HPSP sign on bonus and deployment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GreenGrizzly

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey I'm a first year looking into HPSP, I've done quite a bit of research but was hoping someone could help clarify things.
1. Do any of the branches offer the sign on bonus with only a 3 year year scholarship, with maintaining a 3 year payback?
2. As far as Deployment am I deployed in my specialty or more in general medical role? For example if I specialized in Peds I don't expect to be deployed as a Pediatrician, how would this work?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey I'm a first year looking into HPSP, I've done quite a bit of research but was hoping someone could help clarify things.
1. Do any of the branches offer the sign on bonus with only a 3 year year scholarship, with maintaining a 3 year payback?
2. As far as Deployment am I deployed in my specialty or more in general medical role? For example if I specialized in Peds I don't expect to be deployed as a Pediatrician, how would this work?

1. no idea. but we have a couple helpful recruiter-ish types on the board (@USArmyHPSP @Armyhealth ) who can probably help with this.

2. depends. if you are deployed as your specialty you will do your specialty jobs. those are usually at a combat support hospital or if you are a surgeon a forward surgical team. otherwise you will be a "battalion surgeon" assigned/attached to a combat arms unit. you become a generalist, since to the army we are all doctors. it doesn't matter if you are an adult or peds subspecialty, you can still be tagged for this. it's essentially clinic/urgent care medicine for 80-90%, with 10-20% more acute medical problems or trauma. it is not particularly complex, and a good PA can handle 99% of it. I've deployed in this capacity twice and can fill pages with details, stories, and positives/negatives. but the bottom line is unless you are surgical if you are in a typical field (not pathology, or instance) you will deploy as a pseudo-FP.

--your friendly neighborhood PROFIS x 2 caveman

Reactions: 1 user
1. no idea. but we have a couple helpful recruiter-ish types on the board (@USArmyHPSP @Armyhealth ) who can probably help with this.

2. depends. if you are deployed as your specialty you will do your specialty jobs. those are usually at a combat support hospital or if you are a surgeon a forward surgical team. otherwise you will be a "battalion surgeon" assigned/attached to a combat arms unit. you become a generalist, since to the army we are all doctors. it doesn't matter if you are an adult or peds subspecialty, you can still be tagged for this. it's essentially clinic/urgent care medicine for 80-90%, with 10-20% more acute medical problems or trauma. it is not particularly complex, and a good PA can handle 99% of it. I've deployed in this capacity twice and can fill pages with details, stories, and positives/negatives. but the bottom line is unless you are surgical if you are in a typical field (not pathology, or instance) you will deploy as a pseudo-FP.

--your friendly neighborhood PROFIS x 2 caveman
Bonus equals four year payback regardless of length of scholarship.

Members don't see this ad :)
You likely would never deploy as a pediatrician.

true. the only people I've seen deployed as actual pediatricians was to the CSH in Afghanistan. that N is in the low single digits I imagine compared to hundreds of GMO deployments. unless maybe you count some of the humanitarian stuff that comes up from time to time.

--your friendly neighborhood ibuprofen/rest/profile writing caveman

You likely would never deploy as a pediatrician.

Meaning Pedis just don't deploy, or they deploy with the same frequency as everyone else they just don't practice peds when they're deployed? Is this the same across all services?

Meaning Pedis just don't deploy, or they deploy with the same frequency as everyone else they just don't practice peds when they're deployed? Is this the same across all services?
He means pediatricians generally don't deploy as pediatricians to do pediatrics. They still deploy.

The most notable exceptions are the occasional humanitarian deployments.

The Navy pediatricians must have is different than the Air Force. None of our pediatricians have ever deployed. They can get to O6 without ever leaving the United States. There are occasional humanitarian missions, but these appear to be rare, voluntary, and of short duration.

navy peds = humanitarian missions/USNS Mercy/Comfort stuff
army peds= except for extremely rare circumstances GMO/battalion surgeon (not peds)
air force peds= not even sure if they deploy. I suppose they do, no idea where or in what capacity.

--your friendly neighborhood definitely not doing anything humanitarian caveman