HPSP Approximate Timeline

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dhy01265

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey members of the SDN,

I am currently applying to dental schools right now for the C/O 22.

I am also interested in applying for the HPSP program.

So I tried reading what they had on the websites for the Army and the Navy, and the most detailed explanation they have regarding the steps are "contact a recruiter." I did contact my local recruiter but they said they will forward my message to a person who knows about the program.

Meanwhile, would somebody who has been through this process be willing to share their general timeline of the events that need to occur?

I've been reading posts from SDN and some say the deadline is July 29th (?), and some say they applied as late as March and received the scholarship to enroll in their schools. It's kinda confusing for a noob like me.

So when is about the right time to start asking recruiters and apply for the 4 year program? On the website it says "you are required to have an acceptance from a school" but wouldn't that be as early as december?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

If you are applying this cycle, you should be talking to a recruiter now for the respective branches you are looking at. It's never too early to talk to them, especially if you have your sights set on the 4 year scholarship. Not sure if you want Air Force but if it is like last year, their deadline may have just passed.

Reactions: 1 user
The process takes a long time so I would start the application as soon as you can. Try to find a recruiting station for health professions recruiters specifically. I had my application complete including MEPS by the time I applied in June. I don't know much about the Air Force and Army timelines but like the earlier poster mentioned the Air Force deadline may have passed already.

As far as the Navy goes, this year their first selection board was in November. If you had a DAT score of 22 AA or higher, you could be selected then without an acceptance to dental school. I wanted to be in for that board, so I made sure my application was done as early as possible since the military is slow with paperwork. Otherwise the December selection board would be the earliest for those with an acceptance to school. As the months go on past November the number of scholarships declines pretty quickly.

Thanks for the replies guys! I guess starting early is the best option. Yeah got an appointment scheduled on August 9th.