Medical How This DO Student Stays Positive and Grounded

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This interview is the latest in an Accepted blog series featuring interviews with medical school applicants and students, offering readers a behind-the-scenes look at top medical schools and the med school application process. And now, introducing Dorothy Faye…

Accepted: We’d like to get to know you! Where are you from? Where and what did you study as an undergrad? When did you graduate?

Dorothy: I was born in the Philippines, but grew up mostly in Bay Area, CA and then moved to the east coast in FL. I went to undergrad at the University of North Florida where I got my Bachelor of Science in Biomedical Sciences and minor in Sociology. I graduated in 2014.

Accepted: Where are you currently attending med school? What year are you?

Dorothy: I am currently a second year osteopathic medical student attending a school a few hours from DC.

Accepted: What motivated you to pursue a career in medicine?

Dorothy: I can’t say that there was just one motivation – to be honest, I truly felt called to go into medicine because I could not see myself doing anything else. The idea that I would be able to influence so many people’s lives and to hopefully help them make the best decisions regarding their health and life is truly a privilege and continues to motivate me to this day.

Accepted: How did the application process go for you? Did you experience any hiccups along the way?

Dorothy: The application process for me was tough because the MCAT was not my strong-suit. I felt that I was a well-rounded student, but of course admissions committees still have to look at your score. If there’s one thing I can change, it would be the way that I prepared for the test because – I felt like I didn’t get to know the test as much as I should have and to explore my options as far as study materials, schedules, etc. Of course overall, I know that I ended up where I am for the best!

Accepted: You have a blog called Life In The Med Lane! What made you want to start blogging? Has it helped you maintain balance in your life?

Dorothy: I have been toying with the idea of starting a blog during my first year, but was just so hesitant about it. After my first year of medical school, I decided to start Life In The Med Lane because I wanted to be able to document my life during medical school, as well as find a creative outlet – since as med students we’re studying all the time. My hope for this blog is to show that finding balance in life is so important especially as a medical student and future physician – where we are constantly pressed for time, under stress, and prone to burnout. Finding ways to de-stress, express creativity, and share my journey through this blog has definitely aided in having a balanced life throughout medical school.

Accepted: What has been your favorite part of med school thus far? What has been the biggest challenge for you?

Dorothy: My favorite part is meeting people from different walks of life – some of whom are now my close friends – and to be able to go through this journey together. We’re able to encourage one another and challenge one another to reach for our goals, while still keeping ourselves grounded. Community is another important thing to me. The biggest challenge is being away from my family, fiancé and friends back home.

Accepted: Lastly, what advice would you give current med applicants? Any tips for success?

Dorothy: Don’t be hard on yourself – the application process, and more generally, life is not going to be perfect. If the first time doesn’t work out, don’t give up! If this is something that you really want or believe you’re called to do, try and try again. I truly believe that the set-backs will only make you a stronger applicant. Stay positive and try to maintain that balance in your life – don’t forget to first and foremost take care of your mind, body, and spirit!

You can follow Dorothy’s journey by checking out her blog Life in the Med Lane or by following her on Instagram (@_dorothyfaye) and Twitter (@dorothyFaye). Thank you Dorothy for sharing your story with us – we wish you continued success!

Related Resources:

The MCAT: What you Actually Need to Study, free on-demand webinar
Medical School Application Strategy: MD vs. DO Programs
Where Should I Apply To Med School?
--------------
This article originally appeared on blog.accepted.com.

Applying to medical school? The talented folks at Accepted have helped hundreds of applicants like you get accepted to their dream programs. Whether you are figuring out where apply, working on your AMCAS application, working on secondary essays, or prepping for your interviews, we are just a call (or click) away. Contact us, and get matched up with the consultant who will help you get accepted!

Members don't see this ad.