This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The Mountain

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Its easy to see what the "average" accepted EM resident brings to the table in terms of Step1/2, research, etc. However, does anyone have a good grasp on what the guys getting into the TOP EM programs tend to have on their application that ultimately leads to them getting in???

Here's why I ask.

I'm a third year medical student and I never imagined i'd really be in a position to match into the residency of my choice (or close to my top choice) because my MCAT wasn't anything that outstanding. However, I just laid down a STEP1 score of 261 which has left me with some newfound confidence! Hoping to match into Salt Lake City or Denver specifically. I'm just trying to gauge if its realistic that i pursue these top EM programs like Denver. Any insight is much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Kill step II, audition at your top three-subsequently impress the heck out of everyone there. Do those and you should be good to go!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2 users
There are a number of threads answering this question and it really ends up being the same discussion: high-ish step scores, good clinical grades, killer SLOE's, and an affable personality. If you want to go to one of the programs you mentioned, apply to do aways and crush them.

Denver is generally regarded as a highly competitive program by students nation wide. Utah is a bit newer and may not be on the top of most people's list of prestige, but they only take a few away rotators annually. Plus, there is a niche population of applicants that would absolutely love to spend 3 years in the Wasatch range.

Reactions: 1 user
Reactions: 1 users