How to glean a rec letter from a shadowing experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

axelz165

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be shadowing a cardiologist for a month (48h total). I'd really love to get a letter of recommendation from him since it would look excellent on my application. Anyone have any tips for gleaning on out of a doctor?

Some background, I'm a pharmacy student and was in his office for a day as part of my rotations. I asked his secretary and ARNP if I could shadow him on my month off and they said they'd love to have me as they never get pharmacy students and would value me as a resource.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm going to be shadowing a cardiologist for a month (48h total). I'd really love to get a letter of recommendation from him since it would look excellent on my application. Anyone have any tips for gleaning on out of a doctor?

Some background, I'm a pharmacy student and was in his office for a day as part of my rotations. I asked his secretary and ARNP if I could shadow him on my month off and they said they'd love to have me as they never get pharmacy students and would value me as a resource.
Just be a normal person and ask him once you're done shadowing?

Reactions: 1 user
Just be a normal person and ask him once you're done shadowing?
Wel I mean obviously. I was more looking for tips to get a great letter. Like tips of what other people did during their shadowing experiences with doctors.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you build a decent rapport? If you did, then I don't see why asking them directly would hurt.

If you didn't, ask anyways. What's the worst they'll say? No? Ok, big deal. You still ended up with almost 50hrs of shadowing experience out of it.

When I got both of my LOR's I just expressed my appreciation for the opportunity and explained to them that an LOR would help my application/chances of admission immensely. Both of them were more than happy to help me out. They're not stupid. They know the request is coming. They went through the same thing as pre-meds.

EDIT: Misread original post. My points still stand though.

1) Build a good relationship with physician
2) Be an attentive/inquisitive shadower
3) Ask for LOR
4) ??????
5) Profit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea, there's not real secrets to getting a letter. Every physician is different though and might want to know you better and have you shadow for a number of hours before giving out a letter. Since you're doing 48 you'll be fine. Don't wait till after the experience. When you first get in with him hopefully you'll be able to chat for a quick minute to get to know each other better......then tell him that you would like to get a letter of rec from him. Then ask what he would like you to do so that he would be able to write a good letter for you. Then the whole time you shadow him, that will be in the back of his mind. When you're finished, remind him about writing a letter for you and you'll be golden.

Honestly, all you have to do is act interested and be involved with the doc.

Ask questions (when he/she ISN'T with a patient) about why they did things the way they did or what they were thinking when they asked certain questions. Ask about their medical school experience, talk about hobbies, etc.. just generally act interested and be involved without getting in the way.

If you do this effectively, they may even offer to write you a letter.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

When I asked for my MD LOR, I included my CV and resume for the letter writer to have a more in depth understanding of my background.

A bit late, but never late than never.

Display a strong desire to learn. Ask good questions. I shadowed in the NICU and the pediatric department has biweekly presentations from physicians about their work. I attended those, ask good questions and while shadowing, a physician that presented a lecture I attended, ran into us told the physician I was shadowing "This guy asks a lot of good questions." and the doctor I shadowed said, "I know". I was also told by the admin staff I stood out as a shadower because I looked like I wanted to be there, not there to add onto my resume. So the entire pediatric department liked me and spoke highly of me. This was about a year ago.

I won't be applying for a while, but AAMC recommends you ask for a letter right away because of how busy physicians are. When I asked for a letter and said when I was applying as well as the AAMC advice, the physician said "Don't worry. I wouldn't forget you anytime soon."