How to set a realistic MCAT goal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Raavenclaw

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
First time posting :)

I just took the NS Diagnostic half-length exam and scored a 503 (125/128/125/125). I'm neither disappointed nor excited about this score. I took the half-length diagnostic after 2 weeks of content review, and now want to set an MCAT goal based off this starting point. I take the exam in three months on September 9.

I see 520+ scores on SDN and obviously want to achieve the same, but I don't know if that's realistic for me. I wasn't a science major either. I've stopped research/working to study for the MCAT. I'm only doing volunteer work, and can sign up for hours at my leisure. How did you guys go about setting goal scores? Did you just pick a percentile and go with it?

Members don't see this ad.

look at the median scores for the schools you're applying to
Sorry, I guess I should've been more specific. I want to score well above median scores but don't know how high to shoot, if that makes sense. I want to be very competitive but worry my goal will be unattainable.

I meant the median score of applicants accepted to your school of choice, which of course will be higher than the median score of all applicants or all test-takers.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry, I guess I should've been more specific. I want to score well above median scores but don't know how high to shoot, if that makes sense. I want to be very competitive but worry my goal will be unattainable.

Shoot for a 520. Who cares if it's not attainable? The "attainable goal" is based on your perception of how well you think you can do without getting discouraged along the way. Just commit to scoring high and it'll force you to study as hard as you can and who knows, you may score lower or higher. But you don't want to set your goals based on the potential of being disappointed along the way.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

If you aren't shooting for the moon you aren't thinking big enough. Shoot for a 528 and work like you deserve it. You likely won't get a 528 but there isn't much of a point in setting your bar low. I'd be willing to be almost everyone with a 528 didn't have their bar set any lower than that.

Reactions: 1 users
Take a look at your application and gauge the caliber of schools you will be applying to. An amazing MCAT score isn't going to get you into a top 10 school with a lackluster application. So take a look at your application and see what kind of school you're competitive for and which schools are achievable reaches for you. Then look at those schools' average MCAT scores. Shoot to be above that score. So for top 20 or so, you probably want to be 516+.

Reactions: 2 users
First time posting :)

I just took the NS Diagnostic half-length exam and scored a 503 (125/128/125/125). I'm neither disappointed nor excited about this score. I took the half-length diagnostic after 2 weeks of content review, and now want to set an MCAT goal based off this starting point. I take the exam in three months on September 9.

I see 520+ scores on SDN and obviously want to achieve the same, but I don't know if that's realistic for me. I wasn't a science major either. I've stopped research/working to study for the MCAT. I'm only doing volunteer work, and can sign up for hours at my leisure. How did you guys go about setting goal scores? Did you just pick a percentile and go with it?

I think everybody here summed it pretty well. I would look at the schools you want to apply to and try and get those median scores. As a general rule a 510+ is a solid score to give you a few choices at least. A 516+ is a score that will give you plenty of options.

If you set your 'goal' as a 528 then you'll never feel ready.

I think everybody here summed it pretty well. I would look at the schools you want to apply to and try and get those median scores. As a general rule a 510+ is a solid score to give you a few choices at least. A 516+ is a score that will give you plenty of options.

If you set your 'goal' as a 528 then you'll never feel ready.

This^

You never feel ready, but at some point you have to be ready. Set a very high but somewhat realistic or attainable goal. Shoot for the moon, not a distant planet we've never been to before.

I wouldn't focus on your 503 diagnostic. Half the battle of the MCAT is staying focused and on top of your game for 8 hours. You won't be able to gage where you are at, or where you want to be, until you take a full length under simulated testing conditions.

Last edited:
In conjunction with the 503 from the diagnostic, I would reach for a score a bit higher such as 505 or 510. You might not want to set a score too high because it might feel like the climb is too steep and exhausting. Set realistic goals close to your scores that you are currently receiving then take the extra step by pushing them higher. Best of luck!

I wouldn't focus on your 503 diagnostic. Half the battle of the MCAT is staying focused and on top of your game for 8 hours. You won't be able to gage where you are at, or where you want to be, until you take a full length under simulated testing conditions.
I just took my first NS FL and got a 508. Is a 516 goal in 11 weeks too ambitious?

In conjunction with the 503 from the diagnostic, I would reach for a score a bit higher such as 505 or 510. You might not want to set a score too high because it might feel like the climb is too steep and exhausting. Set realistic goals close to your scores that you are currently receiving then take the extra step by pushing them higher. Best of luck!
I just took my first NS FL and got a 508. Is a 516 goal in 11 weeks too ambitious?

I scored a 524. I never, ever thought that I would score a 524. My highest next step was a 514 and my highest Altius was a 515. Both of my aamc FL scores were 520. My point is that most people score higher on the actual than the practice tests. Shooting for the stars and hitting pluto isn't too bad. To answer your question, no. Just study hard and try to be interested. Note that Next Steps 5-10 are more difficult (IMO) than Next Step 1-4.

How many practice tests did you take? For NS which ones would you recommend buying?

It sounds silly, but this worked for me: I told myself that I'm aiming for a 528. No excuses. This made me push myself so much harder and strive for excellence, because when I started hitting 129s-131s on practice exam sections, I didn't give up. Instead, I was pissed at myself for making 5 errors out of 59 questions, and it kept my mind focused. I don't like that attitude of setting a "realistic score goal" that's low, because if you fall short, you're in a bad spot. Don't aim for a 512. Don't aim for a 515, 518, or 520. Nothing short of perfection, and push yourself to achieve it.

Reactions: 3 users
How many practice tests did you take? For NS which ones would you recommend buying?

I took 22. 10 NS, 10 Altius, 2 AAMC. Also the unscored FL from AAMC. I also did every single AAMC question that they released (SB, question packs, etc). To be honest, after the first 10 practice tests, the only benefit was content review from reviewing the tests.

I would recommend buying the first 5 (though I think you can't do that, you may have to buy the first 6). I would recommend Altius over NS.

Last edited:
I took 22. 10 NS, 10 Altius, 2 AAMC. Also the unscored FL from AAMC. I also did every single AAMC question that they released (SB, question packs, etc). To be honest, after the first 10 practice tests, the only benefit was content review from reviewing the tests.

I would recommend buying the first 5 (though I think you can't do that, you may have to buy the first 6). I would recommend Altius over NS. I

Thanks for the feedback. How long was your prep if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks for the feedback. How long was your prep if you don't mind me asking?
1 month of unorganized content review (just read Exam Krackers books and Princeton Review's "Complete MCAT" book) and then 3.5 months of taking FLs. I would take them on the weekends and alternate weeks between one a weekend and two a weekend. The weekdays were dedicated to my job, going over the FLs, and hitting the books for topics I didn't have down. As I've said above, I likely didn't need to kill myself as much as I did. I should have dedicated more time to content review and only taken 10-12 tests.

1 month of unorganized content review (just read Exam Krackers books and Princeton Review's "Complete MCAT" book) and then 3.5 months of taking FLs. I would take them on the weekends and alternate weeks between one a weekend and two a weekend. The weekdays were dedicated to my job, going over the FLs, and hitting the books for topics I didn't have down. As I've said above, I likely didn't need to kill myself as much as I did. I should have dedicated more time to content review and only taken 10-12 tests.
Thanks for your help!

Hmm I approached this from a completely different point of view. I didn't aim for any single score in particular; I just aimed to learn the material as best as I could. I felt prepared when I thought I learned the material to the best of my abilities, when I felt that I could not be any more prepared than I am at that moment.

When I started my MCAT review class, I had to write down a target score. I made mine a 520, but completely forgot about it. I remembered I wrote a target score and checked it after having gotten back my score and realized I did beat it. But when I was studying, I completely ignored any score. I studied to learn the material best I could. I think this is the sort of thing you should decide for yourself. If I had stuck strictly to a target score, I would have lost sight of what was actually important and would have just focused on the numbers; if you're able to look beyond that, then setting a target score for yourself might not be a bad idea.

Hmm I approached this from a completely different point of view. I didn't aim for any single score in particular; I just aimed to learn the material as best as I could. I felt prepared when I thought I learned the material to the best of my abilities, when I felt that I could not be any more prepared than I am at that moment.

When I started my MCAT review class, I had to write down a target score. I made mine a 520, but completely forgot about it. I remembered I wrote a target score and checked it after having gotten back my score and realized I did beat it. But when I was studying, I completely ignored any score. I studied to learn the material best I could. I think this is the sort of thing you should decide for yourself. If I had stuck strictly to a target score, I would have lost sight of what was actually important and would have just focused on the numbers; if you're able to look beyond that, then setting a target score for yourself might not be a bad idea.
I definitely understand where you're coming from and I think this is a great mindset to have. I do wonder whether I'll ever feel truly prepared for an unpredictable exam that encompasses so much material. I wanted a goal score so that when I took the AAMC FL a week before the real MCAT, I would be able to determine whether I'm actually ready to take the MCAT or if I should postpone it and continue studying. I do understand how setting a strict goal could inhibit progress, though.