How to work as a surgeon at a clinic without residency training in the US

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bestpacifist

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, everyone. Thank you for reading my thread.

I'm an aesthetic plastic surgeon working in Tokyo in Japan. I belong to a huge company that has more than 50 aesthetic clinics and some hospitals in Japan and the company is going to expand to the US. The company is first going to open a clinic in Beverly Hills in California. And I will need to work as a surgeon at the clinic in Beverly Hills (most likely in other states too in the future when my company opens clinics in other states).
I've passed USMLE until step3 but haven't done any residency. In most states, 1 to 3 year-accredited residency training is required (2 years in CA) but I would like to start working without residency training, if possible. I don't have high scores of USMLE and I'm in 7th year from graduation, so it is almost impossible to get a surgery residency.

I've heard it's possible to work as an "assistant physician" under supervision by a collaborator (attending) in Missouri (and NY?).
I think there should be some ways and there must have been some doctors like me before.

In summary, my questions are:

1. Is there any way to get a license and work as a surgeon at the clinic in CA or other states without residency training.
  2. If I do a residency of other speciality (e.g. Family Medicine) for only 1 to 2 years, can I get a license?
  3. I would like to know more about NY's law.

I would very much appreciate if you gave me advice. Any advice or information is appreciated.
Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Seems like a question better answered by the legislative boards and lawyers.

Reactions: 1 users