How screwed am I if I take MCAT in July?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CuriosityKillsMe

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've decided to take the MCAT in July in order to maximize my MCAT score as much as possible to make up for a low GPA. If I do this, I'm planning on submitting my actual application without my MCAT score in July as well to have summer course grades added on. If I do it like this will this effect me greatly? Will I become less competitive? My main concern is whether I will I be screened out of schools and not even receive secondaries?

Members don't see this ad.

July is okay. You would be more screwed if you rushed things and took it before you were completely prepared. Just how low is the GPA you are attempting to overcome?

Retook my mcat in July while also applying that cycle with an average/ below average gpa and have faired ok in this cycle although I feel it delayed my apps being reviewed at quite a few schools who wait for your new Mcat to be in. If you're unsure of how you're going to do and are fond of the DO philosophy I would consider throwing some DO schools into the mix!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
I took mine in July. It definitely had an impact. Most of my interview invites were delayed, and I possibly lost other ones that I may have had a chance at if I had applied on time (basing this on the fact that I got into a better school than some of the ones that didn't even offer me an interview). However, I still got into my top pick for med school.

It was a needlessly stressful cycle because I wasn't complete until August and I would not recommend doing it unless you absolutely have to. However, it's not a death sentence if you have to, and as others have said, it's better to apply later with a better MCAT score than to apply on time with a **** score.

It's a cost benefit analysis. How much better do you think you can do in July, rather than say May (which would just squeeze the score release out in time for the "earliest" June 30 AMCAS transmittance of applications to med schools)? July is a little late IMO b/c you won't get the scores until August and possibly be complete until early September. Regardless of the stress part it also reduces your chances, which is never good.

Unless you think taking it in July can raise your score by 5 points at least I would recommend considering mid-May (IMHO 507 complete 6/30 is better than 512 complete 9/1)

Overall GPA would be around a 3.5 maybe a high 3.4 with a somewhat of a upward trend, this in not factoring in school work for the upcoming fall 2017 semester which is when I'm graduating. My low GPA is due to familial and personal issues which I talk about somewhat in my PS. I'm trying to maximize the possibility of getting a 512+ to make me more competitive for top 40 schools. Obviously, if the MCAT comes out low theres no amount of justification that can make me eligible for entry.

Last edited:
Overall GPA would be around a 3.5 maybe a high 3.4 with a somewhat of a upward trend, this in not factoring in school work for the upcoming fall 2017 semester which is when I'm graduating. My low GPA is due to familial and personal issues which I talk about somewhat in my PS. I'm trying to maximize the possibility of getting a 512+ to make me more competitive for top 40 schools. Obviously, if the MCAT comes out low theres no amount of justification that can make me eligible for entry.
What's your BCPM? Consider a gap year or two to further develop/ showcase your interest in medicine - it can go a looooong way. If you're not interested in a gap year I highly recommend looking into DO programs to apply to as well if you end up with something below 85th percentile for the MCAT.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

A 3.4x/32 is borderline for getting in at all, let alone the top few dozen schools. Do your best for the MCAT but keep realistic expectations.

For your original question I think a July test date -> complete in August is fine. The usual rule of thumb is to have your last thing in (whether that be letters, scores, secondaries) by Labor Day.

I took my MCAT on the very last day it was offered in 2016, September 10th. The rest of my application was complete, the MCAT was the last piece of the puzzle. Did it cost me some interview invites? Yes, it certainly did. But did I still get accepted to medical school that cycle? Yes, I did. For me it came down to timing; I was not going to wait another year to apply early, when I could apply late and still get accepted for this year. But to be clear, I was also not looking to get into a prestigious school. I was aiming to be accepted to my home state MD school, and that is what I got.

Reactions: 1 user
^ Would not recommend hitting complete in mid October ! Very different than complete in August !

^ Would not recommend hitting complete in mid October ! Very different than complete in August !

Yea that's a headache I wouldn't wish on anyone.

Well. Except for Greg.

I took my MCAT on the very last day it was offered in 2016, September 10th. The rest of my application was complete, the MCAT was the last piece of the puzzle. Did it cost me some interview invites? Yes, it certainly did. But did I still get accepted to medical school that cycle? Yes, I did. For me it came down to timing; I was not going to wait another year to apply early, when I could apply late and still get accepted for this year. But to be clear, I was also not looking to get into a prestigious school. I was aiming to be accepted to my home state MD school, and that is what I got.
That will work fine when your home state school is North Dakota. Not so much for many other states.

I'll chime in as I took a July MCAT my first go around, I would not reccomend it given scores won't be out until August and app potentially not complete until September. Some schools won't even look at the rest of your app until you are complete. They aren't lacking applicants to look at with complete apps. I also had similar stats GPA wise and for someone with our GPA September is late. I would encourage some DO apps as well if you are dead set on applying this year but keep in mind do not just apply to simply apply, trust me and all those who had to do the process more than once it is far from desirable. But with 505+ MCAT you should get some DO love even with that submission timeline. Good luck and go with what you are comfortable doing.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took the MCAT in July and had 30+ secondaries completed within 4 days after my score release (sub 508): coffee, 90's rap, and determination.

Received my first MD ii in September, then one in October, November, December, and March. You'll be fine, just don't slack on getting those secondaries submitted.

Reactions: 3 users
I took the MCAT in July and had 30+ secondaries completed within 4 days after my score release (sub 508): coffee, 90's rap, and determination.

Received my first MD ii in September, then one in October, November, December, and March. You'll be fine, just don't slack on getting those secondaries submitted.

This is definitely important. I only applied to 14 schools, and I had almost all of the secondaries completed before my scores even came out. Only 2 pre-screened, so the other 12 automatically sent secondaries once my primary was in even though they didn't have scores yet. Obviously, I wasn't complete until they had scores, but it helped to use the waiting time to get secondaries done.

Reactions: 2 users
Sorry for the bump but I have a 3.8 cGPA and 3.7 sGPA for MD-PhD, Canadian at an Ivy. My clinical volunteering is my weaker point (but I think I can add 35-40 more during the summer) and I'm not sure how stand out my LoRs will be, with significant research and good research LoRs. I really think delaying to July would give me more practice time...thoughts?

Sorry for the bump but I have a 3.8 cGPA and 3.7 sGPA for MD-PhD, Canadian at an Ivy. My clinical volunteering is my weaker point (but I think I can add 35-40 more during the summer) and I'm not sure how stand out my LoRs will be, with significant research and good research LoRs. I really think delaying to July would give me more practice time...thoughts?

GPA is a little below average for MD/PhD. Clinical experience doesn't really matter for dual degree, just have some on your app. To be competitive you need to score 515+.

Far more important is your research experience. What is that like? If it is not strong, I recommend taking a year off to bolster your research experience and give yourself more time to score well on the mcat.

If it is already strong (1.5 years at least of sustained research, independent project, at least have some presentations / a thesis, papers not required but help), then do whatever you can to get a high mcat score.

Thank you for your response! I started working in research from my freshman year of high school (my parents didn't have connections, I just got lucky) so I have been in research for a while and know that I'm passionate about it. I didn't do as much freshman year because I was a little burnt out but I have Summer fellowships 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 (named/awards), some work 2015 Spring, all year sophomore year, had to withdraw from research course Fall 2016 because of sickness/new PI mismatch, Spring 2017 and now the summer. Summer Program poster presentation x2, was told that I could be some kind of author on an outgoing paper for this summer but not sure how that is atm, and also I will do a senior thesis. LoRs from 3 PIs, all good relationships, 1 I'm very close with.

I think I am capable of performing well on the MCAT given just a bit more time, but am getting overwhelmed right now with trying to cram it so quickly.

How much clinical experience? My advisor was a downer on it - I have like 15 hours (RIP me) but if I submit my AMCAS just prior to August score release, I should be able to get in more hours. (This is my whole story here Advice on moving MCAT test date back to July, etc. ) Thanks again!

I took the MCAT July 8th (ish) but I pre wrote all of my secondaries so when my score came in I submitted and was complete with most schools by mid-late August. I highly recommend pre-writing secondaries (with the use of SDN)

For me, I knew that an extra year would not add significant value to my application, so I was ready to apply.
Everyone's case is different, but I did not feel like it handicapped me at all. My first II was September 7th, last interview was in January.

I took the MCAT July 8th (ish) but I pre wrote all of my secondaries so when my score came in I submitted and was complete with most schools by mid-late August. I highly recommend pre-writing secondaries (with the use of SDN)

For me, I knew that an extra year would not add significant value to my application, so I was ready to apply.
Everyone's case is different, but I did not feel like it handicapped me at all. My first II was September 7th, last interview was in January.
Thank you so much for sharing your experience! Did you submit AMCAS before or after the MCAT?

Thank you so much for sharing your experience! Did you submit AMCAS before or after the MCAT?

I submitted AMCAS before (verified in June) and planned to apply with my MCAT no matter what the score was. It is definitely risky and I cannot outright suggest anyone actually does that but I was scoring above my intended target on my practice tests and felt confident.

Thanks Neuro25_! I have heard that you should absolutely be complete prior to labour day, so if I submitted a week or two before the day MCAT scores come out, would I be ok? Or alternatively, is there any advantage to submitting AMCAS early if the MCAT scores come out late? The later I submit the more time I have to add clinical volunteering, which is why I'm leaning that way.

Thanks for the breakdown, Gonnif! I didn't really understand the process and your post was very helpful. So if I submit my application, say, by the end of July/very early August (which should give me some time to do extra volunteering) and my school will upload the LoRs/transcripts for me, I should be in an ok position to have my IIs (should I be lucky enough to get them) on schedule?
Would that make July 21/22 the latest dates or is July 30th also ok?
I am a little nervous about delaying it but I think it'll be worth it if I can truly put my best foot forward.

Thanks Neuro25_! I have heard that you should absolutely be complete prior to labour day, so if I submitted a week or two before the day MCAT scores come out, would I be ok? Or alternatively, is there any advantage to submitting AMCAS early if the MCAT scores come out late? The later I submit the more time I have to add clinical volunteering, which is why I'm leaning that way.

If you plan on submitting before your MCAT then do it ASAP to prevent any issues. Again, you risk submitting with a score which may/may not be strong.

If you are going to wait for your scores, then again, pre write your secondaries while waiting for your MCAT score to return and be aware that the verification process can take 4-6 weeks (depending on the volume of applications so not sure what the traffic is like in late July-August). Have all letters of recommendation/transcripts on file with AMCAS, then be prepared to submit your secondaries immediately upon verification so you can be complete as soon as possible. At this rate, the earliest you will be complete would be mid to late September which is not really that bad. (I was complete early September)

It is all worth it if you are positive this is your best application, your best MCAT score and your best well written secondaries. Good Luck!

Thank you again Neuro25_, for your insight! I am not afraid of submitting it with a risky score, but I am concerned about the time it will take to revise and draft quality essays/clinical volunteering, so I think I will aim to submit the application by the end of July (so a little after I write the MCAT) and then pre-write the secondaries through August. Do you think it's worth submitting the primary later in order to add some more clinical time? A little worried about it. Congratulation on your successes!

Thank you again Neuro25_, for your insight! I am not afraid of submitting it with a risky score, but I am concerned about the time it will take to revise and draft quality essays/clinical volunteering, so I think I will aim to submit the application by the end of July (so a little after I write the MCAT) and then pre-write the secondaries through August. Do you think it's worth submitting the primary later in order to add some more clinical time? A little worried about it. Congratulation on your successes!

Thank you!!

The only way I would say wait for more clinical experiences is if your application is sorely, sorely lacking it..

Otherwise, if you are just going to add an additional month or two of clinical time, then no. You can always provide schools with updates throughout the cycle and this actually becomes advantageous when you are waiting for interview decisions and are writing updates and/or letters of intent. Its kind of like "but wait, there's more! :smuggrin:"