HPSP Army Class of 2017 - Assignment Locations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

go_dental882

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Based on the timeline for announcements sent last fall with the location survey wishlist form, it would appear that the Army's HPSP Class of 2017 assignment locations will be announced between March 15- April 15.

Has anyone heard anything yet about where they will be stationed this year? I know AEGD folks have already been informed of their assignments.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Based on the timeline for announcements sent last fall with the location survey wishlist form, it would appear that the Army's HPSP Class of 2017 assignment locations will be announced between March 15- April 15.

Has anyone heard anything yet about where they will be stationed this year? I know AEGD folks have already been informed of their assignments.

Thanks!

from what i've heard from the higher ups via conversation: expect to be placed at larger bases, i.e. fort hood, bragg, bliss. bases like JBLM, hawaii, germany are out of reach for us

Reactions: 1 user
from what i've heard from the higher ups via conversation: expect to be placed at larger bases, i.e. fort hood, bragg, bliss. bases like JBLM, hawaii, germany are out of reach for us

I wouldnt agree with this. There were certain posts and bases that definitely needed more chairs this year than others. I think hawaii had a few open, lewis had far greater open chairs than did Ft. Campbell or Sam Houston (0 this year). As long as you worked with the MAJ in charge of assignments you should be fine. For the 50+ of us, the chances of getting 12 or so slot for the "nicer" places is tougher. But, honestly, the bigger ones aren't all that "bad". You'll be most of your time in clinic regardless.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
how about Germany/Korea/Japan, are those open?

Germany and South Korea were a part of the bases available to incoming HPSP captains this year. Like what was said earlier, there are fewer OCONUS spots available, which means the chances of getting one of those are lower...but still possible.

Germany and South Korea were a part of the bases available to incoming HPSP captains this year. Like what was said earlier, there are fewer OCONUS spots available, which means the chances of getting one of those are lower...but still possible.

Do you know if our odds of being placed at one of these locations increased by doing an AEGD?

These quotes came from ask an Army dentist. I've seen somewhere else where it doesn't necessarily increase your chances. It just depends on the slots that need to be filled.

It's wise to contact hrc and give a compelling reason why you need to be stationed at fort "X". Hpsp new grads usually get the all the left over slots. The docs 3-4 years your senior will have their first picks on what's available during pcs time ~July. Sometimes there are no openings at the base you want to go too. For example this summer there are no slots at fort X but there could be five openings the following summer. Good luck on your perferences but be smart on your selections. You might want to consider opting for an assignment at a smaller base . I would not preference any of the large bases (amalgam line) or ones with basic training (exams all day)

Not true.

HRC tries to mix new grads and people with experience at each location, so you don't have all experienced providers in one place and non-experienced providers in another. In the bigger installations, you will see more new grads, just because of the amount of dentists there.

A smaller installation may allow you to do more complex procedures. However, you may not have the mentorship of the larger installations. For example, we do not have an oral surgeon at Fort Huachuca, the closest one is 4 hrs away at Ft. Bliss. We do have a comprehensive dentist doing all the surgery.

There are brand new grads that go to Hawaii, Lewis, Carson, etc.

Don't game the system, as there isn't a game to be played. Put your top preferences and then just wait.

Does anyone know whether we will hear first by email or phone call? Constantly checking both!

Thanks!

I wouldnt agree with this. There were certain posts and bases that definitely needed more chairs this year than others. I think hawaii had a few open, lewis had far greater open chairs than did Ft. Campbell or Sam Houston (0 this year). As long as you worked with the MAJ in charge of assignments you should be fine. For the 50+ of us, the chances of getting 12 or so slot for the "nicer" places is tougher. But, honestly, the bigger ones aren't all that "bad". You'll be most of your time in clinic regardless. That said, I was told Id be slotted at Bragg due to my requests. Good luck everyone :)

is that really true for JBLM vs. Ft. Campbell? I would've loved to go to JBLM but I think i'm happy with where I'll likely end up.

and Bragg actually isn't bad at all. i can see why people would call it ''fayettenam'', however. i actually didn't mind it too much when i visited. In terms of scope of dentistry, some clinics will have you doing a variety of procedures so that's pretty cool. not to mention the 2 year aegd is right there too

Based on the order update email we got today we'll find out between now and April 3. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 1 users

depends on the location. apparently the number of slots for south korea increased while the slots for europe decreased

Based on the order update email we got today we'll find out between now and April 3. Good luck everyone!

Well, realizing now that the email from the Major was more ambiguous and could really find out anytime between now and April 15th...crossing fingers for sooner rather than later. Has anyone heard from their assignment officer on when they're finalizing the assignment slate/if it has already been finalized?

Again, good luck everyone.

Last edited:
I'm losing my patience. Last year they found out in March and orders went out early May. It sounded like they wanted things to happen sooner this year, with the original email saying that orders will be published NO LATER THAN April 15th. Welcome to the Army I guess.

Last edited:
Well, realizing now that the email from the Major was more ambiguous and could really find out anytime between now and April 15th...crossing fingers for sooner rather than later. Has anyone heard from their assignment officer on when they're finalizing the assignment slate/if it has already been finalized?

Again, good luck everyone.

I think any date at this point is just a guess.

I will be at JBLM, but am also an AEGD-1. Would love to hear from any other SDN users that will be there/are there!
Also, good luck to everyone on finding a cool assignment.

No hyperbole here, I got assigned to literally the absolute last place that I'd want to go. It wasn't on my top 10 it wasn't even on my top 20. I wish I could trade for Alaska. I remember going over my choices with my recruiter, and when he asked why I made the choices I did, after I explained he actually said, jokingly, "Hopefully you don't get Ft. X!" Yeah, I just got Ft. X. Ha. Oh well. But I didn't think Virginia or Kansas would be popular choices. Thought for sure I'd end up in one of those.

Any chance of PCSing to somewhere else in a year or two?

No hyperbole here, I got assigned to literally the absolute last place that I'd want to go. It wasn't on my top 10 it wasn't even on my top 20. I wish I could trade for Alaska. I remember going over my choices with my recruiter, and when he asked why I made the choices I did, after I explained he actually said, jokingly, "Hopefully you don't get Ft. X!" Yeah, I just got Ft. X. Ha. Oh well. But I didn't think Virginia or Kansas would be popular choices. Thought for sure I'd end up in one of those.

Any chance of PCSing to somewhere else in a year or two?
Not unless you get into a residency program. You will remain at the location you got for at least 3-4 years. If your plan is to get out of the Army and not stay in past your initial obligation - you will spend the entire time there (usually 4 years).

Any word on when official orders will be posted? Will we be notified via email, MODS, AKO?

Thanks! Eager to sign up for the next steps, moving, housing, etc.