How's my OAT score?

rlrivera

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Just got my scores back and I'm pretty happy with the results considering how my practice tests were going. I want to know what my chances are though!
QR:360
RC: 360
Biology: 360
GC: 320
OC: 340
Physics: 290
TS: 330 and AA:340 (84th percentile)

Physics kinda sucked but overall happy. I'm applying early admissions to SCCO in a few days with a 3.45 GPA. Let me know what you guys think!

Members don't see this ad.

Your scores are good but I'm a little confused on when you are applying. Are you applying for this cycle or the next cycle?

Oh ok awesome just making sure. The 290 might be of small concern but I doubt it will hold you back. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you tell us what your study schedule was like ? :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I actually decided to take the OAT a lot earlier than I originally thought because I wanted to apply early decision. So I ended up with only 2 months to study! I spend my entire winter break studying, for on average 3-4 hours a day (some days more than others and some not at all (oops)), and then I continually studied during school in whatever free time I had. I bought the Kaplan book and made sure to read through everything I was fuzzy on, as well as teaching myself all of the anatomy and physiology section (haven't taken it yet). I actually did SIGNIFICANTLY better on the real test than the kaplan tests...i was getting at best 310 AA, with my highest section about 340. I kind of choked on the physics portion of the real thing though...I didn't study equations as much as I should have, and let that get to my head during the real test. I know my scores are definitely not the highest you can find on here, but I was extremely happy with them given how little time I had and how my practice tests were going. Thanks for asking :)

I'm applying early decision for entry into fall 2018! The deadline is March 15th.

Can I ask where you found this information? I thought early admissions for entry into Fall 18 counted as the "rolling admissions", and that doesn't begin until July 1 for SCCO. Is there something that I'm missing?

I worked with an OD that graduated from SCCO. From what he told me is that they have an unofficial rule about any OAT scores that are below 300, that they will put your application on the side or wait list it. Of course it is not for certain and that is not said to discourage you at all, but please keep us updated on what happens! SCCO is my top choice right now and I wish all goes well for you!

Can I ask where you found this information? I thought early admissions for entry into Fall 18 counted as the "rolling admissions", and that doesn't begin until July 1 for SCCO. Is there something that I'm missing?
I've been in contact with Eryn Kraning at SCCO and even met with her in person to discussed Early Admissions. She told me to apply during the regular rolling admissions for the normal "2017" class, but make sure to specify in my app and to email a letter stating my intent for early decision. I'll have to admit though that the website is a but confusing regarding this.

I worked with an OD that graduated from SCCO. From what he told me is that they have an unofficial rule about any OAT scores that are below 300, that they will put your application on the side or wait list it. Of course it is not for certain and that is not said to discourage you at all, but please keep us updated on what happens! SCCO is my top choice right now and I wish all goes well for you!
I really hope not. It's so close!! Thanks for the feedback though.

Update: Offered an interview at SCCO :)

Reactions: 1 users
I actually decided to take the OAT a lot earlier than I originally thought because I wanted to apply early decision. So I ended up with only 2 months to study! I spend my entire winter break studying, for on average 3-4 hours a day (some days more than others and some not at all (oops)), and then I continually studied during school in whatever free time I had. I bought the Kaplan book and made sure to read through everything I was fuzzy on, as well as teaching myself all of the anatomy and physiology section (haven't taken it yet). I actually did SIGNIFICANTLY better on the real test than the kaplan tests...i was getting at best 310 AA, with my highest section about 340. I kind of choked on the physics portion of the real thing though...I didn't study equations as much as I should have, and let that get to my head during the real test. I know my scores are definitely not the highest you can find on here, but I was extremely happy with them given how little time I had and how my practice tests were going. Thanks for asking :)

Those are awesome scores! I am also using Kaplan to study. Do you have any advice for physics? Also, I have heard that physics and ochem are easier on the real oat than with kaplan, but what about Bio, and RC?

Those are awesome scores! I am also using Kaplan to study. Do you have any advice for physics? Also, I have heard that physics and ochem are easier on the real oat than with kaplan, but what about Bio, and RC?
For physics, I recommend memorizing as many formulas as you can. That was my downfall; I definitely didn't put in the time for physics that I should have. I kind of blanked on the actual test and that really impacted my score! And practice practice practice problems. There are only SO many types of questions you'll get, so if theres one that's familiar it really helps. I did significantly better in almost all sections (aside from physics) on the real test than the practice ones. When I was taking the test, I never thought to myself that they were a lot "easier". Maybe a little easier for Gen Chem and O chem, but I wouldn't say significantly. I would study as hard as you can and EXPECT the Kaplan level of difficulty, and maybe be pleasantly surprised for the real thing (;.