How to go about applying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ZeaL6

Class of 2018
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for advice on the applications process. To my dismay I received a 27 on my MCAT (31 AAMC avg.) and signed up for a retake. The first time I had an internship and classes at the same time which was probably a stupid idea, however my practice tests were indicative of the ability to get what I wanted. Now that I'm disappointed and don't have much going on, I'm going to study hard for 7 weeks and hope to hammer it. My AMCAS is verified and is ready to send out, but I don't want to be autoscreened. Should I apply to some lower tiers now, and with a potential MCAT logged in AMCAS maybe they'll put me on hold? Or should I wait until my new score comes out (September) and then apply? I'm kind of pissed because I wanted to apply early but with a 27 my chances are slim anyway. I thought about throwing out like 5-8 apps of the lower tiers (Ohio Resident) and doing the rest later. What does everyone else advise me to do? Thanks so much, I appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad.

If you re-take I would just assume it's not going to be for this cycle, so take whatever time you need to feel awesome about the test.

You could apply to a select few schools and who knows maybe if the rest of your app is awesome some things will happen for you. All things being equal I would say from my experience that a 27 (again, all else being equal) wouldn't get it done. But...I'm sure it has to have happened. I'm just speaking generally. I say maybe apply to a few, save most of the money you would have spent on applications, keep studying, keep working on classes and/or ECs or whatever you have going. Make sure you have everything ready on June 1. I know I said that from my experience a 27 wouldn't get it done. Well from my experience, if you keep working at it, you will get it done...even if it seems crappy for a while. :thumbup::)

I am planning to apply this cycle. I have no preference from MD to DO, I just want to apply to both and see where I think the best opportunity will land me. I feel good about DO, so next year I'll be matriculating somewhere either way. That's why I wanted to ask this because I thought if they saw an MCAT pending, they'd put me on hold. I'm talking about applying to schools like Rowan, NYMC, Drexel, RFU, WMU, NEOMED, Wright State, Toledo right now. Then if I get my scores back in September add more schools if my MCAT is good, and maybe I'll be updated at the previous schools and get an interview? I'm just not sure. I know I'm not waiting til next cycle to apply though.

Members don't see this ad :)
You will be good for DO definitely and most likely MD as long as the rest of your app is decent. And don't dismay too much, 27 is not the end if the world man. Of course they say the AAMC average is 31, but for the most part averages are bull***. Rankings are bull***. What you do is what will matter. I was accepted into my state MD school with 27 MCAT and so was another one of my summer program classmates. I'll be official MS1 in a month. The MCAT does not define you, and adcoms know that. So maybe you won't get into Harvard, but you should be good so long as other parts of your app are strong. Stay true. Stay confident. Apply early bc the #1 reason people get rejected is applying late.

I am planning to apply this cycle. I have no preference from MD to DO, I just want to apply to both and see where I think the best opportunity will land me. I feel good about DO, so next year I'll be matriculating somewhere either way. That's why I wanted to ask this because I thought if they saw an MCAT pending, they'd put me on hold. I'm talking about applying to schools like Rowan, NYMC, Drexel, RFU, WMU, NEOMED, Wright State, Toledo right now. Then if I get my scores back in September add more schools if my MCAT is good, and maybe I'll be updated at the previous schools and get an interview? I'm just not sure. I know I'm not waiting til next cycle to apply though.

It sounds like you know what you want to do. Are you just asking if it is a good plan? Will it change your mind if people say it is not?

You do have a good shot at DO, as London as you have a DO letter and you have also been verified through AACOMAS.

Good luck. I hope things work out for you this cycle.

dsoz

Thanks guys! Yes I was just wondering if it was a good plan or if retaking my MCAT in September wont help me at all. Even if it doesnt help me and I dont get in, DO is within reach so worst case scenario I will have wasted 270 on another MCAT which in the grand scheme of things is nothing.

Thanks guys! Yes I was just wondering if it was a good plan or if retaking my MCAT in September wont help me at all. Even if it doesnt help me and I dont get in, DO is within reach so worst case scenario I will have wasted 270 on another MCAT which in the grand scheme of things is nothing.

Apply to DO schools now with your current mcat score, and then apply in September with AMCAS once you receive your 2nd mcat score. Certain schools won't care if you put you're retaking your mcat and waiting for your score. They'll use whatever you have on file since they might either overlook it, have a policy related to it, or don't care. I know several applicants who got rejected before their second score even came out.

Remember, it's not just submitting your primary application for AMCAS - you should probably pre write your secondaries since all of them will be out by September (except maybe northwestern). I don't think taking the MCAT in September and submitting then is a bad idea at all, but I do think that submitting your AMCAS with a 27 will hurt your chances more than a late application.

Good luck!!

Last edited:
bump. so far one apply now and get it updates, one apply later after I get my score. Thoughts?