How to make a good impression with the Admissions Office on campus tour?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JustInYurEyez

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I currently attend UNLV and I am going to be taking a trip down to SoCal for a weekend in July. I was planning on attending SCCO's Summer Admissions Workshop during that time, but they actually moved the date of the workshop to the following weekend, and that is when I start my summer session class. I already requested the days off from work to go down to Cali, so I contacted SCCO's admissions office to schedule a campus tour and also an advising session with Dr. Monroe.

So I am searching for some pointers in regards to what topics I should discuss with Dr. Monroe in order to kind of make me stand out in some way. I've done plenty of reading on the Optometry FAQs page that SCCO has on their website and I already spoke with a former UNLV Alumni that is a current 3rd year at SCCO, and she told me that it would be of my best interest to have myself on their radar, as not many NV students apply. Even though it's just a campus tour, what would you guys suggest for appropriate dress attire? I asked one of the ODs I work with, and she said I should come in with a suit LOL.. But then another one of my ODs said, just something casual that I would wear as if I was going to clinicals..

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Definitely wear a suit. Always better to be overdressed than under, and no one has ever rolled their eyes at someone interviewing in a suit. It shows you're serious.
Talk about clinical experiences, why you like their program and any extra things you hope to do (research, community projects etc)

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think that a suit would be necessary for this kind of meeting. I'm sure the weather in UNLV gets just as hot (if not, hotter), but SoCal will get pretty warm over the summer, so a suit would definitely make you sweat on the tour, which I feel is less of a good impression than showing up in comfortable business casual or something. The Summer Admissions Workshop recommends business casual, so maybe follow that since you were planning on going to that anyway? Business casual is equivalent/similar to clinical attire.

In terms of speaking points, do a little research on their website and ask Dr. Monroe about things that interest you. I took interest in the interprofessional education aspect of MBKU when I was doing my research, so during my SCCO interview, a lot of my questions revolved around that. You can ask about their curriculum, their use of new technology in the classroom, etc. The MBKU website gives a lot of information that you can work off of, so take a look at that and you should be able to find something to talk about with Dr. Monroe :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely wear a suit. Always better to be overdressed than under, and no one has ever rolled their eyes at someone interviewing in a suit. It shows you're serious.
Talk about clinical experiences, why you like their program and any extra things you hope to do (research, community projects etc)
Thank you. But as what vvv said, I'm not technically interviewing, and it's just a casual event. But thanks for the input!

I don't think that a suit would be necessary for this kind of meeting. I'm sure the weather in UNLV gets just as hot (if not, hotter), but SoCal will get pretty warm over the summer, so a suit would definitely make you sweat on the tour, which I feel is less of a good impression than showing up in comfortable business casual or something. The Summer Admissions Workshop recommends business casual, so maybe follow that since you were planning on going to that anyway? Business casual is equivalent/similar to clinical attire.

In terms of speaking points, do a little research on their website and ask Dr. Monroe about things that interest you. I took interest in the interprofessional education aspect of MBKU when I was doing my research, so during my SCCO interview, a lot of my questions revolved around that. You can ask about their curriculum, their use of new technology in the classroom, etc. The MBKU website gives a lot of information that you can work off of, so take a look at that and you should be able to find something to talk about with Dr. Monroe :)

Oh, yeah it definitely gets scorching here in Vegas during the summer LOL. Would you recommend that I bring a copy of my CV to have Dr. Monroe review with me?

Thank you. But as what vvv said, I'm not technically interviewing, and it's just a casual event. But thanks for the input!

Oh, yeah it definitely gets scorching here in Vegas during the summer LOL. Would you recommend that I bring a copy of my CV to have Dr. Monroe review with me?

You CAN bring your CV, but don't just bring it to her expecting her to give you comments on anything. She won't outright and tell you that you need to work on this or work on that before applying, but if you bring questions related to how you can improve your CV and how you can become a more competitive applicant, she'll be willing to answer those for you.

Business casual. Comfortable dress shoes. If not, consider slipping in some insoles.

Showing a genuine curiosity is better than asking questions just for the sake of standing out. Be genuine.

Ask questions about the program you may not have exposure to:

Are the students generally happy? Do they get dedicated board study time? What do they offer to help students who fall in trouble academically? What does the program think of over-saturation? Do OOS students get any tips from the school regarding living locations? Do they care if OOS students do not end up practicing in their state? What direction is optometry headed to currently? Is the class cohesive or is it every man for himself?

UPDATE: I finally met with Dr. Munroe last Thursday and the advising session went phenomenal! Upon checking in I had to fill out a small paper just my basic info including my GPA and units completed along with some main topics that I would like to discuss while I was with her. The very first thing that she asked me was "So why do you want to be an Optometrist?" and that is where I gave her my lifes story on how the profession gravitated towards me. After that she pointed out my GPA.. Currently my GPA is sitting at 3.04, which is not at all where I would like it to be, considering I still need to take O-Chem, Microbiology, both semesters of Physics and Biochem in order to complete my prereqs. I was very self conscious about that, but when she pointed out my GPA during our session, she told me that your GPA is good and she went on about how their GPAs to be very saturated and they typically like see us score better on the OAT. She just told me to do "good" on the OAT and she said it in a way where she said "You don't have to blow it out of the water, but just do well." She told me that if I do good on the OAT, I can just write myself a ticket over to SCCO! At the end of the tour and advising session I thought as though she might have thought highly of me, just considering the responses that she gave me.. but overall the campus is wonderful and I am very excited to get myself ready for application season when the time comes.

On a side note, would anyone know if it is heard of that she would create a file for me even though we were just on a standard private tour and advising session? I told one of the ODs that I work with and she said that she probably did make a file for me? I am just concerned because I am not going to be applying until next summer for admission into the Fall 2019 class and I wouldn't want her to forget me..

Lastly, I know that she is the Assistant Dean of Admissions but is she a huge factor in determining what applicants get selected for interviews and overall choosing who gets accepted into the program?

Thanks!

UPDATE: I finally met with Dr. Munroe last Thursday and the advising session went phenomenal! Upon checking in I had to fill out a small paper just my basic info including my GPA and units completed along with some main topics that I would like to discuss while I was with her. The very first thing that she asked me was "So why do you want to be an Optometrist?" and that is where I gave her my lifes story on how the profession gravitated towards me. After that she pointed out my GPA.. Currently my GPA is sitting at 3.04, which is not at all where I would like it to be, considering I still need to take O-Chem, Microbiology, both semesters of Physics and Biochem in order to complete my prereqs. I was very self conscious about that, but when she pointed out my GPA during our session, she told me that your GPA is good and she went on about how their GPAs to be very saturated and they typically like see us score better on the OAT. She just told me to do "good" on the OAT and she said it in a way where she said "You don't have to blow it out of the water, but just do well." She told me that if I do good on the OAT, I can just write myself a ticket over to SCCO! At the end of the tour and advising session I thought as though she might have thought highly of me, just considering the responses that she gave me.. but overall the campus is wonderful and I am very excited to get myself ready for application season when the time comes.

On a side note, would anyone know if it is heard of that she would create a file for me even though we were just on a standard private tour and advising session? I told one of the ODs that I work with and she said that she probably did make a file for me? I am just concerned because I am not going to be applying until next summer for admission into the Fall 2019 class and I wouldn't want her to forget me..

Lastly, I know that she is the Assistant Dean of Admissions but is she a huge factor in determining what applicants get selected for interviews and overall choosing who gets accepted into the program?

Thanks!

The more face time you get with someone, the more likely they are to remember you.

Whether she made a file on you or not, periodically email on how you are doing. Something along the lines of "Hello Dr. Munroe, I just wanted to inform you that I managed to do well in my current classes. etc etc etc".

She may never see you again unless you contact her. On the other hand she may be the one interviewing you on the day of. Keep in contact. You never know how your cards will play out. Best thing to do is to continue networking with her, be polite and genuinely interested. You will stand out simply for the fact that you were consistent in keeping in touch.

Your GPA is average but will be low if you do not pass all your courses with at least a B. Take what she says with a grain of salt regarding the boost she gave you.
Offsetting a low GPA means doing well on the OAT. Average OAT + Average GPA = interview invite. Read between the lines and continue to work hard. If you have a 3.0+ and an average OAT, you have a high chance of getting an interview invite. Anything else she says is besides the point and a formality to increase your confidence.

The more face time you get with someone, the more likely they are to remember you.

Whether she made a file on you or not, periodically email on how you are doing. Something along the lines of "Hello Dr. Munroe, I just wanted to inform you that I managed to do well in my current classes. etc etc etc".

She may never see you again unless you contact her. On the other hand she may be the one interviewing you on the day of. Keep in contact. You never know how your cards will play out. Best thing to do is to continue networking with her, be polite and genuinely interested. You will stand out simply for the fact that you were consistent in keeping in touch.

Your GPA is average but will be low if you do not pass all your courses with at least a B. Take what she says with a grain of salt regarding the boost she gave you.
Offsetting a low GPA means doing well on the OAT. Average OAT + Average GPA = interview invite. Read between the lines and continue to work hard. If you have a 3.0+ and an average OAT, you have a high chance of getting an interview invite. Anything else she says is besides the point and a formality to increase your confidence.

Awesome! Thank you for your input and advice. I have been meaning to write to her in a sense that you mentioned but just needed more structure on what I should say and how to close the email haha. I forgot to mention that I am taking General Chemistry II right now in the summer term and I am hoping to get an A or B so hopefully that helps me with my GPA.

Once or twice a semester is more than enough.

If you have genuine questions for her "Can you please explain to me how rotations work? Are there research opportunities? Do students usually pursue a combined OD/MS option? Does your school have fellowship opportunities?"

Stuff like that.