a good understanding of these as the information he presented me with was not consistent with what I found online.

So, basically I'm wondering if there anyway to go military now (while still a student) and still get my loans repaid without HPSP? What is the difference between FAP and HPLRP and why would you pick one over the other?

Thanks for any and all advice!

Air Force HPSP Questions:

What factors make it less likely to match into military residency?
Is it possible to defer from the military match? Frowned upon?
What factors make it less likely to end up in flight surgery?
If your board scores are very high, are you more/less likely to match civilian?

Air Force HPSP Questions:

What factors make it less likely to match into military residency?

Largely depends on the number of applicants. If 50 people apply for 25 slots, then 25 of them aren't going to get a military residency.

Is it possible to defer from the military match? Frowned upon?

Yes, you can get a civilian deferral, but that depends upon the needs of the military. If the Air Force needs 25 emergency physicians, but only has space to train 15 of them, then another ten will get deferrals. Getting a civilian deferral is not necessarily frowned upon, but advertising that your goal is to get out of military training can hurt you.

What factors make it less likely to end up in flight surgery?

Matching into residency. That's it. Oh, and having poor vision.

If your board scores are very high, are you more/less likely to match civilian?

Depends on your rank list and how much the military wants you. The Air Force's GME website should have the selection criteria posted on its website. It's a point-based system with points awarded for grades, board scores, LOR's, research, prior service, and most importantly, "ability to become a career officer."

Hello All,

I am looking into the HPSP scholarship, possibly AF, and am finding some conflicting views on the subject. The posts that I am reading could quite honestly be outdated anyway. It seems that around 2006, there were a lot of horror stories about this program and I wanted to get the low down on the program's current situation, as well as the current quality of military medicine because I have read that it is not all that it is cracked up to be.

I want to provide the best quality care for my patients regardless of if I do military or not and use the skillset that I have been trained to use in school/residency. I would just like information on the program from current students in any of the military HPSP programs and on the current military medicine quality situation.

Thank you for any and all helpful information!

Sincerely,

Sachmo

I am looking into the HPSP scholarship, possibly AF, and am finding some conflicting views on the subject. The posts that I am reading could quite honestly be outdated anyway. It seems that around 2006, there were a lot of horror stories about this program and I wanted to get the low down on the program's current situation, as well as the current quality of military medicine because I have read that it is not all that it is cracked up to be.

The only thing that's changed is that the DoD has less money now than it did in 2006. The horror stories still exist. Read this forum more.

The only thing that's changed is that the DoD has less money now than it did in 2006. The horror stories still exist.

So things are still as dismal as what has been described in the past? The military doctors are able to prescibe any necessary tests/medications but the hospital may not have the necessary technology available for those tests to be run?

Also, what can you tell me about TriCare?

So things are still as dismal as what has been described in the past?

Yes, or worse. Getting funding to go to a conference is damn near impossible.

The military doctors are able to prescibe any necessary tests/medications but the hospital may not have the necessary technology available for those tests to be run?

Yes

Also, what can you tell me about TriCare?

It's an HMO. Anything else you want to know about it?

It's an HMO. Anything else you want to know about it?
Tricare Prime is an HMO. Tricare as a whole is just insurance.

And insurance that you might be hard pressed to find providers accept in many markets. Their reimbursement is awful....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I take a navy hpsp and fulfill my commitment as a gmo and do a civ residency afterwards do most civ residency programs make you redo your intern year or do you start as a pgy2? I'm specifically interested in ortho or neurosurg.

If I take a navy hpsp and fulfill my commitment as a gmo and do a civ residency afterwards do most civ residency programs make you redo your intern year or do you start as a pgy2? I'm specifically interested in ortho or neurosurg.

Depends on the specialty. If you are going into anesthesia or rads, maybe not. For ortho or neurosurgery, there are no orthopedic or neuro internships. You would most likely complete a second internship.

The Navy has ortho internships.

If you do a categorical internship and then go civilian for the same specialty it is likely to count. If you want to do a residency that accepts pretty much any internship (derm, ophtho, rads, etc) then you are likely to get credit. If, however, you do a transitional internship and decide to be a surgeon you will not get credit. If you do an internal med or transitional internship and end up wanting to do family med or peds you may get partial credit. Etc, etc.

If you do a categorical internship and then go civilian for the same specialty it is likely to count. If you want to do a residency that accepts pretty much any internship (derm, ophtho, rads, etc) then you are likely to get credit. If, however, you do a transitional internship and decide to be a surgeon you will not get credit. If you do an internal med or transitional internship and end up wanting to do family med or peds you may get partial credit. Etc, etc.
Thanks! This begs the question--how hard is it to get one of the ortho/neurosurg internships (relative to getting into civilian residencies) given the low number of spots.

Just had a few questions about military medicine as a potential USUHS student...

1. Realistically, what is it like trying to balance your personal life with your military obligations? Like how much say do you get in where you live? The hours you work? Does it vary between branches (I applied AF)?

2. How would you compare the pros/cons of military and civilian medicine? I've read that the facilities, education, and resources on the military side can be lacking...

3. How realistic are the military matching statistics? I know they said they are very high but I've also read those aren't very accurate. I'm not excited at the thought of doing a GMO tour (any one have any insights on that?). I'm interested in emergency medicine, so how is the future looking for me?

Just had a few questions about military medicine as a potential USUHS student...

1. Realistically, what is it like trying to balance your personal life with your military obligations? Like how much say do you get in where you live? The hours you work? Does it vary between branches (I applied AF)?

2. How would you compare the pros/cons of military and civilian medicine? I've read that the facilities, education, and resources on the military side can be lacking...

3. How realistic are the military matching statistics? I know they said they are very high but I've also read those aren't very accurate. I'm not excited at the thought of doing a GMO tour (any one have any insights on that?). I'm interested in emergency medicine, so how is the future looking for me?

Everyone of your questions could be answered by reading the stickies at the top of the forum. Please read them first and then come back here to ask for any clarifying questions. I'm surprised that you would want to sign contract that will hold you to the military for 13 years or more without knowing anything about the job.

-In which of the programs can you serve the owed time in the National Guard or Reserves?

- If I'm prior service with 13 yrs and if I am accepted in the HPSP can I retire after completing my 4 yrs of medical school and 3 yrs of residency (20 yrs of service)?

- How do they match each applicant with a service branch in USUHS? I have served in the Navy and Army, but if I want to go to the AF what are my chances?

- Is the FAP only for the Navy?

Thank you for all the help. I have been reading and researching but it has been difficult to find exactly specifics to this questions. I will like to go back to the service and complete my 6+ yrs to retire but I don't want to stay pass 22 yrs of service.

Suggestions welcome! Good luck to all.

-In which of the programs can you serve the owed time in the National Guard or Reserves?

- If I'm prior service with 13 yrs and if I am accepted in the HPSP can I retire after completing my 4 yrs of medical school and 3 yrs of residency (20 yrs of service)?

- How do they match each applicant with a service branch in USUHS? I have served in the Navy and Army, but if I want to go to the AF what are my chances?

Thank you for all the help. I have been reading and researching but it has been difficult to find exactly specifics to this questions. I will like to go back to the service and complete my 6+ yrs to retire but I don't want to stay pass 22 yrs of service.

You will have to payback the 4 years of medical school (or 7 years for USUHS) after residency.
You can join the branch you want at USUHS if spots are still available when you commit, seems like AF and Navy go before Army which has more spots.
FAP exists in other branches, moving target for what they want year to year.
Can't comment on the reserves or Guard. But there are threads here for that. If you have 13 years in already I would recommend some form of DoD commitment
but be wary of the GMO trap and might not want to do a fellowship that would extend you.

Reactions: 1 user

None. You must go on active duty for all of them.

No. Time counted for retirement includes residency in payback, but not medical school. Also, you cannot retire until you have finished your payback.

You can join whatever branch you wish, so long as there are spots available. No one can give you exact number on what your chances.

No. The Air Force and Army have the same program.

Every single one of your questions has been answered many times before in this forum. If you are really thinking about taking the government's money to pay for medical school, you need to spend the next 12 hours reading each and every thread on this forum.

Start reading.

I have never heard anyone question the accuracy of matching statistics, but I am no expert on the topic.

I am sure that the discussion on GMO has been argued at lengths on this forum. My path and interests seem pretty similar to yours though Golden Bear. Here is one more anecdote to use as you try to develop you global sight picture:

I did HPSP thru the USAF. I initially was going to apply directly into EM, but also was considering peds. My mentor during med school was a retired full-bird O-6 (Colonel) who was serving as the local Pediatrics GME medical director. He urged me to try an ADT in flight medicine stating that that never doing a tour as a flight surgeon was his biggest regret. I did it down at Eglin AFB, who at the time, housed F-15 Eagles. It was the most fun month of my medical school culminating with a familiarization flight in the Eagle D-model (two-seater).

I ended up deciding to forego applying into EM and instead only ranked transitional years and prelim years. I planned to serve back all three years of my commitment as a flight doc. I have now done two tours (1 short remote and an additional full tour) with two different fighter platforms. I've been stationed in both Asia and Europe. I've traveled (with work) and practiced medicine in almost a dozen countries. I've flown on over 10 USAF aircraft and made incredible friends in the pilot community. You will hear that GMO's are a danger to military healthcare etc, but that argument is better served in a forum of itself. It is true that your training is limited and you need to have self-awareness of this fact and a higher threshold to refer if uncertain. That said, the military would not use GMO's if they were not needed.

I have had incredible experiences that I will never forget and would never want to have missed. I do want to grow up and become a 'real doc' though. If you want to discuss going from flight medicine GMO into aerospace medicine GME, then that is also another HUGE can of worms, but ultimately, I am in the position where I am applying into EM GME with the ability to choose whether or not I want to stay in the military as AD, get out and go civilian or split the difference by doing civilian GME and remaining a flight doc for the ANG or Reserve (who actually have really great bonuses as well). Lots to think about!

Again, as stated above this is just one anecdote and although anecdotes are a form of evidence, they do happen to be the weakest form.

Good luck with your decision. Let me know if you have further Q's.

Reactions: 1 user
Nova has a program to get a D.O and a D.M.D that last 6 years. I want to be a Oral Surgeon. Can I do the 6 year program, do my 4 year oral surgery residency, and payback 6 years to the military.

HPSP will not pay for dual degree programs.

I did an MD/MBA. I was able to do a 3 year HPSP, but it was complicated and they only allowed it because they did not find out about this program until I had already been awarded the scholarship. They basically don't know how to combine the two processes.

Hey everyone! I just wanted to clarify something that has already been touched upon.

Just to give a brief background of where I am at now:
Im in the middle of the app process for med school matriculation Fall 2015. I have considered applying for HPSP through USAF but am not 100% committed. I love the idea of being able to get the incomparable experience through military medicine and really would be honored to serve my country as a physician. Currently, I am interested in pediatrics but I know that my opinions are likely to change once in medical school. Its hard to get the best of both worlds going through the military and I am well aware of that, nothing in life is free!

My question is about the "2 year option to get out." Say that I get offered a 4yr HPSP but then within my first or second year I decide that military is not the route I want to go. How does that work? Will that negatively impact me in civilian matching? Do I end up paying back the money the military lended me? In other words, when is the contract completely binding and how does the pay back work?

I don't think that a '2 year option' was available when I signed up for HPSP in 2005-2006. I would ask the recruiter to see the actual guidance that discusses this option. If you are looking at the USAF, I recommend calling AFIT's healthcare professionals department to also discuss.

Regarding specialty choice, I also began medical school thinking pediatrics was for me. Two weeks of well baby checks and I knew this was not my specialty. The point is that you really don't know what you want to do until you get to your clinical rotations. HPSP is a great option for most people to pay for medical school, but if you think there is any chance you will want to do a less common specialty like radiation oncology and absolutely do not want to do the GMO route, then HPSP should not be an option.

There is also the FAP route that you can sign up for after matching into residency if a competitive GME program is what you are really seeking. Lots to think about...

In other words, when is the contract completely binding and how does the pay back work?

The contract is binding the moment you start accepting money. That means that you are usually stuck with HPSP within the first week of starting medical school. There is simply no getting out unless you develop some debilitating medical condition that would prevent you from doing your job. As far as how does payback work: there are lots of threads on the subject.

The contract is binding the moment you start accepting money. That means that you are usually stuck with HPSP within the first week of starting medical school. There is simply no getting out unless you develop some debilitating medical condition that would prevent you from doing your job. As far as how does payback work: there are lots of threads on the subject.
i meant payback if you got out of it (i.e would you return the money )

thanks for the info

No, you cannot return the money. There may have been a few stories on this board where physicians in the past have been able to buy their way out of the contract, but simply saying, "This job isn't for me. I'm giving the money back," is not going to work. The military has been enforcing contracts longer than you have been breaking them and will definitely get its money's worth out of you.

My question is: HPSP Looks straight forward: 1 year of Med school-1 year of payback as an active duty service. But:

Does residency in the Army count as payback?

How is Payroll as a working Army Physician? Dr pay+Base pay by rank (sounds too good to be true so I don't belive) Or just the officer pay?

Is there a way that they sponsor you through Pre-med and Med also, or I'm better off picking up a loan to take care of pre-med?

You can get college paid for by using either ROTC or the G.I. bill and then use HPSP to pay for medical school. Either way, you will have to spend more time in the military.