HPSP for Type 1 Diabetic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jshakeandbake

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I am a Type 1 Diabetic and I want to know if that disqualifies me from the HPSP scholarship?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone,
I am a Type 1 Diabetic and I want to know if that disqualifies me from the HPSP scholarship?
Thanks
Per AR 40-501, ch 3-11, you can join if you are managing your A1c by lifestyle modifications alone, which I am guessing you are not (per 2008 guidelines, the policy is being re-written currently but doubt it will change in your favor). Sorry to be the bearer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Chapter three applies to retention. Chapter 2 is what applies here. Specifically, 2-8 which states that DM does not meet the standard. One could try for a waiver, but I would be amazed if you could get one.

-Ed

Reactions: 1 user
You will absolutely not be allowed to commission into the US military. Sorry. You can serve in other ways, including being a GS employee or contractor and being paid better for the same job stateside.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Per AR 40-501, ch 3-11, you can join if you are managing your A1c by lifestyle modifications alone, which I am guessing you are not (per 2008 guidelines, the policy is being re-written currently but doubt it will change in your favor). Sorry to be the bearer.
This is unfortunate and yes I take insulin injections daily so it isn't via lifestyle modifications. What is the policy being re-written to?

You can't deploy to a place without refrigeration without dying. So if you join, that means someone else gets to go in your place. It's not personal.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, nondeployables shouldn't (and I'm assuming usually aren't) be able to commission