This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

twelvetigers

stabby cat
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It can be hard to sift through so much information at once. I know it's easier to just ask whatever it is you want to ask about. But... when everyone starts a new thread any time they have a question, things get congested and even more confusing.

Using the search function is easy. Here, let me show you.

step1.jpg

So, here is SDN as you see it, plus or minus a few details. Maybe you are using a different theme, or maybe you have some ads at the top... but the little search box should be in the upper right corner, very close to the "Post New Thread" button that you may or may not have already found.

step2.jpg

Click the box that says "Search..." and it will expand. You can go ahead and type things in it from here, but since SDN is such a big place, you would probably get lots of results that aren't relevant for you as a pre-veterinary student or similar. So let's make it better. Click "More..." for the advanced search function. (I circled it for ya.)

step3.jpg

In the box that lists all the forums by section, you'll have to scroll about 1/4 of the way down and find "Veterinary Forums [ DVM ]" - you can pick Pre-Veterinary or Veterinary if you want, but I usually just pick the whole section (as shown).

step4.jpg

Now type some terms in the box that says "Keywords:" next to it. I did a search for 'letter of recommendation', but you could look for 'last 45 GPA' or 'Florida State' or 'research experience' or whatever floats your little boat.

step5.jpg

The search results show up like this. On the right side, it tells you if it's a single post or a whole thread that was found. If it's a post, it takes you to the single post when you click it - isn't that convenient?

If you haven't found the information you were looking for, you can try some different keywords. If your topic is related to an older thread but is not addressed directly, please feel free to post in the older thread to ask your question rather than starting a new one.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 22 users
It can be hard to sift through so much information at once. I know it's easier to just ask whatever it is you want to ask about. But... when everyone starts a new thread any time they have a question, things get congested and even more confusing.

Using the search function is easy. Here, let me show you.

View attachment 203899
So, here is SDN as you see it, plus or minus a few details. Maybe you are using a different theme, or maybe you have some ads at the top... but the little search box should be in the upper right corner, very close to the "Post New Thread" button that you may or may not have already found.

View attachment 203900

Click the box that says "Search..." and it will expand. You can go ahead and type things in it from here, but since SDN is such a big place, you would probably get lots of results that aren't relevant for you as a pre-veterinary student or similar. So let's make it better. Click "More..." for the advanced search function. (I circled it for ya.)

View attachment 203901
In the box that lists all the forums by section, you'll have to scroll about 1/4 of the way down and find "Veterinary Forums [ DVM ]" - you can pick Pre-Veterinary or Veterinary if you want, but I usually just pick the whole section (as shown).

View attachment 203902
Now type some terms in the box that says "Keywords:" next to it. I did a search for 'letter of recommendation', but you could look for 'last 45 GPA' or 'Florida State' or 'research experience' or whatever floats your little boat.

View attachment 203903

The search results show up like this. On the right side, it tells you if it's a single post or a whole thread that was found. If it's a post, it takes you to the single post when you click it - isn't that convenient?

If you haven't found the information you were looking for, you can try some different keywords. If your topic is related to an older thread but is not addressed directly, please feel free to post in the older thread to ask your question rather than starting a new one.

I still can't find what I'm looking for, and I'm having a hard time trying to figure out how to start a new thread. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I still can't find what I'm looking for, and I'm having a hard time trying to figure out how to start a new thread. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Since you're pre-med, you'll probably want this forum: Pre-Medical - MD

Either way, click the "post new thread" button on the main forum page. It's right below the search box like in the first screenshot above (though the style has changed since then). If you can't find it, you can control-f to search. If you still can't find it, you're probably on the wrong page- you want the main forum page like I linked for pre-allo.

I cant find it. I've looked and I control F'd it. Now I'm wondering how the F do I post.

I don't see anything under my search bar either. All I want to know is how to start a new thread/post. I've never had this much trouble finding the button on any other forum.
Format of the forum has changed slightly. Here’s where it is on a mobile browser, so scroll down some and post your thread if you’ve already searched and found nothing related that you could ask your question on that thread instead.
BCBF3795-E308-4DDE-8019-244CB2D5C850.png

Is there a way to only search within a specific post/thread?? I can't seem to find/figure that out.

Go to the thread you want to search in, click the search button, change the box that says everywhere to this thread

I don't have that option. There's "search everything" and "search threads" (plural) but no "this thread". Searching threads for the keywords I want brings up all threads. I've tried to past what I see in the "Search threads" tab. Thank you for your reponse.

1578071972269.png

I don't have that option. There's "search everything" and "search threads" (plural) but no "this thread". Searching threads for the keywords I want brings up all threads. I've tried to past what I see in the "Search threads" tab. Thank you for your reponse.

View attachment 291602
What are you using to browse SDN? Is it the app?
This is what it looks like for me on the general SDN website.
Screenshot_20200103-093006.png

Reactions: 1 user
I'm using a desktop browser, Firefox and/or Chrome. I guess it's not an option on the desktop site.

Its present on my desktop browser. Are you in the thread? Could be theme?

Attachments

• 15780735195764477237788493614996.jpg
    15780735195764477237788493614996.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 107
Reactions: 1 users
If anyone wants to search the forums using the mobile app, here’s how:

1. Open SDN in your mobile browser and search there instead

The search function on the app is downright sad. I mean, I use the app everyday. I like it. But the search is no good.