How serious are the boards?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Faux

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are we talking DAT level of specifics?

I'm going through gross section of the decks and its making me relive my trauma of gross anatomy all over again.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
idunno. You kinda-- you know... need it to be a dentist in the US.... or at least a legal one. :cool:

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
yeah its DAT level specific......however given that it is pass/fail and has a high first attempt pass rate its not nearly as stressful as the DAT was, for me at least. i studied for a week for boards part one and passed.

I read a few times you just need score higher than the lowest 10%. Just trying to gauge how much time I should really spend on this exam.
I was told by a 3rd year that it was fairly easy if you're in the top 50% of your class. There's just too much material to cover in such a short period of time. She said to do a quick review then take it as early of possible.

I'm going through gross section of the decks and its making me relive my trauma of gross anatomy all over again.

Back when I took it... not too detailed. All you need is a week of cramming to do well. I remember taking a week off to cram and got a 90 (before P/F) on part I; same thing on Part II. If you're taking the WREB written portion (if it hasn't changed), I don't even think you have to study for more than a day.

Go through Decks once and you'll be fine.

Also taking the boards this summer. Is it really that easy to pass that you can study for only a week? Going through First Aid / Decks makes it seem significantly more intimidating than that.

Also taking the boards this summer. Is it really that easy to pass that you can study for only a week? Going through First Aid / Decks makes it seem significantly more intimidating than that.
is it a dental related first aid or the same as the MD one? Thought FA was like the bible for USMLE? Didn't know boards would get that deep

I, and other friends I studied with, only used First Aid, Youtube videos and old exams.

Members don't see this ad :)
study and you'll be fine. decks are overkill in my opinion

Reactions: 1 user
so this is just my experience but I regret buying deck because the exam didn't reflect what I studied in the deck. My school has a review course and that was the most helpful. I also went over ADA published exams that's on their website, that was very helpful as well. I had the NBDE1 mastery app that I went over twice, it helped a bit (maybe 7-8% of my total exam). Also for the biochem section, there's a booklet for it that's about 124 pages and it did help in a bunch of questions as well.

so this is just my experience but I regret buying deck because the exam didn't reflect what I studied in the deck. My school has a review course and that was the most helpful. I also went over ADA published exams that's on their website, that was very helpful as well. I had the NBDE1 mastery app that I went over twice, it helped a bit (maybe 7-8% of my total exam). Also for the biochem section, there's a booklet for it that's about 124 pages and it did help in a bunch of questions as well.

Yeah I'm not liking decks too much. I was thinking about just going through sketchy micro/pathoma and some physio vids. Might be more time consuming but at least its more enjoyable.

I've heard from a lot of people at my school that old exams are the way to go. I definitely plan on going through them, but my concern is being able to keep organized when I study (i.e. Having to switch from dental anatomy to micro to anatomical sciences etc.). Would anyone have any recommendations about First Aid or other material?

I am convinced that this exam has simply become a money thing after they changed it from pass/fail. With that being said, the majority of people I know who took it went into the exam, some studying for 2 months and others a week, and they all equally seemed to have felt like they failed the exam miserably. I remember going into the exam, taking it, and feeling the exact same way after studying solid for a good 4 weeks. When everyone gets the news that they passed, and trust me, pretty much everyone passes with the exception of 0-2 people per year out of a class of 130+, you will probably laugh while questing if they mixed up your student ID number with some other dental student in the country.

Seriously though, go through decks once and don't spend too much time on one concept. Study for a few weeks, take the exam, feel like you failed, get the results, realize you passed, laugh, and carry on.

Reactions: 9 users
I am convinced that this exam has simply become a money thing after they changed it from pass/fail. With that being said, the majority of people I know who took it went into the exam, some studying for 2 months and others a week, and they all equally seemed to have felt like they failed the exam miserably. I remember going into the exam, taking it, and feeling the exact same way after studying solid for a good 4 weeks. When everyone gets the news that they passed, and trust me, pretty much everyone passes with the exception of 0-2 people per year out of a class of 130+, you will probably laugh while questing if they mixed up your student ID number with some other dental student in the country.

Seriously though, go through decks once and don't spend too much time on one concept. Study for a few weeks, take the exam, feel like you failed, get the results, realize you passed, laugh, and carry on.

It easy to say that in hindsight but those weeks leading up the exam are intimidating as ****. Its hard to go into an exam knowing you know 60% of what you studied. It goes against the very nature of what 99% of us have been doing our entire lives. That said, I totally agree with you lol.

This is so spot on

To keep your mind at east, I recommend focusing on clinical entry exams that you may have while waiting for your results. I did a quick analysis and found that if I didn't pass my clinical entry exams, I would delay my clinic entry by a month VERSUS if I didn't pass my boards and pass clinical entry exams, I wouldn't be delayed for clinic entry, I'd just have to work extra harder to find time to study and retake....

For those that passed, what scores were you guys getting on mastery ap?

It's P/F. you need to answer around 67% of the questions to pass. They do not update the questions routinely (and true to dentistry form are very poorly written). If you pay attention to your basic sciences and flip through a firstaid/dental decks x1 you will be adequately prepared.

you'll pass. only 1 person failed in 2018 and 1 in 2016...you'll be fine.

According to ADA data:

NBDE Part 1 Failure Rates:

2010: 5.3%
2011: 4.5%
2012: 6.1%
2013: 6.3%
2014: 3.7%
2015: 3.4%
2016: 5.2%

The test is administered to roughly 9-10k people annually, so only a few hundred students fail each year.

Last edited:
Failing a year into the future is pretty impressive stuff. I'm also pretty certain that while the vast majority pass, far more than 1 person a year fails. According to ADA data:

NBDE Part 1 Failure Rates:

2010: 5.3%
2011: 4.5%
2012: 6.1%
2013: 6.3%
2014: 3.7%
2015: 3.4%

The test was administered to roughly 8-9k people annually, so a few hundred students fail each year.
yes, only 1 person a year fails, and it is possible to obtain data from 2018 o_O:claps:
class of 2018 and class of 2016 at NYUCD****

if i remember correctly, OP attends NYUCD

very...VERY SERIOUS
Plank-plank-ed-edd-n-eddy-24146324-259-194.jpg

What are decks?

They are a set of several hundred flashcards with NBDE questions on them. They have answers on the back as well as background information on the topic. You use them to study off of and they are quite extensive. They used to be the standard study method, but in recent years the NBDE mastery app has shown to be another viable alternative to the decks.

how serious are the boards?

you need to pass them to get licensed....and at my school (if i remember correctly) you need it to advance to the next class. so, very serious.

you're smart enough to get into dental school, so your study habits should be decent. give yourself enough time and read through review guides and class notes.

I know they say that the passing rates are extremely high, however my school had extremely high (around 20%) fail rate for NBDE part 1. Its quite unnerving when we are given about 2.5-3 weeks of our summer break to study for boards...

I know they say that the passing rates are extremely high, however my school had extremely high (around 20%) fail rate for NBDE part 1. Its quite unnerving when we are given about 2.5-3 weeks of our summer break to study for boards...
Jeeze. What school is this?

Don't worry about it Texas. I wouldn't want a person living in paradise with basically 0$ debt to be worried. Damn Texas.
Yeah it's pretty great. A&M actually pays their students to attend. Every student that gets accepted receives a scholarship that covers the full COA. Here's the kicker, we don't even have to study. They only accept the best of the best applicants. A majority of the students come in knowing absolutely everything to pass NBDE1 before they even set foot in the classroom. Just having a DDS from A&M guarantees you a spot in any residency program in the country regardless of your rank or exam scores. A&M truly is the best dental school in the country.:)

Yeah it's pretty great. A&M actually pays their students to attend. Every student that gets accepted receives a scholarship that covers the full COA. Here's the kicker, we don't even have to study. They only accept the best of the best applicants. A majority of the students come in knowing absolutely everything to pass NBDE1 before they even set foot in the classroom. Just having a DDS from A&M guarantees you a spot in any residency program in the country regardless of your rank or exam scores. A&M truly is the best dental school in the country.:)
Yeah ok Texas

No kidding? The most recently published nbde part 1 failure rate was about 3%. 20% is way over the national average, are you sure that number is accurate?
f58688360544199aecb7f84a34821b64.jpg

Yes it was around 20% I know it's extremely high... I take my test in a week right out of first year!

Forgot all about this thread. I passed it last summer but spent way too much time studying for it. Should have gave my self 2 weeks at most. Studied for most of the summer and I'm practically burning out at this point.

Reactions: 3 users
Forgot all about this thread. I passed it last summer but spent way too much time studying for it. Should have gave my self 2 weeks at most. Studied for most of the summer and I'm practically burning out at this point.

Can you share how you would prepare for it for 2weeks plz? Thank you so much

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

If you go over you dental decks once you will be fine. The boards are a joke. The regional clinical exams are slightly harder, and they will charge you a grand or so for each part you have to retake.

Can you share how you would prepare for it for 2weeks plz? Thank you so much

I just used the Dental mastery app primarily for about 12 days and did a few old released exams and passed.

smart person congratulations, you will do a good dentist in this country too.

I just used the Dental mastery app primarily for about 12 days and did a few old released exams and passed.

Did you buy the premium version?
ImageUploadedBySDN1516300916.191340.jpg

Is this app the one you mentioned?
Thank you for the answer