How to study for ADAT?/ADAT experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RealQuestions

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am preparing for the ADAT exam and was curious as to how other people are preparing for this examination? Has anyone taken the exam yet and can shed their experiences or provide suggestions on what resources you may think is most useful during the preparation of this exam? Any feedback is appreciated!! Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Screen Shot 2016-10-12 at 12.10.57 PM.png

Hey! I'm also taking the ADAT this cycle and signed up for this new program, ADATknockout.com, that is specifically designed for the ADAT. It seems really promising as it is written by people who have firsthand experience with the exam. Probably our best bet for now!

Members don't see this ad :)
I used the app 'ADAT hero' for the research section. It was worth the money I thought since it was only like $20 and i'm weak in research. Good luck everyone.

hi everyone.

So I received my finalized ADAT score 2 days ago and I ended up doing much better than I thought. I wanted to give you guys an idea of what I did in order to help everyone with this crazy exam. The reality is, however, you must know how much studying you need and everyone has an alternate strategy for success. Also, we all start at a difference in baseline knowledge and you must know where you are the weakest in order to allocate your studying wisely. I spent 1.5 months studying for this exam. I will break this down by ADAT section.

ADAT overall: 680 (99th percentile). Highest score achieved this round: 740 overall (3 students achieved over 700, 3 students achieved 680, Average was roughly 505~)

Biomedical (scored 710 or 99th percentile): ADAT Knockout supplemented with old notes/textbooks. ADAT knockout was great and they actually explain each answer very well. However, If I had no clue on a question, I would search the subject and read up a little on topic in order to cover my bases. But as a starting point, I believe this is 100 % worth getting.

Clinical (scored 640 or 96th percentile): I had just completed part II of boards so I was relatively fresh here (however, it was my weakest section). Again, I thought ADAT knockout was a great source for this section as well. I 100 % suggest taking NBDE part II prior to the ADAT in order to kill 2 birds with 1 stone. Also, you should still supplement with notes and textbooks.

Evidence/Research (scored 680 or 98th percentile): Used ADAT knockout and ADAT hero as primary sources. Honestly, ADAT knockout really saved my buns here. ADAT hero was ok I guess, but knockout was my saving grace. I supplemented this with some of my old notes but we really didn't focus too much on this topic at my dental school.

So in summary:
Get ADAT knockout - useful for all sections
ADAT hero - optional (this is a phone app btw)
Take it close to NBDE part II for clinical section (preferably take NBDE II first and then give yourself time to strengthen other areas of ADAT)
Always supplement with notes and texts

Good luck everyone!

hi everyone.

So I received my finalized ADAT score 2 days ago and I ended up doing much better than I thought. I wanted to give you guys an idea of what I did in order to help everyone with this crazy exam. The reality is, however, you must know how much studying you need and everyone has an alternate strategy for success. Also, we all start at a difference in baseline knowledge and you must know where you are the weakest in order to allocate your studying wisely. I spent 1.5 months studying for this exam. I will break this down by ADAT section.

ADAT overall: 680 (99th percentile). Highest score achieved this round: 740 overall (3 students achieved over 700, 3 students achieved 680, Average was roughly 505~)

Biomedical (scored 710 or 99th percentile): ADAT Knockout supplemented with old notes/textbooks. ADAT knockout was great and they actually explain each answer very well. However, If I had no clue on a question, I would search the subject and read up a little on topic in order to cover my bases. But as a starting point, I believe this is 100 % worth getting.

Clinical (scored 640 or 96th percentile): I had just completed part II of boards so I was relatively fresh here (however, it was my weakest section). Again, I thought ADAT knockout was a great source for this section as well. I 100 % suggest taking NBDE part II prior to the ADAT in order to kill 2 birds with 1 stone. Also, you should still supplement with notes and textbooks.

Evidence/Research (scored 680 or 98th percentile): Used ADAT knockout and ADAT hero as primary sources. Honestly, ADAT knockout really saved my buns here. ADAT hero was ok I guess, but knockout was my saving grace. I supplemented this with some of my old notes but we really didn't focus too much on this topic at my dental school.

So in summary:
Get ADAT knockout - useful for all sections
ADAT hero - optional (this is a phone app btw)
Take it close to NBDE part II for clinical section (preferably take NBDE II first and then give yourself time to strengthen other areas of ADAT)
Always supplement with notes and texts

Good luck everyone!
How long before applying should we take this exam, I know they give you a preliminary result right away but I can't find any information saying if the test is only given during a specific time of the year or if it has to be taken "x" amount of time before applying.

Thank you!