How to shadow doctor a second time after FAINTING during 1st session?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BubbleT

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think you're over complicating things. Just ask if you can shadow her again, and make sure you eat a nice breakfast beforehand next time so you don't faint again.

Also, I love your username. Rose milk tea with those bubble things is probably my favorite drink.

Reactions: 1 user
the doctor probably hasn't given you a second thought after that incident. Trust me, you are not as important as you think you are (I mean this in a nice way). You're just being self-conscious. If you want to shadow more, just go up to her and ask her if you can do it another day. I bet she'll be completely fine with it. She's not going to go out of her way again to get you to shadow her though, unless she's REALLY nice and considerate. I'd go for it. Initiating shadowing experiences can be difficult. I remember having to cold-call tons of random doctor's offices to find someone willing to have me.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This doesn't sound like something to be embarrassed about. She's a doctor and she knows these things happen.

"Hey Dr. Awesome, I'm a little embarrassed about that whole fainting thing! It was nothing to worry about - the ER said it was due to fatigue. If you have the time, I'd really appreciate the chance to shadow you again now that I'm rested up. Please let me know if you wouldn't mind hosting me again."

Also, I'm not sure if "blood bank" in your original post means that you donated blood? If so, don't do this right before shadowing - it may help you to not faint. I get dizzy after getting any sort of venipuncture :3

You should just ask again to shadow, but try to figure out if there are any preventable triggers for you of your fainting, because the amount of activity you've described is not that much when you get to be a med student on a long rotation.

So basically I started volunteering in a inpatient ward last month. After volunteering for several times, one of the friendly attendings invited me to follow her during rounds. Yet, an hour into the session, I felt light-headed and sweaty. I tried sitting down on a chair hoping to relieve my symptoms but seconds later, everything turned dark and I was laying on the ground. I was sent to the ER and the docs there told me it may have been due to fatigue. I had been doing errands all morning (going to the pharmacy, blood bank, etc) and standing for more than an hour on rounds so that may have been why I fainted...

Long story short, it has been 4 weeks since that vasovagal episode happened. Yet, the attending never invited me on rounds again. I realize that I should be more proactive but I always feel kinda awkward when I see her. I usually smile and try to look "busy" with my tasks. What should I do? I get along with the nurses and techs really well but I feel that it is harder for me to approach doctors. I'm also generally a shy and quiet person. Will the doctor think that I'm uninterested since I have not asked her to shadow a second time?! Also, how do I approach her for a second shadowing session?

Thanks in advance.
I'd just ask her to shadow again. I fainted my first day shadowing in an OR, caused a small fuss, embarrassed myself and yeah. I showed up either the next day or a few days later to shadow again and no one said anything about that first day. These things happen, I'd just go back and try to shadow again if you really want to.
If anything, it might show you're persistent and really want to do this, that you were willing to try again despite fainting.

Just my personal view, you know what's best.

Thanks for all the advice guys! I guess I was just stressing about it a lil too much hehe. I'll try asking the doc during my shift tomorrow when she's not too busy :shy:

I passed out on rounds and was super embarrassed. I resolved to not worry about it too much though, and I really enjoyed the rest of my experience with the team. Have you ever checked your blood glucose? That was the culprit for me ;)

I'd just ask her to shadow again. I fainted my first day shadowing in an OR, caused a small fuss, embarrassed myself and yeah. I showed up either the next day or a few days later to shadow again and no one said anything about that first day. These things happen, I'd just go back and try to shadow again if you really want to.
If anything, it might show you're persistent and really want to do this, that you were willing to try again despite fainting.

Just my personal view, you know what's best.

^This near exact same situation happened to me. 1 hour into surgery on little sleep and a poor breakfast I went completely black. I was wearing a lead vest and had a surgical mask which made me feel like I was rebreathing half my exhale. Crashed to the floor while hitting the light "lamp" equipment on the way down and got a nice cut and bruise right next to my eye which cost me an $800 ER bill. I still have a very slight scar that only I can really see in the mirror. The surgeon and nurses were very understanding and made my feelings of humiliation much more bearable. Later that week I came back still bruised and a scab over the cut with a full night's sleep and hearty breakfast that kept me standing through the four hour surgery. I now laugh about the experience as I think I have grown from it. The $800 ER bill though bugs me a little still.

My advice is the same as others. Just ask the doctor again and make sure to be well fed, hydrated, and rested prior to rounding/shadowing again. You are certainly not the first person to faint while shadowing.

Hint: Don't go to any autopsies directed by Mel Brooks.

I fainted during a shadowing session. It turns out I had an undiagnosed condition that messed with my blood pressure and heart rate...I totally blacked out. I hit my head HARD when I went down and got a concussion. It was probably one of the most embarrassing moments of my life. That said, it seems like people faint all the time during shadowing sessions so it's nothing to dwell on. It happened - move on.

Also - make sure you are well fed before shadowing. AND DON'T lock your knees when you stand.

I almost passed out when watching an Open heart surgery. What I did was come back the next day and watch another. The best way to solve these circumstances is to become more familiar with them either slowly or rapidly. Relax and don't let insecurities or worries get the best of you. It happens to all of us.

the doctor probably hasn't given you a second thought after that incident. Trust me, you are not as important as you think you are (I mean this in a nice way). You're just being self-conscious. If you want to shadow more, just go up to her and ask her if you can do it another day. I bet she'll be completely fine with it. She's not going to go out of her way again to get you to shadow her though, unless she's REALLY nice and considerate. I'd go for it. Initiating shadowing experiences can be difficult. I remember having to cold-call tons of random doctor's offices to find someone willing to have me.
Agree. It's a very common problem. I've never actually fainted myself, but I did have to leave a room a couple of times to go sit down during med school/residency because I felt lightheaded. If I hadn't left, I would have fainted. I've had students shadowing me actually pass out a few times. Now I tell them up front not to be heroes. If you feel faint, go sit down until you feel better.

It's so normal so don't be embarrassed.
This happened to me the last time I shadowed. I was freaking out all morning about possibly passing out. So my anxiety was up and likely contributed more to it. Wearing a surgical mask also is an adjustment by itself. I felt sick so I excused myself and went and sat down. The nurses brought me ginger ale and crackers, hah.

I then got it together and went back in. I also learned I could never be an eye surgeon. But I went back in and then shadowed the doctor again, they don't care so don't worry about it!

Helpful hint for the fainters: sit down on the floor if you start feeling lightheaded. Don't keep standing. Don't sit in a chair. Sit down right on the floor. That way if you pass out, you're not going to be doing any damage whatsoever to yourself and creating MORE people for the doctors/nurses to care for, whereas passing out while you're standing up/sitting in a chair can lead to injuries (as several people have experienced)! It may look ridiculous, but everyone knows why you're sitting on the floor and appreciates that you're trying to avoid causing a problem for them. Also, better to sit down right where you are than to try to make it out to a hallway and pass out on the way there!

I'll be honest, I'm a bit surprised that no one has mentioned being told this before - it's a fairly common rule, at least around here.

On my last day of general surgery I had to excuse myself from the table because I was starting to get that feel. It was an emergent case so I hadn't eaten breakfast or had anything to drink yet, and to make matters worse the room was scorching hot. I left, shoved some saltines into my mouth, bolused myself with 500 cc of water, and got back into it 10 minutes later.

This sort of thing happens - it's not to be unexpected. Agree with Beanche completely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happened to me too. I was thoroughly dehydrated on a very hot day and BAM, my face hit the floor like the Titanic hit that iceberg.

I just came back the next day.

Stop being such a sissy, k?

The attending may have thought that getting you to shadow the first time was getting your foot in the door so that you are more comfortable to ask for a second time. But ditto the not as important thing, they probably don't even remember the fainting.

From wikipedia's list of cognitive biases... Spotlight effect: The tendency to overestimate the amount that other people notice your appearance or behavior.

I vasovagal'ed (to my absolute shock) during a lumbar puncture 7 hours into a shadow shift, and the attending ER doctor I was shadowing didn't even notice because the intern was doing it while he was checking on someone else, plus I stepped outside to sit and put my head down. I was super-embarrassed anyway... >.< When I came back for another shift, I pre-emptively sat down to watch another LP and was fine. :)

You're probably fine. Assuming she remembers, tell her how you're planning to avoid it next time.

I passed out in a patient's room while shadowing on rounds because I didn't eat/drink. I ended up shadowing the doctor again. The next time I shadowed her, I overheated in the surgical gown and mask, ended up having to sit down with my head between my knees for a little while and then went out for some air...got back out there a few minutes later! Don't sweat it :)