How unrealistic am I being?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wantnoscrub

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Repeated M2
Step I: 203
- just had an obviously tough time during first 2 years. Really had problems seeing the application of what we were learning in the classroom to patient care
Step II: 240
All Ps during 3rd year
Believe I'll have solid LORs and people willing to make phone calls for me to let PDs know I'm not a total dud.

Is it even worth it to apply to surgery prelim years or should I just be thankful that I got through med school and apply to family?

If I decide to apply to prelim years what are my chances of matching family after PGY-1 if I don't get a PGY-2 spot or match surgery?

Members don't see this ad.

Don't apply prelim. Also don't apply to surgery categorical.

Repeated M2
Step I: 203
- just had an obviously tough time during first 2 years. Really had problems seeing the application of what we were learning in the classroom to patient care
Step II: 240
All Ps during 3rd year
Believe I'll have solid LORs and people willing to make phone calls for me to let PDs know I'm not a total dud.

Is it even worth it to apply to surgery prelim years or should I just be thankful that I got through med school and apply to family?

If I decide to apply to prelim years what are my chances of matching family after PGY-1 if I don't get a PGY-2 spot or match surgery?

How bad do you want to become a surgeon? What alternative careers are you willing to consider? What's your social situation like ( eg married with kids and dragging them through multiple application cycles vs single with no responsibilities).

You have an uphill battle for general surgery. Talk to your school's PD and see what they say. Ultimately you need one program to take a chance on you.

Regarding prelim. It makes no sense to apply prelim and not try categorical. You should apply to both.

Backup specialty consideration?

If you really want to become a surgeon, and don't have a lot of personal reasons holding you back, you can apply. You should realize that a lot of prelims are dead ends. I don't think it's impossible though. Again, your local PD should have a better idea of your chances.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)