How to spend the summer before starting application??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MegaRave214

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My journey to applying to pharmacy school has been a long one. As a military spouse many things get in the way; I move frequently, which means changing schools, missed employment opportunities because not many people want to hire a tech that will not be there forever, etc.

This past Spring semester I finished all of the pre-reqs needed for the one school I want to apply to and pretty much one of the only ones I can apply to. There is another school I can apply to but I need one more class, physics. I cannot take another class until I know whether or not my husband and I will be pcsing yet again.

I currently do not have a job, but I have been a certified pharm tech for 5 years. Not being able to say whether or not I will be living where I do for an extended amount of time makes it difficult to job hunt, even if there are openings.

I have not worked in almost three years; was a full time student the whole time and moved twice. I have one club I was a part of at my last school, a small amount of volunteering from the club experience, an internship as a tech at a compounding pharmacy, and work experience at a retail/privately-owned/hospital pharmacy.

I am currently planning on attending a five-series professional development seminar during the summer months which warrants a certificate if all five seminars are attended; which I may or may not be able to attend dependent upon my husband's job. I will be spending the summer months preparing to take the PCAT in September, until I get word on whether or not I will be moving then I will hopefully get a job in a pharmacy wherever my husband is stationed at next.

I would appreciate any advice on how to add more to my application. What kinds of applicable opportunities do others shoot for?

Thanks so much

Members don't see this ad.

To be honest I am a little lost in what is the problem? Besides that you need to study for pcat and take physics what is the problem?

No problem. I was just curious in how people spend their time adding more things to their application when not in school or working. For instance volunteering, shadowing, etc. I am currently studying for the PCAT and I do intend on taking physics when I am able.

Members don't see this ad :)
I understand your struggle since I'm a military spouse too. We were both in college and I decided to take less classes and work full time so he can get commissioning on time. I was so lost and didn't know what to do when he finished school and moved but then I decided not to move with him for now so I can finish my degree. I set my eyes on pharmacy when I started college but I thought it would be impossible to be a military spouse and attend pharmacy school at the same time. But while looking for a new major to change (again) this summer, I saw the Pharm.D program-Distance Pathway which means I can take classes online, I didn't know it was a thing and I was so excited to know about it. I'm now setting my goal to Pharmacy school, I've just got some PCAT and PTCB books and I'm trying to find a Pharmacy tech job to gain some experience, also I have to make some A next semester to improve my GPA. Hopefully I'll get accepted next Fall and I'll be able to move with him then. Missing my hubby but I have to chase my dream too. You can take a look at the Distance Pathway program at Creighton University, I heard that their program is pretty military friendly. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I'm a traditional student (3+4) and didn't nearly have the same amount of experiences as you do. I did like 5 months volunteering at a pharmacy and 2 years doing clinical research (research is a big deal at my school). I also took a month in the summer to study for the PCAT and did fine, so you should be well off.

Don't worry. There's not much you need to add to your application except your grade performance. If your GPA is 3.0+, you're pretty solid for a decent school. Aim for the average at the school you want to attend. Personally, I was a pretty average applicant for UNC (3.49 GPA and a 89 PCAT) in both academics and experience, but I got in nonetheless. I think your years of being a pharm tech and your dedication will make you shine above other students. Good luck in your endeavors.

Reactions: 1 user