How to get involved in research in Pharm school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AprilSmith

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do you get involved in research in pharm school? I got research in undergrad by cold calling, is it the same in grad school? Also, for getting a residency, is there a specific type of research that they are looking for? Like clinical vs benchwork? What's preferred? Any other tips on this topic, like how many hours a week you did research, if and how you presented/got published, how long you worked there, and what year in school you started, would be helpful!

Members don't see this ad.

I was pretty involved in bench research during pharmacy school, through cold-calling, but in retrospect, clinical research would've been more useful in getting into residency (I loved bench research though and thought clinical research was boring). For residency, I would say that that things like GPA/grades (especially in therapeutics courses), performance during clinical rotations, and letters of recommendation are more important. If you're going to do research on top of maintaining grades and everything else, I would focus on clinical research, which would mean cold-calling clinical pharmacists/professors. Clinical research is definitely preferred over bench work in the pharmacy world, especially since it's clinical research that residents end up doing. Actually, a lot of clinical pharmacists that I've encountered, don't really care about bench research and feel like that experience is irrelevant. An easy goal would be to present poster at ASHP MidYear or any other pharmacy conference. I think that would make you look like better candidate for residency. Personally, I ended up working on research during school breaks and during my final rotation year, because classes took up all my time during the school year.

Last edited:
Thank you for such a thoughtful and helpful answer! Much appreciated!