HPM Interviews for 2018-2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Changling

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Please add to the list of places extending interview invitations:

Duke
Emory
NIH
UCSD
UNC-CH
Vanderbilt
Washington Hospital (Georgetown)

...has anyone heard from MUSC or Spartanburg Regional?

Members don't see this ad.

So far I have heard from:
NYU
Columbia
Icahn
Cedar
Emory
Colorado
Vanderbilt
Brown
UCLA
UCSD

Has anyone heard from:
Stanford
UCSF
UW in seattle
MGH?

Updated:

Brown
Cedar
Colorado
Columbia
Duke
Emory
Hopkins
Icahn
MUSC
NIH
NYU
UCLA
UCSD
UNC-CH
Vanderbilt
Spartanburg Regional Health Center
St. Joseph's (Denver)
UW (Seattle)

Members don't see this ad :)
So far I have heard from:
Has anyone heard from:
Stanford
UCSF
UW in seattle
MGH?

I just heard from UW yesterday.
UCSF sent a notice a little while ago that they are reviewing, but I haven't heard anything else.
By 7/31 it was too late to apply for Stanford, so I can't help you there! :laugh:

Current fellow here at BIDMC. Would be happy to answer questions about the experience and the interview trail last year. I travelled to: Cook Co, Northeastern, UofL, UVA, UAB, Duke, UNC, UCSF, BIDMC, VCU, Sloan.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello Everyone,
I am interested in hospice and palliative training. My residency is from a community program and i could not do a hospice/palliative rotation during my residency. I could not do an away elective as well. My profile is as follows - IMG needing visa/community program/3rd yr cat. IM/No posters/1 yr critical care research-post doc
Now, I did apply for Heme-Onc which is my interest but i am not sure if ill get any ivs. so i want to work out this as a backup plan.
My question is -
1) I do not have any LoRs from hospice palliative rotation - Can I use the ones from Heme onc?
2)How useful is this training if i want to apply for heme onc next year
3)What are the prospects if i want to continue working in hospice and palliative care specialty post fellowship, in terms of worklife balance/compensation and opportunities for a j1 waiver job?
4) How competitive is getting into fellowship in HPM? I say that because i havent done a rotation in HPM during residency and my med school is not from USA

I would be glad if you can answer my questions.
Thanks and good luck to all.

Current fellow here at BIDMC. Would be happy to answer questions about the experience and the interview trail last year. I travelled to: Cook Co, Northeastern, UofL, UVA, UAB, Duke, UNC, UCSF, BIDMC, VCU, Sloan.

Thanks! Anything unexpected on the interview trail? All the people I know in HPM are pretty laid back, but it's a small sample size so far...

List so far

CHOP
Children's of Akron
Emory
Hofstra Northwell
Einstein/Jamaica
Maine Medical Center
MGH/Boston Children's
Northwestern
MSKCC
Providence - Alaska
Dupont
Rochester
UPMC
University of Michigan

Updated:

Brown
Cedar
CHOP
Children's of Akron
Colorado
Columbia
Duke
Dupont
Einstein/Jamaica
Emory
Hofstra Northwell
Hopkins
Icahn School of Medicine/Mt. Sinai
Maine Medical Center
Mayo Clinic Rochester
MGH/Boston Children's
MSKCC
MUSC
Northwestern
NIH
NYU
Ohio State
Providence - Alaska
St. Joseph's (Denver)
University of Chicago
UCLA
UCSD
University of Michigan
University of Minnesota
UNC-CH
UPMC
University of Rochester
UW (Seattle)
Vanderbilt

Updated

Brown
Cedar
CHOP
Children's of Akron
Colorado
Columbia
Duke
Dupont
Einstein/Jamaica
Emory
Hofstra Northwell
Hopkins
Icahn School of Medicine/Mt. Sinai
Maine Medical Center
Mayo Clinic Rochester
MGH/Boston Children's
MSKCC
MUSC
Northwestern
NIH
NYU
Ohio State
Providence - Alaska
St. Joseph's (Denver)
University of Chicago
UCLA
UCSD
UCSF* new one today
University of Michigan
University of Minnesota
UNC-CH
UPMC
University of Rochester
UW (Seattle)
Vanderbilt

I got offered an interview at UCLA but have not gotten a date yet and it has been some time, anyone else in this situation?

Just out of curiosity, is anyone else here applying pediatric track? Was curious because had gotten emails on interest from DC Children's and Cincinnati but no official interview invites so trying to figure out if interviews are done or if some programs are still running behind.

Nevada offered me an interview earlier in the week. Good luck, everyone!

Thanks! Anything unexpected on the interview trail? All the people I know in HPM are pretty laid back, but it's a small sample size so far...
Nah, I cant remember any out of place questions. It's a small community you'll be joining and I think every where is pretty mindful of that. My advice would be to go and enjoy the day!

Hey all!

From what I can tell the number of applicants has gone up this year. How many interviews are you planning on going on? I am debating about ten. Is that excessive?
Those who have heard from Harvard, was it the adult program or paediatrics? I am still waiting to hear from the adult program.

Last edited:
Just heard from Cincinnati Children's yesterday so there's still hope for late interviews! Best of luck to everyone!

Hey all!

From what I can tell the number of applicants has gone up this year. How many interviews are you planning on going on? I am debating about ten. Is that excessive?
Those who have heard from Harvard, was it the adult program or paediatrics? I am still waiting to hear from the adult program.
I overapplied and went on too many interviews. I visited 11 programs, in hindsight 7 would have been a good selection. It was difficult for me because I had zero idea where I wanted to be so had no geographic barriers.

I think it has been getting more competitive, but there are so many excellent programs across the country. Apply to places because you'd really like to go there/know the city...not because it's a reach/obtainable program/safety.

Has anyone interviewed with Columbia and know what time and where we have to be on the interview date? I haven't received any more information about the interview date as of yet.

Has anyone interviewed with Columbia and know what time and where we have to be on the interview date? I haven't received any more information about the interview date as of yet.
If you look at the original invite, they have the address. Nothing regarding time. I have yet to hear more as well.

Last edited:
Does anyone know how old the Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center program is? I can't find it on the website.

Does anyone know how old the Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center program is? I can't find it on the website.
Currently in its first year, expanding this coming year to two fellows and then growing to four down the road. The fellowship plan has been in the works for 7 years or so I believe--a lot of legwork to get there!