How serious is not disclosing a speeding ticket?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Non-donor Troll

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got a letter from my school stating that they received my background check and it showed a speeding ticket. Now I need to write this whole thing about why I was hiding it from them and they will pass judgement on whether to rescind my acceptance.

How serious is this?
I didn't disclose it b/c I did think I had to. I payed the ticket, and forgot all about it. Until now anyways.

Members don't see this ad.

You're losing your acceptance. Kiss your dreams of med school goodbye. I don't think even carrib schools will take you at this point.

Reactions: 1 user
Happened to me, wrote a letter saying I didn't realize a speeding ticket was a misdemeanor, apologized, and it was fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got a letter from my school stating that they received my background check and it showed a speeding ticket. Now I need to write this whole thing about why I was hiding it from them and they will pass judgement on whether to rescind my acceptance.

How serious is this?
I didn't disclose it b/c I did think I had to. I payed the ticket, and forgot all about it. Until now anyways.

Write a letter, indicate you did not realize you needed to disclose it because you did not realize it was something you were required to disclose, and say you are sorry about not communicating appropriately. That is your only reasonable choice at this point.

Nearly the same thing happened to me except I looked at my background check as soon as it went through and realized I had overlooked that part on my secondary app. I sent my admissions office an email as soon as possible apologizing for the discrepancy. The person at the office said they'd talk to the dean of admissions and get back to me but I never heard from them again (this was almost a month ago), so I guess I'm in the clear. Also, for my school, I believe they cross-referenced the background check the school administered and the one AMCAS administered. The AMCAS one had no record on it so that may have helped my case.

Reactions: 1 users
Is the speeding ticket a crime in the state it happened? If no and the only requirement was to disclose crimes, tell them that's why you didn't

Sounds like it hasn't been a big deal. I imagine it is still a bigger deal getting caught with one than simply disclosing it in the first place.

To clarify, what was the level of this speeding ticket? Were you going 5-10 over and got pulled over on the highway or were you going 60 in a neighborhood with the limit of 30? Could be a different situation if it's more than just the standard speeding ticket, but if it's just the typical speeding ticket I'd guess you'd be fine as everyone else has said.

I did not know speeding was something you had to report!

They're misdemeanors in some states. Hell, go fast enough and it could be a felony (going 35+ over for example).

I am so criminally naive that I really do not know the difference between misdemeanors and felony but today I learned that I am a criminal!

Reactions: 1 users

How serious is this?

Oh my goodness, I remember the days where people would ask this and they would be dismissed as trolls on SDN.

I am so criminally naive that I really do not know the difference between misdemeanors and felony but today I learned that I am a criminal!
Even if it isn't a crime, there are some places you have to report it.

The Medical Board of California has this question on its licensing app:
Have you ever been convicted of, or pled guilty or nolo contendere to ANY offense in the United States, its territories, or a foreign country?

This includes every citation, infraction, misdemeanor and/or felony, including traffic violations. Convictions that were adjudicated in the juvenile court or convictions under California Health and Safety Code sections 11357(b), (c), (d), (e), or section 11360(b) which are two years or older should NOT be reported. Convictions that were later expunged from the record of the court or set aside pursuant to section 1203.4 of the California Penal Code or equivalent non- California law MUST be disclosed.

Now mind you, you will never have a license denied for a speeding ticket. But you might run into some minor trouble if you forget to tell the board.

Even if it isn't a crime, there are some places you have to report it.

The Medical Board of California has this question on its licensing app:

Now mind you, you will never have a license denied for a speeding ticket. But you might run into some minor trouble if you forget to tell the board.

Seems dumb, so I have to remember specifics about speeding tickets from 8+ years ago?