How to pay for med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mizukisan

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok I'm looking towards the future a bit too much right now but I like to plan ahead way before anything just out of habit.

I'm an undergrad at a private university that costs a lot and my family is paying full tuition. I feel really bad about this because I chose this school on a whim and I couldn't transfer out this past semester because of a low GPA (due to depression and unfamiliarity with my environment first semester). Anyways, I'm majoring in business (before going to university, I was convinced I was too dumb for anything else) and I don't feel like dropping out of this program because it's a really good program and business isn't all that boring and the only reason why my parents are letting me to go to such an overpriced university.

I really really really want to be a doctor though (since high school) and I'm trying to take the medical school prerequisites while majoring in something else. The thing is, assuming I get into medical school (which I'm working really really really hard to do), I'm worried that I already wasted so much money at this university, it will be hard to pay for medical school. I don't think we will get that much financial aid because we're not low income, but we're not terribly rich. I'm just so worried and I feel so guilty for making my parents spend so much now and I won't be able to pay for medical school because I don't want all their money spent on me. HELP!!! :(

Members don't see this ad.

Stafford and GradPlus loans will cover school costs. Keep in mind these interest rates are around 6-7% and expected to rise in the future. There's always the military route if you are worried about debt.

People should not do HPSP (the "military route") unless they were actually considering military service in the first place.

Reactions: 15 users
Members don't see this ad :)
People should not do HPSP (the "military route") unless they were actually considering military service in the first place.
Just to add to this, even at 7% interest you are better off taking the loans and paying them off after residency in private practice compared to doing HPSP. The pay differential is large and the commitment is for a long duration.

As @gonnif likes to say, Step one: Take a breath.

As you already know, you are far too young in your journey to becoming a physician to start worrying about money! Focus on your studies, volunteering, and getting experiences first. Then, when you're accepted into your dream medical school, you can think about cost. Good on you for looking early for resources and whatnot, but you have other things to worry about right now my anonymous internet friend.

You, and your family, will be okay. Now go worry about other, college things!

[edited the oh so wise Gonnif's motto for accuracy, forgive me]

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
1. How do you think the rest of us pay for it (and paid for undergrad)?
2. Is Google broken or are you somehow unable to use it?

Reactions: 1 user
Do you feel better now that you've sassily replied to someone seeking out help online? If you do, great. Though next time, try to find other means of letting off stress from medical school than being sassy to a undergraduate freshman in college.

Reactions: 20 users
OP literally registered last year and is posting for the first time, cut them some slack.

Reactions: 5 users
OP literally registered last year and is posting for the first time, cut them some slack.
on mobile and didn't notice. Sorry opie
Do you feel better now that you've sassily replied to someone seeking out help online? If you do, great. Though next time, try to find other means of letting off stress from medical school than being sassy to a undergraduate freshman in college.
It's summer for me bro, the only thing to stress about is which bar to go to

Reactions: 4 users
on mobile and didn't notice. Sorry opie

It's summer for me bro, the only thing to stress about is which bar to go to

Rude. Probably one of the little boys that get off on the power of being in the hierarchy that is medicine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Totally disagree
>reads comment
>he disagrees
>doesn't offer evidence on which disagreement could be based
>looks at username
>...inspects username closer
>o no, "maga" = make america great again
>o no...pls no

Yeah, I don't know if you're gonna get far with this one @Ismet

Reactions: 8 users
Sorry buddy, you had it coming with a political username! I was thinking about using MARX/BERNIE2020 as my username but eventually decided against it due to its polarizing nature... But I think we can all agree Johnny B. Good is a great song, so I decided that'd be better;)

Reactions: 4 users
Sorry buddy, you had it coming with a political username! I was thinking about using MARX/BERNIE2020 as my username but eventually decided against it due to its polarizing nature... But I think we can all agree Johnny B. Good is a great song, so I decided that'd be better;)
Please explain the use of the word "leggo" in your signature. Is that a misspell?

I got you :yeahright:

Last edited:
Rude. Probably one of the little boys that get off on the power of being in the hierarchy that is medicine.
Yeah as someone who just finished m1 I actually stuff people below me into lockers on the reg. It's the first thing I've done in life that makes me feel kewl. That or not looking up easy to find info is a pet peeve of mine. The first hit after googling "How to pay for medical school" is sallie mae. Second hit is Paying for Medical School which answers ops question comprehensively

Reactions: 1 users
@mizukisan Don't worry about that just now. Accept the things you cannot change (where and how you've studied in the past), do your best to demonstrate academic excellence going forward, and trust that the finances will work out in the end if medical school is meant to be.

Ok I'm looking towards the future a bit too much right now but I like to plan ahead way before anything just out of habit.

I'm an undergrad at a private university that costs a lot and my family is paying full tuition. I feel really bad about this because I chose this school on a whim and I couldn't transfer out this past semester because of a low GPA (due to depression and unfamiliarity with my environment first semester). Anyways, I'm majoring in business (before going to university, I was convinced I was too dumb for anything else) and I don't feel like dropping out of this program because it's a really good program and business isn't all that boring and the only reason why my parents are letting me to go to such an overpriced university.

I really really really want to be a doctor though (since high school) and I'm trying to take the medical school prerequisites while majoring in something else. The thing is, assuming I get into medical school (which I'm working really really really hard to do), I'm worried that I already wasted so much money at this university, it will be hard to pay for medical school. I don't think we will get that much financial aid because we're not low income, but we're not terribly rich. I'm just so worried and I feel so guilty for making my parents spend so much now and I won't be able to pay for medical school because I don't want all their money spent on me. HELP!!! :(

you can pay for it (not finance it) through the BANK. I think you know what bank i'm talking about.
No, not that one. Think zebras before horses.
M

you can pay for it (not finance it) through the BANK. I think you know what bank i'm talking about.
No, not that one. Think zebras before horses.
M
Unfortunately no one knows what you're talking about

Reactions: 6 users
Unfortunately no one knows what you're talking about
hey, premed - think either laterally or outside the box. it will come in handy later on. as well as a sense of humor.

Cook meth and sell it. It went well for Walter white right?

hey, premed - think either laterally or outside the box. it will come in handy later on. as well as a sense of humor.
I have a better sense of humor than 99% of people on SDN. A zebra is a black and white striped horse.

Also lol at the height of your pedestal offering premed as an insult. Bravo

why do u say that?
As @gonnif likes to say, Step one: Take a breath.

As you already know, you are far too young in your journey to becoming a physician to start worrying about money! Focus on your studies, volunteering, and getting experiences first. Then, when you're accepted into your dream medical school, you can think about cost. Good on you for looking early for resources and whatnot, but you have other things to worry about right now my anonymous internet friend.

You, and your family, will be okay. Now go worry about other, college things!

[edited the oh so wise Gonnif's motto for accuracy, forgive me]
haha THANKS!! I guess I am overreacting about all this too much.
@mizukisan Don't worry about that just now. Accept the things you cannot change (where and how you've studied in the past), do your best to demonstrate academic excellence going forward, and trust that the finances will work out in the end if medical school is meant to be.
Thankss I'll try to do that!
Cook meth and sell it. It went well for Walter white right?
best idea ever ;)

I have a better sense of humor than 99% of people on SDN. A zebra is a black and white striped horse.

Also lol at the height of your pedestal offering premed as an insult. Bravo

if thats what your parents tell you
you sound like you suck at life.

if thats what your parents tell you
you sound like you suck at life.
648.gif

Stop with the personal attacks. This is a reminder to keep your posts courteous and civil.

why do u say that?

I know several people who did/are doing HPSP and they are all people who actually desire a career in military medicine. It's a major commitment, I believe you have a certain amount of active duty time every year that you're in school, then you owe back however many years they paid for in military service. If you're interested in learning more, there's an entire Military Medicine forum here that you can peruse. There are a bunch of threads about HPSP where they crunch the numbers and show that in the long run, it may not be a financial benefit.

All I'm saying is that it's a MAJOR commitment. If the thought of being in the military never once crossed your mind before learning that they would "pay" for med school (not exactly, as you are paying with 4+ years of military service), then that decision deserves quite a bit of consideration and research before going for it.

Edit: Here's a good thread weighing some pros and cons of at least Army HPSP: Army HPSP advice

Last edited:
Usually you're parents could help. Or you can be in the military. Either that or loan it won't be a problem after your a doctor. Doctors usually pay they're loan in about 8 years or less maybe though.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Usually you're parents could help. Or you can be in the military. Either that or loan it won't be a problem after your a doctor. Doctors usually pay they're loan in about 8 years or less maybe though.

I choose to believe that your use of apostrophes has some greater meaning behind it.

Sorry, my grammar suck

Stafford and GradPlus loans will cover school costs. Keep in mind these interest rates are around 6-7% and expected to rise in the future. There's always the military route if you are worried about debt.
How much of your grad school tuition does the military actually cover? I've always been curious.

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile app

How much of your grad school tuition does the military actually cover? I've always been curious.

The HPSP scholarship pays all of your tuition in addition to a sign on bonus and living stipend

Assuming you join AFTER you've revived an acceptance letter to a dental/ medical school, yes?

Yes that's true. However you can also get something called automatic acceptance for army HPSP. You need to meet their GPA and MCAT requirement. I think a simple google search might have the info

Yes that's true. However you can also get something called automatic acceptance for army HPSP. You need to meet their GPA and MCAT requirement. I think a simple google search might have the info
Awesome, thanks!!