How?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

timberwolf89

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dr. Evan Antin is a small animal exotic wildlife vet.

My question is how do I become a small animal exotic wildlife vet. Like i know how to become a regular small annimal vet, just go to vet school, but with exotic and wildlife vets do you have to like go to EVEN MORE school because vet school is already 6-8 years and i dont ant to spend %20 of my life in school ya know if i would have to do more schooling.

Members don't see this ad.

If you don't want to do more than 8 years of schooling/training, stay far away from the wildlife/exotic career haha.

If you want to do small exotic pets you can always see those as part of being a small animal veterinarian with no need to do additional internships/a residency.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm pretty sure that this was already discussed in your other thread: How do I become an all animal vet?

But, to reiterate, if you want to do zoo or wildlife, you'll need to do 2-4 years of undergrad doing vet school pre-reqs (which can vary slightly depending on the school) + 4 years DVM +/- 1+ years of post-DVM internship +/- 3-4 years residency, especially if you're wanting to work somewhere AZA accredited or at large zoos. So that is potentially 10+ years of training, and achieveing each of these steps is competitive to some degree, so you'll want to make sure that you have lots of good experience and connections with those in the specialty.

Like BBC mentioned, though, if you simply want to see small exotics in regular small animal GP, then that doesn't require any additional schooling/training following vet school (though it is available).

ETA: Actually, if I remember correctly, you're really young, OP. I honestly wouldn't even begin to fret too much over this until you're at least partway through high school. At that point, most clinics/zoos/rehab facilities will likely be more willing to allow you to shadow or volunteer for experience and see what the work is actually like so that you can make an informed decision as to if it is truly something that you want to pursue. Don't waste your youth worrying about future career plans when they could very well change multiple times between now and when you apply for post-secondary education.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
but with exotic and wildlife vets do you have to like go to EVEN MORE school because vet school is already 6-8 years and i dont ant to spend %20 of my life in school ya know if i would have to do more schooling.

Tough titties.

If that's what you want, get comfy with it.

ETA: Actually, if I remember correctly, you're really young, OP. I honestly wouldn't even begin to fret too much over this until you're at least partway through high school. At that point, most clinics/zoos/rehab facilities will likely be more willing to allow you to shadow or volunteer for experience and see what the work is actually like so that you can make an informed decision as to if it is truly something that you want to pursue. Don't waste your youth worrying about future career plans when they could very well change multiple times between now and when you apply for post-secondary education.

Well said.

Reactions: 5 users
If you want to be as successful as Dr. Antin:

Step 1 - be hot
Step 2 - no, like really really hot
Step 3 - oh, and also ripped AF
Step 4 - like, go to vet school and stuff
Step 5 - but no, seriously, that tumblr and insta... lots of hot photos with pets

I'm just saying - I don't question if he's a good vet (I don't know, but I assume he is)... but his overwhelming success has like 90% to do with his online personality and his fan following, which has a little to do with him being a vet and a lot to do with his physical appearance and personality.

Juuuuust pointing out that life as an exotic animal veterinarian is generally a lot less exciting overall. Nothing wrong with idolizing him a bit, but be aware of the celebrity element there.

Reactions: 14 users

Step 1 - be hot
Step 5 - but no, seriously, that tumblr and insta... lots of hot photos with pets

I'm just saying - I don't question if he's a good vet (I don't know, but I assume he is)... but his overwhelming success has like 90% to do with his online personality and his fan following, which has a little to do with him being a vet and a lot to do with his physical appearance and personality.

Juuuuust pointing out that life as an exotic animal veterinarian is generally a lot less exciting overall. Nothing wrong with idolizing him a bit, but be aware of the celebrity element there.
TT posts are always my favorite. :laugh:

Step 1 - be hot

I have the same problem as him. People see my shiny bald head... my dad bod... and they just lose all perspective and start swooning.

It's just a cross I bear.

Reactions: 9 users
I have the same problem as him. People see my shiny bald head... my dad bod... and they just lose all perspective and start swooning.

It's just a cross I bear.

Had-A-Dad-Bod-600x722.png

Reactions: 6 users