How to FAFSA a disabled parent for HPS loan?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Amberlucy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!!

I'm a prepharm student who has an early decision application out for pharmacy school, and so I began looking into financial aid to pay for this costly beast of a degree.

I found info on the Health Professional Student Loan, and I'd like to have that reserved for sort of an emergency back up, but it requires parent information on the FAFSA. My mother does not work and my father is on federal disability. I went back to school at 25, so I've never filled out their info on the FAFSA before.

Does anyone know what information, or documents, or whatever, is required to fill out the portion for my Dad on disability? I'm trying to get this early, he's not the most reliable dude and if he has to request certain forms it could take time. :)

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Your father, who I presume collects Social Security - Disability (SSD) funds from the federal government, should be filing taxes. You declare your SSD benefits as income on your tax return. You do not need to supply any supplemental documentation to a 1040 if you are doing this. However! They do expect you to be declaring the yearly amount based on the SSD Benefits Statement that your father should receive every year. This is a white piece of paper that in big letters says "20XX Benefits Statement" (something to that effect, it definitely has the year in the title) at the top. Furthermore, this document is not an 11 x 8 piece of paper but is in fact about 13 x 8 (longer than a usual piece of paper). Everyone on SSD gets this in the mail and is supposed to keep it on hand.

Make sure your father files taxes!! Use the 2016 SSD benefits statement for the 2017 return. My mom thinks because she collects SSD she doesn't need to file. This is wrong!! People collecting SSD should still fill out a 1040 even if the odds are likely they will not be required to pay the IRS any money and will also not be collecting a refund from the IRS because there are no withholdings on SSD benefits.

When I filled out FAFSA I used all the info from my disabled mom's 1040 to fill out the form JUST LIKE any other student with a working mom would do. I would then send a photocopy of that benefits statement to my school. HOWEVER, this was just because I wanted to send the copy, not because the school explicitly requested it. This worked for me and should work for you.

Your father, who I presume collects Social Security - Disability (SSD) funds from the federal government, should be filing taxes. You declare your SSD benefits as income on your tax return. You do not need to supply any supplemental documentation to a 1040 if you are doing this. However! They do expect you to be declaring the yearly amount based on the SSD Benefits Statement that your father should receive every year. This is a white piece of paper that in big letters says "20XX Benefits Statement" (something to that effect, it definitely has the year in the title) at the top. Furthermore, this document is not an 11 x 8 piece of paper but is in fact about 13 x 8 (longer than a usual piece of paper). Everyone on SSD gets this in the mail and is supposed to keep it on hand.

Make sure your father files taxes!! Use the 2016 SSD benefits statement for the 2017 return. My mom thinks because she collects SSD she doesn't need to file. This is wrong!! People collecting SSD should still fill out a 1040 even if the odds are likely they will not be required to pay the IRS any money and will also not be collecting a refund from the IRS because there are no withholdings on SSD benefits.

When I filled out FAFSA I used all the info from my disabled mom's 1040 to fill out the form JUST LIKE any other student with a working mom would do. I would then send a photocopy of that benefits statement to my school. HOWEVER, this was just because I wanted to send the copy, not because the school explicitly requested it. This worked for me and should work for you.

Awesome!! Thank you so very much. :)