This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

deleted633618

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Easiest answer IMO: "I want to begin specializing in the foot and ankle right away, not wait another 4 years."

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Easiest answer IMO: "I want to begin specializing in the foot and ankle right away, not wait another 4 years."

1) Know for sure what I'm getting into (ortho residencies are hard to get)
2) Be in expert at one part of the body (ortho residents only see a finite foot and ankle cases and spend a limited time with the foot and ankle)
3) Become a foot and ankle surgeon in 7 years as opposed to foot ortho

I was asked something similar at an interview. The question went something like, "Why do you want to do Podiatry rather than go into a more traditional medical school?"

I answered that I had a good idea of what I was interested in (and discussed those things based on my experiences shadowing and researching) and liked that I knew what I was getting into with Podiatry rather than MD/DO, where your future is far less certain. He seemed satisfied with that answer and I was later accepted to that school.

Reactions: 2 users
I was asked something similar at an interview. The question went something like, "Why do you want to do Podiatry rather than go into a more traditional medical school?"

I answered that I had a good idea of what I was interested in (and discussed those things based on my experiences shadowing and researching) and liked that I knew what I was getting into with Podiatry rather than MD/DO, where your future is far less certain. He seemed satisfied with that answer and I was later accepted to that school.
This is probably the best response.

I can mirror this answer. My MCAT was competitive with allopathic medical school applicants, however GPA left much to be desired and thus was not getting even secondaries. Then APMA sends me a CD in the mail telling me what podiatry was all about. I've seen a podiatrist before for my flat foot problems but didn't know it was a separate system. I was sold and didn't want to wait another year to try for allopathic med school. When I interviewed with pod school and they asked me this question indirectly, I said that I wanted to work with my hands and commit to a specialty right away rather than the uncertainty of having to compete for a residency in a hands-on specialty.

Reactions: 1 user
I was asked that and just said I want a family, meaning I want to be done with residency and school at 28 or 29. I said I also didn't see a difference with being board certified for different surgeries...

Status
Not open for further replies.