How to study for ABFM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

irvinedawg

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am trying to gather study material for the ABFM exam. I saw AAFP has a lot materials to buy and people have recommended UW world. I have paper version of ITEs from residency, nothing current. Any feedback would be appreciated.

TIA

Members don't see this ad.

If just finishing residency then the self study from the AAFP is more than sufficient. This along with questions on the AAFP website and the app should be enough.

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually, if you're just out of residency, do as many previous ITEs as you can get your hands on -- the more recent the better. I think the ABFM posts the ones from the most recent 3 years or so. Having recently passed fresh out of residency, I can tell you I did 3 exams and wish I had done more --- obviously, answer the question, check your answer and read the explanations -- you'll begin to see patterns of thought and question patterns by about halfway through the 3rd exam -- and this is from someone who was a monumental underperformer on ITEs --I just never studied for them, especially when I heard one of the new attendings screw up and state that we shouldn't have to have any "special" study time for them if we were being taught properly in residency --- he was quickly beaten into submission by the other attendings since that sort of talk stopped within a month of him coming to the program.....

Thank you guys. Do you recommend any other question banks also? I have started the ITE as they are helpful. I appreciate all the feedback.

Thank you guys. Do you recommend any other question banks also? I have started the ITE as they are helpful. I appreciate all the feedback.
I used Rosh Review and liked it a lot. Not too expensive, good explanations.

Reactions: 1 user
I did all the AAFP self study questions. They break them up into systems which as JustPlainBill stated helps to pick out the patterns. There is also a mobile app....ABFM Exam Prep, which has these questions in mobile form. It creates random 10 question tests with explanations. I wouldn't worry about spending money or worry about different sources they all cover the same material. The ITEs are good but get a bit cumbersome due to the length. Also be sure to brush up on the MSK topics because this was a significant portion (seemed like 20+%) of my 2016 board exam.

I did all the AAFP self study questions. They break them up into systems which as JustPlainBill stated helps to pick out the patterns. There is also a mobile app....ABFM Exam Prep, which has these questions in mobile form. It creates random 10 question tests with explanations. I wouldn't worry about spending money or worry about different sources they all cover the same material. The ITEs are good but get a bit cumbersome due to the length. Also be sure to brush up on the MSK topics because this was a significant portion (seemed like 20+%) of my 2016 board exam.

Yes got that app and doing it now. Very helpful. I will also look into Rosh Review. Thank you for your help.

For whatever reason, my exam was heavy on adverse effects to mediations, both common ones and unusual.

Definitely exhaust the resources on the aafp site. It's all I really did when it took it out of residency and did fine.

For whatever reason, my exam was heavy on adverse effects to mediations, both common ones and unusual.

Definitely exhaust the resources on the aafp site. It's all I really did when it took it out of residency and did fine.

Thank you. I didn't renew my membership but there is a board review course and CME. Do you recommend anything in specific?

Actually, if you're just out of residency, do as many previous ITEs as you can get your hands on -- the more recent the better. I think the ABFM posts the ones from the most recent 3 years or so. Having recently passed fresh out of residency, I can tell you I did 3 exams and wish I had done more --- obviously, answer the question, check your answer and read the explanations -- you'll begin to see patterns of thought and question patterns by about halfway through the 3rd exam -- and this is from someone who was a monumental underperformer on ITEs --I just never studied for them, especially when I heard one of the new attendings screw up and state that we shouldn't have to have any "special" study time for them if we were being taught properly in residency --- he was quickly beaten into submission by the other attendings since that sort of talk stopped within a month of him coming to the program.....
I didn't think the ITEs were representative of this year's board exam at all. 2015, 2014 and 2013 were very similar but I don't think 2016's ABFM exam mimicked this at all.

Hi Guys,

I am trying to gather study material for the ABFM exam. I saw AAFP has a lot materials to buy and people have recommended UW world. I have paper version of ITEs from residency, nothing current. Any feedback would be appreciated.

TIA
I studied for the spring 2017 boards using the official abfm app (very convenient and super helpful), old intraining exams 2014, 2015 and 2016,and the aafp flash drive board review questions and reference material . For additional study reference material i used the family medicine review book by wilbur. I think the app questions and intraining material and flash drive tests were the most helpful. I did really well and there was a generous time allotment for the exam.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Guys,

TIA
I've studied from the previous available ITEs, the AAFP self study questions, the ABFM app, and from the first aid Family Medicine boards. Did very well

Hey Guys. You guys have mentioned studying previous ITEs. How do I access these? Thanks

I am doing 2015/2016/2017/2018 ITE questions. Do these same questions come in Board exam or kinda similar but not the same from ITE's?

Guys there are two apps i see, ABFM exam prep and ABFM CSKA, which one is to download for Board questions preparation like suggested here? Pls answer urgently, if possible. Thank You

I used the abfm app and uworld. I finished the test very early and scored very well. First time board exam taker, I took it during April. I also listened to the afp podcasts that exist and that was helpful as well to reinforce topics.

What podcasts? The live lectures they give when you buy their Board review course or something else?

Also AAFP has (for 34 Credits, Members only- Board Review questions, self study online). Is that useful/helpful to go through, as i do not intend to buy their Board review course, if absolutely not indicated.......

I did Boards Vitals FM Review Questions and the ITE Exams from 2015-2017 as my review. Took it Saturday, found out I passed today.

What podcasts? The live lectures they give when you buy their Board review course or something else?

Also AAFP has (for 34 Credits, Members only- Board Review questions, self study online). Is that useful/helpful to go through, as i do not intend to buy their Board review course, if absolutely not indicated.......

The podcasts are on the App Store (iPhone) under afp podcast. I found them helpful. I didn’t do any of the AAFP purchasable things. I looked through some of my friends things and knew I wouldn’t actually use it.

If you have kept up with readng throughout residency you shouldn't need to study all that much. If you haven’t kept up then best of luck. Where board review and studying comes in is when you take your 10 year exam because you haven’t managed pitocin in a decade.