This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TryingComp

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

So I am soon going to be writing my comp exam for the second time in about a months time. Kinda stressing out. Last attempt I got a 59 and I need a 68 to pass. I thought I had studied a lot for the 1st attempt, but obviously was not enough. I was wondering if someone could give some suggestions on how to get a decent score.
I was thinking Read FA, watch SketchyMicro (+some Pharm), Pathoma, and do Uworld questions. I have the kaplan books as well, but I don't think I have enough time to review them all.
Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Practice questions! At this point, studying for COMP = studying for step. The more practice questions you do the better. You've already seen the material, you just need to apply it now.

Reactions: 1 users
You're probably not going to jump nine points for the next exam. And by probably I really mean ain't. Look for a school that will take the 59 so you can get started with STEP prep and a STEP prep course.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're probably not going to jump nine points for the next exam. And by probably I really mean ain't. Look for a school that will take the 59 so you can get started with STEP prep and a STEP prep course.

Gonna try to get that 68. We get 3 tries. So if not this time, then hopefully for sure the next time. Worst case scenario will look at some place that will accept my comp score.
Thanks,

Gonna try to get that 68. We get 3 tries. So if not this time, then hopefully for sure the next time. Worst case scenario will look at some place that will accept my comp score.
Thanks,

Do what you need to do. Good luck. I have friends taking the comp so I know where you're coming from. My only suggestion to you is do whatever you need to do to NOT delay graduation.

Do what you need to do. Good luck. I have friends taking the comp so I know where you're coming from. My only suggestion to you is do whatever you need to do to NOT delay graduation.

Oh brother... transfer?!?? Are you serious?

:rolleyes:

I suggest that you ignore aformerstudent. Unless, that is, you are keen on taking very bad advice from someone who openly purports to have failed to succeed at this pathway.

What school are you currently attending? The policies regarding the COMP vary depending on the school. The WORST advice, at this point (and for a variety of reasons), would be to consider transfer. Stick it out. Do what you are doing. Try to look at the subjects you were weak on and focus on those. And, yes... questions, questions, questions! Figure out why you got a question wrong when you get it wrong.

-Skip

Reactions: 2 users

I suggest that you ignore aformerstudent. Unless, that is, you are keen on taking very bad advice from someone who openly purports to have failed to succeed at this pathway.

What school are you currently attending? The policies regarding the COMP vary depending on the school. The WORST advice, at this point (and for a variety of reasons), would be to consider transfer. Stick it out. Do what you are doing. Try to look at the subjects you were weak on and focus on those. And, yes... questions, questions, questions! Figure out why you got a question wrong when you get it wrong.

-Skip

Skip, you're a dinosaur in the med school business. My advice, as of today, is relevant in the current environment. Ask 100 people if you fail the comp even once, it's essentially a death sentence. Now if you're just trying to give this student some feel good advice, you're not doing them any favors. And nobody failed anything...that's what you guys are FAILING to see.

-Skip

In Ross. Yeah, just trying to get in as many questions as I can. Have been doing UW and Kaplan questions. Hopefully it pays off. Also as aformerstudent mentioned, does it matter if graduation is delayed? I know with Ross we get 6 months to study for the step after passing the comp. I was thinking of taking 2-3 months of it to really prepare myself for the step which would probably delay graduation, but does that have any effect in terms of residency etc?
Thanks for the advice!

Skip, you're a dinosaur in the med school business. My advice, as of today, is relevant in the current environment. Ask 100 people if you fail the comp even once, it's essentially a death sentence. Now if you're just trying to give this student some feel good advice, you're not doing them any favors. And nobody failed anything...that's what you guys are FAILING to see.

You are nothing more than a bundle of ad hominem, naked opinion, and anecdotes.

Furthermore, your advice is terrible and you repeatedly demonstrate that you have little clue what you are talking about.

In Ross. Yeah, just trying to get in as many questions as I can. Have been doing UW and Kaplan questions. Hopefully it pays off. Also as aformerstudent mentioned, does it matter if graduation is delayed? I know with Ross we get 6 months to study for the step after passing the comp. I was thinking of taking 2-3 months of it to really prepare myself for the step which would probably delay graduation, but does that have any effect in terms of residency etc?
Thanks for the advice!

Ross has a specific policy with regards to the NBME Comp too. I posted info on this sometime back here:

Dismissed from Ross because of COMP failure

The point is, there is zero reason to transfer at this point. It simply looks bad in the future for you, if this is the only thing holding you up. Now, as far as "deceling", it may put you at a disadvantage if you want a competitive residency, but I would just worry about focusing on studying for and passing the Comp so you can move on. The alternative, at this point, is a far worse move for you.

Fix your problems and pass the damn thing. (And, keep us posted.)

-Skip

You are nothing more than a bundle of ad hominem, naked opinion, and anecdotes.

Furthermore, your advice is terrible and you repeatedly demonstrate that you have little clue what you are talking about.

Ross has a specific policy with regards to the NBME Comp too. I posted info on this sometime back here:

Dismissed from Ross because of COMP failure

The point is, there is zero reason to transfer at this point. It simply looks bad in the future for you, if this is the only thing holding you up. Now, as far as "deceling", it may put you at a disadvantage if you want a competitive residency, but I would just worry about focusing on studying for and passing the Comp so you can move on. The alternative, at this point, is a far worse move for you.

Fix your problems and pass the damn thing. (And, keep us posted.)

-Skip

It seems from our last few discussions that I am the one who knows what he is talking about. And stop giving people bad advice.

It seems from our last few discussions that I am the one who knows what he is talking about. And stop giving people bad advice.

You are a troll who has already been banned and then, for some reason, returned to "probationary status". And then, for the life of me, for yet another inexplicable reason taken off of probation.

But, don't worry. Other forum members will be the judge of who is talking sense... and who is talking out of their anus.

-Skip

Last edited:
You are a troll who has already been banned and then, for some reason, returned to "probationary status". And then, for the life of me, for yet another inexplicable reason taken off of probation.

But, don't worry. Other forum members will be the judge of who is talking sense... and who is talking out of there anus.

-Skip

Do not listen to this individual. He went to med school in the Caribbean a long time ago when they were literally handing out diplomas and residencies for the taking.

A troll? If I was a troll, you wouldn't keep responding to my posts. As far as I'm concerned, you're the troll.

The administrators on this site know that I know what I'm talking about and that I mean well. My suggestion to you is to try and come to terms with the fact that when you went to the Caribbean, it was EASY. It's not EASY anymore. If it was easy, I would be a doctor like you.

So I am helping others to see what lies ahead because most of you people sugar coat everything for them. My information will be relevant for at least a few more years as long as I keep getting info from my friends and colleagues who are still at these schools until they graduate.

Regarding this thread, OUR CLINICAL DEAN TOLD ALL THE FIFTH TERM STUDENTS THAT IF THEY FAIL THE COMP THEY WOULD BE IN DEEP ****. And you're giving me lip based on that advice? I can almost guarantee that today if it takes you five years to finish med school, you probably won't even match on your first try even to some primary care positions. You're doing a disservice to anyone if you tell them that info is incorrect.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do not listen to this individual. He went to med school in the Caribbean a long time ago when they were literally handing out diplomas and residencies for the taking.

A troll? If I was a troll, you wouldn't keep responding to my posts. As far as I'm concerned, you're the troll.

The administrators on this site know that I know what I'm talking about and that I mean well. My suggestion to you is to try and come to terms with the fact that when you went to the Caribbean, it was EASY. It's not EASY anymore. If it was easy, I would be a doctor like you.

So I am helping others to see what lies ahead because most of you people sugar coat everything for them. My information will be relevant for at least a few more years as long as I keep getting info from my friends and colleagues who are still at these schools until they graduate.

Regarding this thread, OUR CLINICAL DEAN TOLD ALL THE FIFTH TERM STUDENTS THAT IF THEY FAIL THE COMP THEY WOULD BE IN DEEP ****. And you're giving me lip based on that advice? I can almost guarantee that today if it takes you five years to finish med school, you probably won't even match on your first try even to some primary care positions. You're doing a disservice to anyone if you tell them that info is incorrect.

-Skip

Reactions: 1 user
Both of you are correct, basically. Staying at Ross and delaying graduation is a negative. Switching to a lower tier school trying to stay on track is a negative.

But the real issue, from my viewpoint, is that you're doing very poorly on the comp exam. This suggests you'll struggle with the USMLE -- even if you get the magic 68 on the comp, I worry that you may fail / not do well on Step 1. And I assume you're paying tuition for all of this study time, and any extensions? This is the type of pathway that you can end up with tons of debt, and no residency. It's time to take a long hard look and your performance, and what comes next.

Given that, I agree with Skip. If you're going to continue down this path, stay at Ross, retake the comp, and delay graduation if necessary. if you switch to a new school and just jump into Step 1, you're likely to end up with a poor score / fail and then you'll be sunk deeper.

But honestly, you need to consider stopping altogether. I know that hurts, but it's the truth.

If you're going to continue down this path, stay at Ross, retake the comp, and delay graduation if necessary.

It may not delay graduation.

This is multifactorial and depends on time to USMLE Step 1 (and passing), scheduling of 3rd and 4th year clinical clerkships, obtaining ECFMG certification (and other credentials), and ability to make graduation in time to start July 1 residency during graduation year. It is possible for certain matriculants to start at Ross and, without any hiccups, complete the entire M.D. program in 3.5 years calendar years. I personally know of several who did this, including one who did an Emergency Medicine residency at Duke (if we're going to continue to toss around anecdotes).

In other words, there is a little bit of flexibility built into the 4-year program. But, if you do transfer now, it will potentially completely screw-up your entire life. That is the worst advice for you at this point.

-Skip

if you do transfer now, it will potentially completely screw-up your entire life.

1. Many have done it before as their only way to succeed
2. Your anecdote doesn't even apply to the OP and we all know that you can complete the Caribbean in 3.5 years based on a variety of factors with start times and administrative policies within all of these schools; which in this case do not apply to the OP again. AUA allows students to skip a whole term if they can "test out" of taking their mandatory STEP prep course. Does the OP have the 84 needed to do that?
3. Most Caribbean students WILL have "hiccups." Does that mean they are not meant to be doctors? No.

Also, for your future reference, there is a difference between anecdote and fact. 50 years from today when someone says Trump actually became President, that's not an anecdote...it's actually a fact.

1. Many have done it before as their only way to succeed
2. Your anecdote doesn't even apply to the OP and we all know that you can complete the Caribbean in 3.5 years based on a variety of factors with start times and administrative policies within all of these schools; which in this case do not apply to the OP again. AUA allows students to skip a whole term if they can "test out" of taking their mandatory STEP prep course. Does the OP have the 84 needed to do that?
3. Most Caribbean students WILL have "hiccups." Does that mean they are not meant to be doctors? No.

Also, for your future reference, there is a difference between anecdote and fact. 50 years from today when someone says Trump actually became President, that's not an anecdote...it's actually a fact.

Actually "50 years from today when someone says Trump became president" can be both an anecdote and a fact depending on the context in which it is brought up. An anecdote is usually qualitative evidence. Not sure you really know what anecdote means. Nonetheless, your advice seems BAD. You should always try and do everything in your power to stay at your current school, unless FORCED to leave. While I'm not an expert on Caribbean education, whether OP is studying for COMP or for Step1 it's probably the same material and it will only help him down the line for step1. If he can't pass COMP he probably can't pass step1 (or why would the school use this screen). Therefore, I would reason that he is better off just staying at Ross, a better school than wherever he could transfer to, and studying and passing comp while he is still enrolled and in good standing there. This seems like common sense. Transferring should only be a last resort.

You're wasting everybody's time kid.

I am a medical student unlike you, so I think my advice holds more weight. People are free to offer contrasting evidence to what I just said if they know more than I do (like some of the people on these forums who have actually made it through Ross and the COMP), which is why I qualified my statement saying I wasn't an expert. But unfortunately you haven't be able to offer up anything to contradict my advice, just a personal attack.

Reactions: 1 user
I am a medical student unlike you, so I think my advice holds more weight. People are free to offer contrasting evidence to what I just said if they know more than I do (like some of the people on these forums who have actually made it through Ross and the COMP), which is why I qualified my statement saying I wasn't an expert. But unfortunately you haven't be able to offer up anything to contradict my advice, just a personal attack.

Whatever makes you sleep better tonight my friend.

But unfortunately you haven't be able to offer up anything to contradict my advice, just a personal attack.

There are people in this world who are instructive, and then there are those who are simply destructive.

Never listen to anyone who (1) is so arrogant that they will never be able to admit they are mistaken, (2) routinely demonstrates recklessness and carelessness in their advice, or (3) believes their personal opinion somehow supersedes actual facts/evidence, or (4) hasn't achieved the training, experience, or credentials to back up what they're saying.

One can't offer an "expert opinion" if one is not actually an expert, despite what their self-delusion may tell them.

-Skip

There are people in this world who are instructive, and then there are those who are simply destructive.

Never listen to anyone who (1) is so arrogant that they will never be able to admit they are mistaken, (2) routinely demonstrates recklessness and carelessness in their advice, or (3) believes their personal opinion somehow supersedes actual facts/evidence, or (4) hasn't achieved the training, experience, or credentials to back up what they're saying.

One can't offer an "expert opinion" if one is not actually an expert, despite what their self-delusion may tell them.

-Skip

Says the guy who went to the Caribbean in 2001.

I keep telling him things are different today but instead of listening and accepting that, he resorts to personal attacks.

You don't need to be a practicing physician to be an expert on Caribbean education. Case in point, the guy that started SGU is a freaking lawyer lol.