How to get into allergy immunology fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted595450

I will be starting my residency in internal medicine next month. I am interested in allergy-immunology. I have been doing research at mayo clinic for the last two years. I have worked on celiac disease and published 9 papers so far - I agree that my research is not directly related to allergy immunology but I have been doing both clinical and basic science research that involves knowledge of immune system and immunology. I have published in "immunology" which is the journal of British society of immunology and has an impact factor of 3.8

What should I do after starting my residency to make sure that I get into allergy immunology?

I have CS attempt but my score are okay 251/244/218. I have US citizenship but I am an IMG. I will be doing my residency in a community hospital.

Any comments are appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

Disclaimer: I really can't claim to be an expert on this subject, as I am currently in the process of applying and learning about the field myself as I go along.

I believe that if you are truly interested in a subject/field you will find a way. Sorry to be so vague. From the things you have done thus far, they seem pretty good I think. Generally speaking, showing interest in a subject require one to be active in the field, including having posters/abstracts/case reports, meetings, interesting cases, community allergist advise, and definitely apply for the Chrysalis Project from the AAAAI [ http://www.aaaai.org/about-aaaai/service-and-stewardship/chrysalis-project ]. I wish I had found out about the Chrysalis project sooner. Read about the subject and immunology journal. This should be a good start. It's good that you have your mind set on a field, however, since you really haven't experienced all the different fields in medicine, I would still keep an open mind towards other specialties of medicine. Once you start, you might find ID or Nephro or GI or Card or Heme/Onc to stimulate all your senses that you didn't know existed :happy:

Good luck tomorrow 7/1 on starting your residency and your future endeavors

Others please chime in.