How to begin prep?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

exodian1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

I'm about to begin MS2 in a little bit and I wanted some advice on how to begin board prep studying. I have literally done no prep up to this point other than completing my courses. I'm worried because I attend a DO school and have been doing below average in my first year classes so I feel like beginning some prep right now is important. I won't have much time to put into board prep due to how rigorous my school's curriculum is so just wondering what things I can do a few hours every week before dedicated begins.

My school runs an organ system block curriculum. We finished every organ system last year. This year, we're repeating every organ system but with a focus on the clinical and path of each system. I'd appreciate any help!

Members don't see this ad.

Just my opinion: As long as you can master FA and UWorld (and most would say Pathoma), then you should be good. It might take you longer to master these resources if you are starting off below average or otherwise weaker, but just focus on these resources, master them, and you should do well.

take a Qbank, do an exam and see how you do. Also, do this with a NBME. This should give you an idea of how you are. As for the resources, most people go with UFAP (uworld, first aid, pathoma). Personally, I used lecturio + FA+ uworld and dabbled lightly in pathoma. Point is, uworld and FA are essential, the others are based on simply if you like them or not. Again, for me, lecturio was the real deal (for boards and med school prep), but I also know a lot of people loved pathoma (and other resources as well....there are MANY out there, I would suggest sticking to a few). So, in summary, do your research, see some free vids, take some free trials and make an educated decision about which to use.

also, you can add another Qbank depending on how much time you have.

It does seem that UFAP is the universally accepted method for Step 1 prep. Question regarding UFAP though. From what I've heard most of step 1 consists of year 2 material which I clearly have not started learning yet. So when would I begin doing Uworld questions? It seems pointless to start early if I don't know the material and am gonna get most of the questions wrong.

In terms of first aid usage would it be best to use it along with my blocks? For example neuro is my first block next year so would an ideal study method be to use first aid in addition to studying for the block with lecture material and maybe adding in bros/zanki to reinforce the material?