How similar is Kaplan to the real OAT

JAB1215

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took a Kaplan OAT prep class this summer and have been studying from the materials they gave me (the big Kaplan OAT book) and have been taking their full-length practice exams. I was wondering, for those of you who have taken the Kaplan course & have used their materials (mostly the practice exams), how similar are these to the real OAT?
Also, I've read that the ADA also has a practice test, which some people have said is similar to the actual OAT, but I haven't been unable to find it. I can only find a pdf version, which obviously doesn't score the sections for you. I was also wondering if anyone had any information regarding that.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

So I took the kaplan course and I used their flash cards and took their practice tests. On the practice tests, I got a 320. However, on the real OAT, I got a 300 AA and 310 TS. It is sort of similar to the real OAT. Just make sure you do alot of practice problems and review the body systems for the biology section and memorize all physics equations.

Hi,

So I took the kaplan course and I used their flash cards and took their practice tests. On the practice tests, I got a 320. However, on the real OAT, I got a 300 AA and 310 TS. It is sort of similar to the real OAT. Just make sure you do alot of practice problems and review the body systems for the biology section and memorize all physics equations.

Thanks so much! Some people have said that the physics section is easier on the real OAT compared to Kaplan, was this the case for your OAT?

Thanks so much! Some people have said that the physics section is easier on the real OAT compared to Kaplan, was this the case for your OAT?
Yes. I do believe the Physics section on the real OAT was easier than the Kaplan ones

Members don't see this ad :)
I also took a Kaplan class and did all of the practice tests before the real OAT. I would say that they are very similar, but I was getting around 340-350 on the practice tests and did much better on the real thing (AA 370). My main way of studying was doing the practice tests, and I did so many of them that the OAT did seem a little easier by comparison, so I would recommend doing as many as you can!

kaplan is much harder in my opinion - i preferred to study with the 3T quest OAT tests (you can buy them online and download them to your computer). the ADA is the most realistic one, but all that's available is the pdf - if you look around on the forum you should be able to find the score conversion chart

I would say that they are pretty similar, however biology topics covered are pretty far apart. This shouldn't be a huge issue, however, because most people pursuing optometry are pretty strong when it comes to biology anyways. I would say that Kaplan is overall a little harder when it comes to scoring, though. I took a practice test 4 days before the real OAT and got a 330/300, but on the actual test I got a 360/350. Anyways, best of luck!