How to find out fellowship placement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

axisdog

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. Everyone always talks about how graduates of programs match into great fellowship positions. How do you find out this information...is there a publicized list or something? I've looked on the websites of a few programs and haven't been able to find such a list or anything similar; or is this information that's only given out during interviews?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

As a side question: what constitutes a good % of graduates going into each specialty?

It seems that hospitalist is a growing route, and I'm not sure what sort of number to expect from a University program into something like cards

Members don't see this ad :)
As a side question: what constitutes a good % of graduates going into each specialty?

It seems that hospitalist is a growing route, and I'm not sure what sort of number to expect from a University program into something like cards
It's a meaningless statistic. Interest in various fellowships/practice settings will vary from year to year at any program. And you'll never know the denominator in the equation, which is arguably the most important part of the equation. You have no idea if the fact that a program only placed 1 person in cards last year is because only 1 person applied, or only 1 person actually matched out of the 15 that applied.

Reactions: 1 users
It's a meaningless statistic. Interest in various fellowships/practice settings will vary from year to year at any program. And you'll never know the denominator in the equation, which is arguably the most important part of the equation. You have no idea if the fact that a program only placed 1 person in cards last year is because only 1 person applied, or only 1 person actually matched out of the 15 that applied.

Thanks. That makes sense, I had wondered if that was the case. But I just wasn't sure if there was some magic number I wasn't aware of

there is also the fac tthat some programs attract more residents to a particular specialty given the extent of exposure to a certain specialy at a program. Ie, duke, brigham, hopkins typically attracts or have many of their residents apply into cardiology. On the other hand, Cornell is very heme onc heavy.