HPSP and Mental Health Treatment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
T

TheStranger

I have a bit of a dilemma and couldn't find a good answer after searching through many threads. I am currently accepted to the dentistry Navy HPSP and will commission this summer after graduating.

I decided to start informal counseling through my school's student services without any sort of diagnosis for depression, and I'm considering seeing a psychiatrist as well. When I completed MEPS nine months ago, I truthfully indicated that I had never been diagnosed or treated for any mental health disorders.

Am I at risk of having my scholarship revoked since I haven't commissioned? Do I need to let my recruiter know about all of this? What if I get an official diagnosis or start on medication? Then do I let my recruiter know? This is a unique situation because I understand that during HPSP and active duty you can get treatment, but I haven't commissioned yet and only have a final select letter.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Informal counseling is fine. Diagnosis of a psychiatric or mental health condition by a mental health professional does need to be reported.

Reactions: 1 users
Informal counseling is fine. Diagnosis of a psychiatric or mental health condition by a mental health professional does need to be reported.
Would you think that the scholarship would be revoked if a diagnosis was reported?

Members don't see this ad :)
Would you think that the scholarship would be revoked if a diagnosis was reported?

It wouldn't be revoked if you have already commissioned. However, if you haven't commissioned, there's a high chance that it would be revoked, considering that dental HPSP is super competitive.

I COMPLETELY understand the position that you're in. But I feel that I must stress the point that your well being should take precedence over everything else. It is much more important that you do what you must in order to get better and everything else be damned.

Reactions: 1 users
I COMPLETELY understand the position that you're in. But I feel that I must stress the point that your well being should take precedence over everything else. It is much more important that you do what you must in order to get better and everything else be damned.
My plan is to continue with informal counseling and make some necessary lifestyle changes. If that doesn't help, I'll seek medical treatment.

It is really difficult, because my health is most important, but I don't want to lose everything I worked for and be burdened with my school's debt load. It seems like no one has been in this specific situation before.

My plan is to continue with informal counseling and make some necessary lifestyle changes. If that doesn't help, I'll seek medical treatment.

It is really difficult, because my health is most important, but I don't want to lose everything I worked for and be burdened with my school's debt load. It seems like no one has been in this specific situation before.
I have been in this specific situation :D

You told the truth at MEPS, and that was the right thing to do. The military's attitude is that anything that occurs to you while you are in the service is owned by them. Consider the young Joe who sprained his knee while playing in the Homecoming football game. Nothing was torn, it didn't require surgery, he just rehabbed it for a few weeks and then was okay. Fast forward 9 months to basic, when the knee starts bugging him while ruck marching. He is having some pain, but he drives on. 7 years and 3 deployments later, he's got PFS, tendonitis, and is on his way to knee arthritis. The initial sprain may have been the precipitating event, but it was made worse while in service. The mil knew about the knee sprain, and the condition was made worse while in service. The mil takes responsibility for that, and the same applies to you. If you find your condition worsening, you should absolutely seek help. You can be in treatment and still practice medicine. I can promise you that the Navy will not med board a doctor for depression that is controlled on meds.

I can promise you that the Navy will not med board a doctor for depression that is controlled on meds.
My concern is that they may revoke the scholarship since I haven't commissioned yet. Once commissioned and in school, or on active duty, I understand they won't kick me out for seeking treatment. I just haven't even started yet, and would have to report a diagnosis (if there is one) to my recruiter.

My concern is that they may revoke the scholarship since I haven't commissioned yet. Once commissioned and in school, or on active duty, I understand they won't kick me out for seeking treatment. I just haven't even started yet, and would have to report a diagnosis (if there is one) to my recruiter.
Sure, but you haven't been diagnosed with anything and you told the truth at MEPS. Have you been offered the scholarship yet? Are you just waiting to sign?

Sure, but you haven't been diagnosed with anything and you told the truth at MEPS. Have you been offered the scholarship yet? Are you just waiting to sign?
Yep - no diagnosis and MEPS was truthful. I have a final select letter offering me the scholarship and I'm waiting to commission on a specific day in August.

Yep - no diagnosis and MEPS was truthful. I have a final select letter offering me the scholarship and I'm waiting to commission on a specific day in August.
Well then they know and are still offering.

Focus on getting healthier prior to dental school. If your school has any mental health resources be sure to engage them early. Med school is a long slog and can get a little dark at times. You have to maintain your physical, mental, and spiritual health while you go through it. Best of luck amigo/a.

Well then they know and are still offering.
They do know I was healthy at the time of MEPS and offered, but I don't know whether that offer will change if I receive a diagnosis in the next four months before signing on.

Yes! This!

Do you have to disclose any mental health medication to your recruiter, even if you've been stable for years and on a minimal dosage?